1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joe Rose: Ginn's got to make that catch; I'm sold on Henne

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by NaboCane, Nov 9, 2009.

1. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/dolphins/joerose/2009/11/ginns_got_to_make_that_catch_i.html

Good little blurb; goes on to say that he's sold on Henne as a starter; also this:

:lol:

2. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    we are a team with 2s and 3s @ WR.

3. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Exactly. Look at the catch Justin Gage made for the Titans this weekend. That pass was way higher than the one Ginn was faced with. Gage goes up for it, puts his body on the line to make a play, and guess what... he makes the play. Thats the big problem with Ginn as a WR. No desire to sacrifice his body to make a play. Too... "scared" for lack of a better word. It's a shame really... with the desire to do so, he could be one hell of a receiver in this league with that speed.

4. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    He didn't even have to sacrifice his body. He wouldn't for sure have gotten hit or at least taken a big one. He did need to jump for it to make it easier, it looked like he simply misjudged it. Henne put it in a catchable spot (though not ideal), but Ginn went after it all wrong. I don't think it had anything to do with him being scared, I think it had to do with reading it wrong (which wouldn't be the first time in the past 3 weeks).

Ultra and HULKFish like this.
  5. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami

I completely disagree.

Playing scared is Ginns biggest problem.
    There is plenty of evidence of this now if you review games he's played in.
    He does in fact play scared that is clear evident and that play was just another glaring example of that proof.

Ginn pulled his eyes off and started to crouch expecting a hit. He pulled his arms off early, the term is gator armed the play. He is not mentally tough whatsoever and unfortunately that is not something that can be changed through coaching. You can't coach balls into a player.

Ginn's only benefit to us is as a flyer and as a KR period.

6. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    agree. there was no hesitation (which is the indication of fear) in him jumping for the ball but he screwed up the jump. There is no fear, just bad coordination or timing :lol:

7. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    if that is your proof then you are clearly lacking in evidence. thats just you reading into his play your biases. Who knows you could be right but you have zero proof. he didnt alligator that pass. he just screwed up his hand position like the Colts game. there's a difference. he didnt flinch or crouh either. i dont know what your seeing but it wasnt there

8. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    The NFL actually requires each player to wear a wristband that denotes their "Fear Factor" so we can tell if a player is scared. Shows what you know... :tongue2:

adamprez2003 likes this.
  9. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    :lol:

10. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    that's for the tougher players......Ginn was given an ankle bracelet :shifty:

11. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    :headscratch:

12. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Bingo.

Even WITH the alligator-arms the ball still hit him in the hands. BOTH hands.

It was only because he was already cringing and folding up his arms that he muffs the pass.

I challenge anyone to produce the gif and disprove that; you won't, because you can't. Producing the gif would only prove what I'm saying is true.

Miguel and jetssuck like this.
  13. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    :sidelol:

jetssuck likes this.
  14. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    clearly your smiley reflects your biases :tongue2:

jetssuck likes this.
  15. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    you produce it i dare ya, i double dare ya, i triple dare ya :tongue2: how do you alligator arm a pass that hits both your hands. its impossible to do unless the definition changed

16. UM_all_day

UM_all_day New Member

Aug 28, 2008
    I was hopin Ginn went up and got it but I didn't want him to go up and end up like that kid Best......

17. EdSta74

EdSta74 I

Mar 22, 2008
    Long Island City, NY
    If the ball hits you in the hands. you have to make the catch..... call it fear, technique, bad timimg.. whatever. but the ball clearly hit Ginn in the hands. make the catch.

The Aqua Crush likes this.
  18. Miguel

Miguel The smartest Man on earth

Nahe he ginned it

Themole likes this.
  19. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    i thought it was ironic the last throw of the game where Cammarillo did his best Gadson impression with the one handed snag doing the Air Jordan stretch.

We make that catch as a wide reciever group but all the easier catches are dropped when the game actually still mattered. Only down one score with 3 n change to go.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  20. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    but what he wanted was friendship bracelet and a promise ring. the barbie that he is.

NaboCane likes this.
  21. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami

I'm not lacking in evidence at all.

THe proof is there.
    Watch it more closely.

If you think Ginn was all out effort on that catch "attempt" then IMO you need to watch some film of clutch, tough and reliable WR's that have made their names going up over the middle with no fear and coming down with catches.

This toughness issue is not new and it's not a one time assessment from this one play. He's got a very large body of work to pull from at this point which contains many examples of his hesitations in traffic and his avoidance of hits.

Too many people have noticed this trait at this point for it to be a phantom claim.

To the attempted claim that my opinion comes from some anti Ginn bias, it dosen't fit me. If you or anyone were to go back to past posts of mine on Ginn since we've drafted him anyone would be able to verify that. I'm not one of the original Ginn "haters". I'm usually always a wait and see guy with young prospects.

I follow the mantra of player development to a tee and my posts on Ginn have reflected that up till this year. My opinion of Ginn has been a slow and tactful process. At this point, IMO, it's become clear that Ginn clearly doesn't have it.

22. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I am not sold on Henne. He still has a lot of room for improvement. So far he has proven he is unable to beat the blitz.

23. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    My opinion of Ginn? He's a Kick Returner trapped in a Wide Receiver's body.

There's two main reasons why I think this

1) I've seen a number of catches where he's more concerned with avoiding contact, than making the catch. A Kick Returner's highest priority is to avoid contact. A Wide Receiver's highest priority is to catch the f'ing ball, and THEN figure out how to avoid contact. I feel like watching him that his priority isn't as much focused on catching the ball as it is trying to avoid contact (be it to make a big play with YAC, or just afraid of getting hit, who knows)

2) The Lobster claws. He's getting a lot of balls painted on the numbers, and going for them (as some other people pointed out) trying to catch it with his arms against his chest/abs. That's obviously the way you handle kick returns (let the egg drop into the basket). His miracle catch against the Jets was this same formula. He caught that ball very much like it was a kick return, and it just fell between his cupped arms, and his chest.

The point I'm trying to make is that Ginn plays his WR position like he's a kick returner. If it comes to getting him the ball and letting him actually catch it with his hands, there's some important piece of the puzzle missing. I'm no expert, so this might just totally be me talking out of my ***, but from the little I've seen and heard people comment on, this is what I've come up with.

24. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Last year he didn't. He had very good hands.

How is the catch against the Jets a miracle?

25. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville

This absolutely never happened...

Nothing has changed.......he's never been able to catch a ball any better than he does right now. He catches balls that fall into his arms or weak *** passes with arc on them like Penny used to throw.

The guy NEVER had good/great hands........gifs or it didn't happen

26. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Now you are making things up.

He didn't have a dropping problem until this year.

27. finserg

finserg Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ
    NaboCane likes this.
  28. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    He never had terrible hands, but to say he had "great hands" is an incredible stretch.
    Truth is, the kid that DID have incredible hands was Bess. Without them, he never wouldve made our squad last year.
    Unfortunately, that isn't the case this year with Bess.

Stitches and NaboCane like this.
  29. whiskeyCoke72

whiskeyCoke72 Active Member

Sep 22, 2009
    anybody have gif or youtube of that last drop?

30. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Ginn had 56 catches last year vs 5 drops. That's good hands.

31. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Hooray, I can agree 100% with everything Kenny put here. :lol:

azfinfanmang likes this.
  32. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    With a QB that can throw a pass that's almost......... almost as soft as he is.

Which is like baby's *** soft.......

Xeticus and NaboCane like this.
  33. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    Ginn is soft, soft, soft ....

soft heart to take care of

soft hands that can only catch

soft balls .....

NaboCane likes this.
  34. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Indeed. The past few weeks I'd say we are a team with 3's and 4's (but they aren't fast, except for TG but he's playing like a 5 when he's at the WR position).

35. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    a personal salute & thank you to our forum veterans on this special day

36. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    He just screwed up his hand position? What what? Is that the same as saying that he can't catch well with his hands? Because no one who can catch well would ever attempt catch a ball like that. That technique is like someone trying to catch a fly with chopsticks. Who taught him how to catch, Mr. Miyagi? I'm in a strange way fascinated by how Ginn sometimes attempts to catch the ball because it's bad technique for high school and questionable for Pop Warner, much less the NFL. It's the damndest thing I've seen in terms of a pro WR trying to catch with his hands. As to Ginn and the fear factor and alligator arms- it seems pretty obvious that Ginn is scared out there.

Barring a trade and due to the potential cap hit it looks like he'll be here for two more years- yeah I know about the collective bargaing issue, we'll see what happens there. So we can probably expect to have an overpaid kickoff returner and #3 WR for 2 years. Life goes on, not the end of the world. Speaking of which, here's a good book and blog from the author:

http://www.blogcatalog.com/blog/cactus-land

NaboCane likes this.
  37. Xeticus

Xeticus Junior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    I agree that Ginn is more of a returner than a receiver. His hands have been so woefully inconsistent that I would use him only as a kick returner and as a utility player, for counters and, reverses and such. More like a scatback running back. He's very, very, fast. However he avoids contact, lacks toughness and drops more than his fair share of balls. Let's use him to his best strengths and draft a real WR next draft.

38. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    :sidelol: That is seriously funny.