1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jobs modern FB's have to fill, and why Rolly Lumbala was signed

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Jul 6, 2010.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    http://www.freep.com/article/201007...rtz-Lions-fullbacks-are-in-transitional-phase

HC Schwartz is correct, the Sam Gash's and Lorenzo Neals of the NFL are a rare breed today, of course Sparano being an old school HC, we have the excellent Lou Polite at FB in that role.

Which brings up Rolly Lumbala, who washed out of Dolphins Rookie Mini Camp in 2008 and headed to the CFL's BC Lions for two seasons. Rolly had a small handful of carries and catches..but where he also filled the roles Schwartz outlined, lead blocker, ST Daemon, short yardage runner.

But with Polite on the roster, where would Lumbala fit?

Well, we have two solid Te's in Fasano and Haynos, and two project Te's in Sperry and Nalbone, neither of whom play ST or block at a high level, for that matter Nalbone looks like a 5th rd bust as he never has caught the ball consistently even during OTA's.

That leaves Lumbala and opening at FB/HBack/Special Teamer as he led the BC Lions in ST tackles with 23, and in the CFL there is a five yd cushion that must be given to the Returner making tackling much more difficult, when it was mentioned during OTA's this spring that "Lumbala was being tried at Te, never a good sign" that imho was a misread of the situation, he was being tried at Te to see what he potential is as a Mike Sellers type of HBack/ FB.

2. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Wow, the Lions have three fullbacks. If Lumbala is that good at special teams I hope he makes the roster.

3. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    He is a longshot, and fullback's take time to develop into NFL starters, Big Lou for example went through 2 teams and was walking the streets in 2008 when he was signed.

Interesting thing about Rolly, the Steelers tried to sign him and they are trying to fix a woeful ST unit this offseason:

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Lions+lose+Lumbala+Dolphins/2412588/story.html

The other point of interest is how quickly he was signed by an NFL club, as in any Free Agency the "best" players are signed first, which would be CFL DPOY John Chick who signed in Indy, then Larry Taylor by the Jets (monster kick returner in CFL) then we signed the 3 CFLers all at once, Tsoumpas, RGM, and Lumbala..on January 9th.

Basically the best CFL to NFL prospects were signed either after our season ended, or in the case of Indy, while their march to the SB was happening.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  4. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Dispite the dismall season last year, I still think Fasano can be a huge contributor at TE.
    I think Sperry is good as a situational player, and then I think there's a big drop-off.
    If Lambala can equal what Sperry brings, I think his ST contributions and versatility could have him making the squad.
    The final roster this year is going to be interesting.

5. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Doesn't Grice-Mullin belong on this list as well Padre?
    EDIT: Nevermind.
    DOH!!!!

padre31 likes this.
  6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I have Fasano and Haynos as the two Te's, the #3 Te, roster spot #50-#53, is where I could see Lumbala maybe making the team but he would have to be a 4 core ST guy along with showing better blocking ability on returns than a Lb.

Basically he'd have to block as well as Polite, run better routes, catch the ball better, play ST as well as Hilliard and block better on ST than Walden.

It sounds alot more difficult than it really is with his experience on ST.

7. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    He would have to be #42-44 to make the team. #46-52 are key back ups and developmental players.

#45 is the long snapper.

8. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

If he can make the team as ST player, he would be good backup for Polite in case he goes down.

9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, consider this, what if Pat Cobbs's rehab isn't on schedule?

With Sheets not having multi talents, Lumbala could fill some, not all, of the roles that Cobbs does?

If Cobbs does comeback at 100% that would be a nail in Lumbala's coffin as right now he is more insurance against Cobbs not being healthy and maybe Hilliard not developing more?

10. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I don't see Lumbala as insurance vs Cobbs as much as someone like Haynos. Does Haynos play special teams?
    Either way, I'd like to see Cobbs, Sheets and Lumbala on the roster. Have to either keep Hillard or find an upgrade from another team mainly because Ronnie, Ricky and Cobbs could all go down with injuries again.

11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Imho Haynos isn't going anywhere, 6'7 280+ Te's do not grow on trees, it is yr 3 for him though so if he is a Tice/Metzelaars he needs to show it.

Lumbala is in a interesting place OF, if he is cut, I'd suspect he would get some looks as Reagan Mauia is still in the NFL and Lumbala is a far better FB/ST player than Reagan Muaia, if he washes out the CFL would take him back on a 2 yr contract, which means he wouldn't be out of work for long ala Polite after he was released by the Bears, Big Lou walked the street for 4 games in 08.

12. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I do not know Sheets' ability to play special teams. If he has a willingness he could be a flyer and back up to full time return man. He would also bring a dynamic player to the offense.

Cobbs is the known. He is a decent athlete and a hell of a player. He is the type of player you want on your team. He is also the type of player who is very expendable. Especially after an injury. I think Cobbs position more hinges on Lex Hilliard. If the FO thinks Hilliard can be a replacement for Cobbs and Sheets does show something, then I do think Hilliard and Sheets would be a nice keep.

Lumbala has nice size and actually pretty good speed. According to his scout page he runs a 4.45 40, which is excellent for his size. He was good at special teams in BC so he is willing. According to this video [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E8yKzGX-LE&feature=related"]YouTube- Rolly Lumbala[/ame] he has been working hard on his agility. He could be a good back up for fullback and tight end. If he has good hands that would make him a decent asset.

As it stands now, Cobbs is a good blocker in the wildcat, awesome special teamer, decent runner, good at catching out of the backfield. Hilliard is wasn't a good blocker last year, great special teamer, decent runner, surprisingly good catching out of the backfield. Sheets is the most dynamic runner and a possibility at returner. Lumbala is potentially a good blocker, in canada and a good special teamer.

Cobbs has the inside track with being proven and a coaches favorite. Sheets has stayed on the team since his signing, so they must see something in him and is a big play potential player. Hilliard did decent as a replacement for Cobbs and is probably the biggest competition for Lumbala.

13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, as for Cobbs, a Sparano praise agenda is not always a good thing, recall Murphy last yr was on Sparano's lips and he did not last the season?

Sheets imho is the real wildcard in all of this, if he shows ability to cover kicks and return them, he would be a great keep, if not, then RGM can take his place, if Cobbs doesn't comeback 100% then Hiliard and Lumbala are breathing down his neck as Lexxy had a fair number of ST tackles, but Rolly is chasing after Lexxy and Cobbs.

Typical Sparano with competition at every level.

14. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    IMO the Sparano praise agenda does mean that Cobbs position will have to be taken away from him. Meaning someone will have to show more ability than Cobbs to take his spot. So if that happens, then Miami is better off.

Sheets is a wildcard. If he shows some ability to block, he could be Miami's Kevin Faulk.

15. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Having two fullbacks on the roster isn't all that extraordinary, even on an especially pass-heavy offense. Look at San Diego or New Orleans.

16. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Especially if the third Te is not a efficient blocker or play ST or what have you.

17. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    I love Lou Polite, and I hope he's not going anywhere. But this regime has showed that they will move on if they find a better option. However they've also shown they're willing to keep a player who's main role is special teams. Should be an intersting storyline throughout camp.

18. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    look for Lyndon Murtha to be developed as an H-Back @ 6'7" & 315 lbs
    the guy possesses both good speed & can catch the football out of the backfield
    need added pass protection? want to open the run straight up the middle?