1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John Nalbone vs. Joey Haynos

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Sep 2, 2009.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
  2. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    so we're not keeping only two? Oooooo........ mar....

3. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    trade Martin?

4. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

no. he was a big part of our passing game last year, and IMO outplayed Fasano in all aspects of the game for the most part.

5. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I'd say that Martin looks to be the guy on the outs because of his salary and the fact that none of the group of Nalbone, Haynos and Martin really distinguished themselves this offseason or preseason...Haynos has more experience and size but Nalbone has more upside..but again...other than Fasano who are these guys ??

6. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thing is, despite the potential they have, do you want to keep a guy who has 0 NFL Regular Season Game experience and a guy who has only been used in the goalline offense over a guy who has been the other half of the monster that was our tight end duo last season?

7. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    They want to replace Martin, but I don't think they have succeeded in doing so at this point.

I'd be really shocked if he wasn't on the team this year. His ability to be a threat on the intermediate/deeper routes a TE can run is rare. He's almost like a poor man's Antonio Gates or Tony Gonzalez, in that he's one of the few guys who can really threaten to come up with a big play on a skinny post or something like that. He plays like a big WR, for both good and ill, in a way most tight ends cannot. They'll probably try to replace it next year, but they don't have that right now.

GISH likes this.
  8. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    we'll know very soon
    however
    consider Martin is a made-over large WR & we drafted Patrick Turner for the Red Zone @ 6'5"

9. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Back to the thread topic: Haynos has more experience but mostly on the PS, right? Nalbone is bigger and can supposedly catch better but he's a rookie, right? If we keep 3 TE's, it seems Nalbone should go on the PS for a year, then next TC we might be better equipped to get rid of or trade Martin, if that is the long term plan.

10. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    My prediction is John Nalbone makes the team over Joey Haynos.

As for DMart I think he is great, and a great recieving TE who can stretch the field, I also feel he is trade bait as there are several teams in the market for Te and we can barely sort through the guys we have.

Philly is in the market, I'd bet KC is as well.

11. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I guess what I'm thinking is that our TE position wasn't so 'monster' last season. 65 receptions for 901 yds is not 'monster' for two TEs. Given the play of the WRs as a group and the inability to run the ball consistently, you'd think they'd have been a much bigger part of the offensive equation. The question is how they really feel about Martin, moreso than what they feel about either Haynos or Nalbone...

12. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I agree Brother on Nalbone making the team. I don't think he will make the PS, and if he did, I don't think he would last very long.:wink2:

13. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hmm...I was thinking more along the lines of no lasagna and canoli when Anthony Sparano went back to the Northeast to visit the family.

:shifty:

Seriously though, I love Haynos's size, he could easily add 20 pds and be a stud blocking Te type but he just hasn't shown enough while blocking this preseason.

6'7 280pd Te's who can run and block well are hard to find.

14. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    These two are are some of the 10 guys that Tony will be looking very closely at during the last game.:wink2:

15. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I can only really find 4 teams with more TE production than Miami. Kansas City, Dallas, New Orleans, and Denver- All teams who have dropped a ton more resources on the position than the Dolphins have.

I'd also argue that Patrick Cobbs production as a receiver should be counted in with the Tight Ends, as virtually all of it came as a H-Back or split out wide vs. a LB, which would put us like 3rd on that list.

16. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Who screwed up?

17. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    This threads from 2009.......

[​IMG]

Alex13, Fin D and P h i N s A N i T y like this.