1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joey Porter

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Zod, Dec 31, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm starting this thread because I'm tired of reading this tired commentary concerning Joey Porter.

"The Dolphins signed linebacker Joey Porter to a contract that includes $20 million in guaranteed money, but he has displayed little of the ferocity that made him a Pro Bowl player in Pittsburgh."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2007/12/31/1231dolphins.html

Could one person tell me the lack of individual production of Joey Porter that is repeatedly referenced? Is it the 1.5 sack differential from last year?

http://www.nfl.com/players/joeyporter/careerstats?id=POR135132

Joey Porter is who we thought he was! :lol:

2. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    considering his slow start due to injury/surgery and the joke of a team he was on this season i think he played very well. Especially down the stretch. With a healthy channing crowder and hopefully zach thomas next season our LB core will be truely one of the best in the league. Lets just hope their all back and healthy though.

3. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    He's a big reason the defense was so god awful early in the year. 20 million guaranteed is a TON of money to commit to a player. The signing was terrible. Our defense was terrible, the season was terrible, not really sure how you can spin it positive to be honest.

4. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Peezy had his moments....nothing like what he did with the Steelers, but we have very few vocal leaders on the team. As long as Porter maintains his control and doesn't make too many unsportsmanlike penalties, I think he is an asset to this team. He was injured early on and didn't have much help. Let him earn his $$$$ here. :thumbup:

5. Dominizzo

Dominizzo New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Joey Porter is played well...he came strong..he will be special next year

6. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    The key point here is that we gave him 20 million guaranteed, this isn't baseball, thats a huge contract. You don't give nice players or decent players that kind of cash. He's a good player thats inconsistant and on the decline, I honestly think this signing has a lot to do with why Wayne H. decided to redo the front office.

7. Hugo Guzman

Hugo Guzman New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    He struggled to recover from his minor knee surgery, and struggled to adjust to a new roll, but had 38 tackles (32 solo), 4.5 sacks, two interceptions and a forced fumble in the final 8 games.

That's pretty damn good; would project to 76 tackles, 9 sacks, 4 interceptions, and 2 forced fumbles.

As far as I'm concerned, Porter likely has 2-3 good seasons left in him, if his knee holds up.

8. Dominizzo

Dominizzo New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    POrter will be goood.... he will play in the 3-4 and that is where he excels!!! HEs happy PArcells is gonna clean house

9. Phins28

Phins28 Up the Irons

Dec 4, 2007
    Puerto Rico
    remember he played out of position this year, at pittsburgh he played all his career at rolb, his job was to rush the qb, now his the strong side linebacker, he has to cover the te, fight double teams etc, etc... i think it was a solid pickup for us.

10. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Again, when you play a weakside 3-4 OLB on the strongside in what ended up being a base 4-3, what are you really expecting? I'll bet that Porter, if returned to that weakside in the 3-4 which should happen given Parcells' penchant for it, will be better next year than this year barring injury.

11. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    I think Joey Porter has played good once he got healthy and got used to the D he showed he can play

12. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Joey Porter lined up as a traditional 4-3 defensive end for the first half of the season, which is a position he'd never played before.

Is it any wonder he improved when he stopped playing that position?