1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Job losses stack up as recession deepens

Discussion in 'Economics and Financials' started by Fin Fan In Cali, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090109/ap_on_bi_go_ec_fi/financial_meltdown

With employers throttling back hiring, the unemployment rate is expected to jump from 6.7 percent in November to 7 percent in December, according to economists' forecasts. If they are right, that would mark the highest jobless rate in 15-1/2 years.

Nervous employers probably axed another 550,000 jobs last month, economists forecast. That would bring the net number of jobs lost for all of 2008 to 2.46 million. Some however, think the number of jobs cut last month will be higher — 600,000 or 700,000.

I have a friend that is on the latest layoff list for his city job, and my mother in law's business is so slow right now, that she may have to think about selling her business. :no: Things are bad across the nation I know, but things here in California have gotten so grim, that I have tried to take a break of posting the negative as I am seeing more of it first hand through friends and family.

2. njfinfan

njfinfan The First Lady

Nov 23, 2007
    Newark, NJ
    I also heard this morning, John, on the news that the unemployment rate today is the highest it's ever been since World War II. Scary times we're in now.

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  3. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Mary here the numbers that came out officially this morning.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090109/ap_on_bi_ge/financial_meltdown
    Jobless rate jumps to 7.2 percent in December

WASHINGTON – The nation's unemployment rate bolted to 7.2 percent in December, the highest level in 16 years, as nervous employers slashed 524,000 jobs, capping one of the worst years in modern history for American workers.
    The Labor Department's report, released Friday, underscored the grim toll the deepening recession is having on workers and companies. And it highlights the difficulty President-elect Barack Obama faces in resuscitating the flat-lined economy. This year has gotten off to a rough start with a flurry of big corporate layoffs, pointing to another year of hefty job reductions.

njfinfan likes this.
  4. njfinfan

njfinfan The First Lady

Nov 23, 2007
    Newark, NJ
    Unbelievable. OT: How about you John? How are things looking on the work front for you?

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  5. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Same ole Mary. If there is a job that is what I am looking for I have at least 2-5 hundred others applying, if I apply for something that is under my experience I am over qualified. I keep looking, but a lot of the jobs out here have dried up. We shall see how it goes.:wink2: Depending on what happens with my mother in law, we may have to move in with them to help them out.:yes:

njfinfan likes this.