1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

john bonham, fool in the rain

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by anlgp, Dec 16, 2009.

1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

in this out-take video the rest of the song is stripped away and you can hear john bonham performing what is known in the drumming world as a half time shuffle.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14GYov0EdyQ"]YouTube- Led Zeppelin's John Bonham Drum Out Takes - Fool in the Rain[/ame]

his technique was so incredible and innovative. if you listen to beteen 29 and 31 seconds on this video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlfyY_mZCVo"]YouTube- Led Zeppelin-Good times bad times[/ame]

you will also hear triplet notes on a single bass drum pedal as he didn't have a double bass (and i'm pretty sure that a double bass had yet to be invented). the technique for this is very hard and as I've talked to my dad (a drummer for 20 some years who can actually play this stuff..) he describes it as more of a nervous twitch than a technique.. except that bonham must have had it down pat as a practicing and touring musician..

good god bonham was awesome.

2. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Bonham's drums; Page's guitar; Jones' bass; Plant's voice.

Lightning in a bottle; like the gods wanted to hear perfection, and just...conjured it.

What's interesting - and sad - is that this sort of confluence occurred so much in the '60s, (Yardbirds, Cream, Beatles, Stones, Kinks, etc, etc, etc.) yet so rarely thereafter.

maynard and anlgp like this.
  3. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    I remember exactly where is was the moment I heard that Bonham had died. I wept......

anlgp likes this.
  4. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

agreed nabo. if you look at the years zeppelin put out led zeppelin 1 January 12, 1969 through "houses of the holy" in March 28th 1973 (their first 5 albums, which you don't even have to argue to get people to agree has their most influential works on them) that's only 4 YEARS. The amount of good music in that span to me from one band is incredible. zep is both an influence to me as a guitar player and musician but as a person. you guys know i'm a youngin but my dad as previously mentioned is a drummer and was in cover bands back in his youth (the time when all your previously mentioned bands were large and in charge). and they covered them. so i was brought up on the music from that era.

likewise if you take a look at the beatles Help! through The White Album were released in the same amount of time frame. The Beatles have other great works, of course, but the amount of good songs in that time frame is likely impressive.

I'm not too much of a fan of the Stones (the beatles always win that "Beatles or Stones" argument for me) but the yardbirds had Beck, Clapton & Page.. and Cream (who's work I have heard and admired) had Clapton..

eesh man.

I remember asking my dad what happened to zeppelin when I heard stairway to heaven for the first time. I can remember where we were :lol:

we were driving down main street in town near a pizza joint and a medieval gaming store (both of which are still there) and I asked what had happened to them. and he said they stopped touring. I asked why. He said the drummer died.

I think not too long after I heard about Hendrix and the Beatles... : /

NaboCane likes this.
  5. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    id say about half the time i listen to them, im just listening to the drums and waiting on some of his variations that i know are coming. their music is to me the only music that i can call satisfying