1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joey Haynos "I'm ready"

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Sep 7, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2009/09/07/tight-end-joey-haynos-im-ready-for-it/

My take is this, P Turner is more than likely to be inactive on most gamedays, but we still need that tall, RedZone, Receiver, Haynos is to be that guy but Dmart was in the way as well as being injured.

So we released DMart (to the IR while we make offers for him to leave).

Add in Haynos got snaps at the F position but that is more than likely Fasano's job, with all 6'8 270+ of Haynos playing extra Tackle on running plays.

That size and power combination is hard to find, you can find Te's who are Tall and were fmr Basketball players, but they typically do not offer 270+ and blocking skills.

I'll miss Dmart and his long play ability.

DOLPHAN1, Larry Little and NaboCane like this.
  2. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

I wonder, with hindsight being what it is, if they would have kept Wilford for his pass catching "ability" since Martin got injured.

If Haynos can block decently, he should help us with the Wildcat formation. I also feel that we won't be relying on tight ends as much this year for pass catching since our wide receivers seem to be so well rounded. With Bess and Camarillo seemingly able to get open at will, and Ginn and Hartline hopefully able to get down the field a little bit, we may have seen less reliance on Fasano/Martin as it was. Especially if you factor in Ronnie and the rest of the backs hands out of the backfield.

padre31 likes this.
  3. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Seems to me they wanted to clear the decks, Wilford played alright, and I bet we showcased him trying to trade him but had no takers.

A bit of a different take Borderland W, but when we open up in atlanta our Receving corps will feature a UDFA in D Bess and a Practice Squad poach in Joey Haynos.

That is impressive to me, they cost us the barest minimums in acquisition expenses, all that Ireland film study paid off.

As for Joey H, 6'8 man...the Falcons Db's are tiny, down in the redzone he will create mismatches, now whether or not he can catch the ball remains to be seen.

4. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Haynos had one more TD than Wilford last year!:shifty:

1 to 0

DOLPHAN1 and Samphin like this.
  5. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Well played... :)

6. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    He's supposed to have great hands. Not just 'good', but 'great'.

At 6' 7 1/2", he obviously has great height. However, he's not exactly the quickest cat in the alley (understandably). When he was with the Terps, he looked very slow getting off the line. He ran in the 4.8 range in the 40 at Maryland's pro day.

I've never had a good look at his routes, but he catches the ball very well, and he definitely will be a big target in the Red Zone. He'll also be a much better asset as a blocker, as you and others have pointed out.

I'm no draft guru, or anything, so... whatever it's worth! :lol:

MrClean, The Aqua Crush and padre31 like this.
  7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well look at this way LL, Haynos may have run a 4.8, but inside the 20 that is actually a 2.4.

Phins28, jetssuck, Samphin and 3 others like this.
  8. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    From what I saw of him in Pre-season, his blocking was superb. I watched him blocked, and his guy was never a threat to get to the QB.

Larry Little likes this.
  9. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I think Haynos is a good kid. Good blocker. I don't think he's going to set the world on fire, or anything, but I don't feel terrible about losing Martin at this point. Who knows... maybe he'll be more productive catching the ball than I think.

10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I hear ya, last season at this time everyone was all excited, we had just gotten Penny and there was chest thumping and the whole bit and we went out and lost to the Jets...and then Cardinals blew us out...

Talk about deflated.

Point being, until these youngsters get out on the field, no one should get too excited just yet, Haynos has some on paper talent...we just have to play the games and find out.

11. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    He'd damn well better exponentially increase his on-field awareness...and he'd better learn to block to a level commensurate with his physical presence.

12. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

He better be ready, that's all I got to say.