1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joey Porter expects to play/Outside LB summary

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CrunchTime, Sep 2, 2008.

1. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    And he will be playing his natural position the one that made him a three time all pro .

This has become possible because Matt Roth will start on the left side

Linebacker Joey Porter expects to play, and hopes to switch sides -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

BTW Jeff Ireland feels this way about the existing LB core

Personally I didnt think the Roth experiment at LB would work but it seems that he has fit in very nicely with Channing Crowder .Adding Joey Porter on the right side will add another interesting dimension to the LB core if he plays up to his past performances .

2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Great read Crunch.

Porter's injuries worry me a little bit. In the article, it said that the camp took a toll on him. He suffered a couple injuries this off-season. I wonder how long his body holds up. He's always been in great shape or as long as I can remember but he is 31 years old and I'm interested to see how he fairs in future camp(s).

Regarding the moving of Roth to LB, I thought it could work but only if he was a situational stand-up pass rusher. I wasn't sure what to expect from him in coverage. He has done a nice job thus far. One of the key things is that he will be able to help in the run game which was our weakness last year.

I really like Charlie Anderson on the outside. I expected him to fill in the void left by Taylor but that has changed with the emergence of Roth at his new spot.

CrunchTime likes this.
  3. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    I see Anderson having an important role too .He has a different skill set than Roth and they can alternate at the position depending on the situation thats called for

4. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    this is some fantastic news for us. First off its great the porter is returning, and its even better that he's back at his natural position. Hopefully he can turn in a pro bowl season for us this year, that would be an incredible help for us in having a successful season as a team.

Also, good news that the transition with Roth has worked out as well. Im thinking if it didnt, he may have been on the outside looking in when it came to cut time. Hopefully he continues to be good for us, especially against the run. Also, as alen stated, he's held his own in pass coverages too.

I think the LB position on this team is pretty strong, and probably underestimated by alot of fans(especially of other teams). Porter, Crowder, Ayodele, Anderson, Roth... Aside from porter, not really any huge nfl names there, but as a unit, they seem to be working well, really thats the most important thing.

CrunchTime likes this.
  5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Torbor, who everyone forgets lol. Hes made some nice plays in pre-season and was actually ahead of Ayodele for a period during TC. Solid contributor.

brandon27 likes this.
  6. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Man... I think Roth is the key this year. I keep saying this but I really see him as the sleeper on our D this year! His play has impressed Sparano (and me), the coach saying that he is one of the most physically strong players on the team! As long as his pass coverage skills come along he could REALLY be a big addition! Especially with Langford's progression.

Roth ARTICLE

CrunchTime likes this.
  7. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    as i was writing that I knew I was forgetting someone... it just woudlnt come to me, and i was too lazy to look up the roster! Thanks!!! :up: