1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joey Porter, Release, Trade or ???

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Feb 10, 2010.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    ]
    As a side note to the Joey Porter being traded to the Cardinals for Boldin trade speculation, along with the #3 a couple of things that should be looked at are:

Or he was untradeable and would be released

Or he would be kept and he can stew for all Ireland and Parcell's cared

The situation is somewhat comparable to Jason Taylor's in 2007 when, after a 1-15 season, JT went on Dancing with the Stars, won, and then went on the promotional tour and refused to take part in the offseason program and asked for a trade.

JT's value was determined to be a #2 pick, and through the Spring and Summer it appeared no one would bite and JT would holdout or retire or whatever.

Porter has made it clear he wishes to be gone and apparently the Staff feels Wake and Anderson were the future at Lb, but Ireland played dumb about the whole situation and said he never heard Porter's interview.

JP is owed a 1 million dollar roster bonus in March, and a smaller workout bonus along with his base 3.5 million dollar salary.

Now keep in mind, Ireland and Tuna don't live in a vaccuum and they have two situations to compare with each other.

Namely, Matt Roth's stealth holdout on the eve of Training Camp 2009, they took the middle road of placing him on the PUP with inseason activation eligibility, once activated Roth did not play well, was released, and was a absolute Beast for the Browns and finished in the Top 15 in PFF's OLB rankings.

They gave away Roth, or acceded to his demands, and it did not turn out well for the Dolphins.

To me, that seals the deal, Porter is not going anywhere without recompensation to the Dolphins, Parcell's has been around the game for a long time, I can't see him allowing two players to hustle the Dolphins within 6 months of each other.

What say you?

2. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Totally agree with you, especially in what looks like an uncapped year expect JP around here as long as it takes for Ireland & Parcells to pull off a similar trade to the one that sent JT to the Skins.

3. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Exactly PR, do folks suppose Ireland and Tuna got their feelings hurt so now they are going to give Joey Porter exactly what he wants?

Why would they do that?

:lol:

4. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I see ur point, but Parcells doesnt like disruption either, and not sure Sporano and JP can even look at each other anymore, I think they try like gangbusters to trade him.....if they do trade him, they eat the 1 million, which would be fine if they get a decent pick for him talking 3rd and up...maybe he is included on that Q trade.....or maybe BP holds onto him in hopes that somebody on another team gets injured during camp(not that u root for injuries, but u know what I mean) and are forced into giving something they normally wouldnt for JP in next year's draft...

dolfan7171 and padre31 like this.
  5. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    Same exact scenario I had pointed out in a different Porter thread. No reason at all for them to just cut him. Especially in an uncapped year. If another team wants him let them fork out some picks. If no trade is in place before his actual salary kicks in then you consider actually cutting him.

2 years ago he had 17.5 sacks. Last year in what is considered an "off year" he played hurt and missed a game and yet he still had 9 sacks. He's worth a decent pick so eating the 1.2 Mill bonus IMO is a no brainer.

gafinfan likes this.
  6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Exactly, there was -0- thought that JP would be cut outright after the season, he pops his head into the media talks some smack, so now they cut him?

Err.what?

On the heels of Matty Roth playing them, and then landing in Cleveland and kicking butt, they are going to do what is best for the Dolphins...period.

JP can say whatever he wants, he can hold out participation from workouts, but at the end of the day, his NFL rights are held by the Dolphins whether he likes Sparano or doesn't like him.

dolfan7171 and finyank13 like this.
  7. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    this is what I was saying on the Q thread, the team has alllllllllllll of the say, you holdout or dont show up, tell you what 3.5 million will go quick...however if it gets that testy Pads I see them cutting him before the season starts..I mean lets say August 25 rolls around and he hasnt shown up, and is telling Miami to screw...they will cut him....but that is last resort, one that is unlikely to happen...money talks brother...be back in a few going to shovel

8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Even better, they can fine him 30k a day until the season ends.

And even inseason, JP would have value, 18 teams or more run the 3-4, OLB's get injured, Porter would be available.

It just makes more sense to hang onto him.

gafinfan likes this.
  9. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    they could suspend him, and bar him from the facility, while they work out a deal for him, but at that point who gives anything of value for him.....haha! would be funny to see I must admit

10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    JP knows we froze Roth for what 7 games?

Led the AFCE in sacks, 18 teams (or more) run the 3-4, Porter has value don't let the yibber yabber from Porter tell you any differently his best chance to land one more payday before Labor Armageddon in 2011 is to be released now and sign a 1 yr deal with a large signing bonus imho that is why he is flapping his gums.

And all the more reason why they should not let him play them like a violen.

gafinfan and finyank13 like this.