Joey Porter could be playing his last game as a Miami Dolphin

15 replies

dolfan7171dolfan7171New MemberOP
Jan 1, 2010, 11:37 AM

This offseason the Dolphins' front office must decide whether to retain the 32-year-old pass rusher, who has contributed a career-low 39 tackles but produced a team-high eight sacks this season while playing on a troublesome right knee.

Whether to extend Porter's stay is one of the tougher decisions this Dolphins regime will have to make in 2010.

Porter signed a five-year deal with the Dolphins in 2007 after the Steelers dumped him that offseason to get younger at his position. He's slated to make a base salary of $3.6 million in 2010, but he's due a $1 million roster bonus and a $200,000 workout bonus this summer.

When this regime was faced with paying an aging team leader a hefty roster bonus last offseason they decided to part ways, cutting defensive end Vonnie Holliday, then a team captain, instead of paying him the $1.5 million he was due.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-dolphins-1-online-update-1231-20091231,0,4936647.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sun-sentinel%2Fsports%2Ffootball%2Fpro%2Fdolphins+%28Miami+Dolphins+%2F+South+Florida+Sun-Sentinel%29

Win, Lose, or Tie, I will be a Dolphins Fan Until I Die:up:

Fin-OmenalFin-OmenalNew Member
Jan 1, 2010, 11:41 AM

Youth movement is on its way at LB, how long has it been since we had a good young LB on this team? 98?

GRGRT8Luxury Box
Jan 1, 2010, 11:48 AM

It would be hard to let him go, due to the lack of veteran leadership and lack of depth at the LB position. There would have to be major transactions at the LB position for that to happen.

SICKSICKForum Veteran
Jan 1, 2010, 11:50 AM

good to see you GRT8 :up:

miamironmiamironForum Veteran
Jan 1, 2010, 01:40 PM

Porter's play the last 4 games vs Wake

Porter has 12 tackles..1 sack..1 QB hit....1 QB pressure on 205 defensive snaps

Wake has 5 tackles..1 sack....2 QB hits..4 QB pressures on 45 defensive snaps

The excuses have to stop regarding the non/little use of Wake

Porter has become 0 dimensional

Porter has 8 sacks this season but 4.5 came in 2 games which coincidentally
came the games after he was benched vs Tampa

since then he has done squat

this season
Porter...... 8 sacks....5 QB hits...11 QB pressures on ((690 plays))(Wake had 9 pressures in ONE GAME)
Taylor...... 8 sacks....4 QB hits...19 QB pressures on ((777 plays))
Wake...... 5.5 sacks..6 QB hits...19 QB pressures on ((154 plays))

Matthews...10 sacks...9 QB hits...24 QB pressures
Ware has...12 sacks...16 QB hits..54 QB pressures...incredible what ONE person can do
Spencer.....5 sacks....26 QB hits...21 QB pressures
Woodley....10 sacks...11 QB hits...27 QB pressures
Hali..........8 sacks.....11 QB hits...30 QB pressures
Dumervil...17 sacks...7 QB hits.....29 QB pressures
Harrison....10 sacks...12 QB hits...31 QB pressures

Just an example of where our OLBs stand compared to a few of the best

NoCalFinFanNoCalFinFanNew Member
Jan 1, 2010, 02:35 PM

Never thought much of Porter's run stopping ability. Now he can't get to the QB. 12 tackles is putrid for a starting OLB. I'll be glad to see him gone.

The G ManThe G ManForum Veteran
Jan 1, 2010, 02:42 PM

All I can say is don't let the door hit ya where The Good Lord split ya!

http://larrycsonka.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/071511-NFL-Larry-Csonka-PI_2011071516291173_660_320.jpg

JajJajNew Member
Jan 1, 2010, 04:14 PM

It would probably be a rather insignificant loss at this point. He has not been productive.

Bring this man back into the fold if you want some real leadership on this team.

DolfanColeDolfanColeNew Member
Jan 1, 2010, 04:17 PM

OLB is where we have our depth. And Joey has really had a down year. I know he's been injured most of the year but unfortunately that's been all too common for him. Not a big loss IMO if he's not back. In fact in may be better as it will allow younger (more productive) players play.
Posted via Mobile Device

JajJajNew Member
Jan 1, 2010, 04:30 PM

We'd be probably even if not better if we rotated Charlie Anderson in his place anyway. Porter wasn't even that productive outside of his sack numbers last year. OK in coverage, low in number of pressures, and terrible in run stopping. This year he's now below average not horrible in run stopping. I can't stand a weak front seven. Our DL especially our DEs often play lights out, but our LBs suck up. I'd even be fine with spending our draft picks and our free agency money on LBs, with maybe one WR acquisition and that's it.

Bring this man back into the fold if you want some real leadership on this team.

Dolfan984Dolfan984Forum Veteran
Jan 1, 2010, 05:21 PM

When I went to the Titans game I made sure to focus on Porter a little bit.

IMO he brought absolutely nothing to the table. He might've had a sack (can't remember) but it seems like he's a more like a professional bullfighter not a linebacker,

Ricky Williams - "I will always be a Dolphin."

smahtazsmahtazForum Veteran
Jan 1, 2010, 08:11 PM

Don't kid yourself. Porter played hurt this season because he is the best option.



It's what you learn after you know it all that counts. ~ John Wooden

Roman529Roman529New Member
Jan 2, 2010, 12:21 AM

So long Joey....I wish I could say I am going to miss you, but I can't.

Skeet84Skeet84New Member
Jan 2, 2010, 03:44 AM

I will miss Joey's swagger and attitude. However I think its time to go. There is only room for one aging veteran. I will make the prediction now that we resign Jason Taylor

PHPHINANALYSTForum Veteran
Jan 2, 2010, 07:12 PM

hurt or not, let's move on, and get younger and better.

appreciate that we would not have won the AFC last year without him ... but we can win the SB without him next year (so long as we make the investment in LBs, LBs, LBs).

his $$$$ can be better spent on other players.

Jan 2, 2010, 07:23 PM

it was nice knowing you Porter. we need to get younger, plus we're better off with wake. i realize wake isn't real young but he doesn't have years worth of NFL wear and tear on his body.