1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jim Tressel resigns as HC at Ohio State

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by Conuficus, May 30, 2011.

1. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    As per ESPN, don't have a link yet. Just saw the piece on TV and on the ticker. The Big Ten is wide open this year.

2. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Wow. I'm actually pretty surprised by this news. I expected him to serve his suspension like his players. I didn't really expect that he would resign over this whole thing. Wonder if there is more that is going to come to light in the next few weeks and months.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    They put a hit out on the Sweater Vest....

finyank13 likes this.
  4. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Well, my fiance and I were both saying that he should be fired but that it likely wouldn't happen. I'm very surprised he resigned, but it was the "right" thing to do.

5. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    Surrender of the 2002 National Championsip is next.
    As it should be.:shifty:

6. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    All the stuff that is coming out right now or will come out. It is a good thing this lying loser resigned.
    The guy is a total puke. I hope the NCAA throws the book at this cheating program.
    Rules are rules and he let his players get away with whatever they want.
    Everyone thought Tressel was such a winner, turns out he is a loser.

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Awesome!

8. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Not surprising in the least. It had to be done. Ohio State would be ripped a new ******* if they kept a dirtbag cheater like him.

9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Tressel should head to the CFL so he can live his dream of punting on 3rd down.

10. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    [​IMG]

It's just getting good.

11. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    Wonder if Pryor might consider the Supplemental Draft now. He has to be kicking himself somewhat for not heading out early.

12. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    I personally cannot ****ing wait to see what Sports Illustrated publishes today/tomorrow.

DolfanJake likes this.
  13. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    "Why the Ohio State University Should Drop Football"

DolfanJake likes this.
  14. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    I have a friend who works for a local news center and Ive heard some of the stuff that is about to come out and its not good. Tress HAD to gt out of dodge at this point.

But I must LOL at the people who think this is an "Ohio State" issue, its an ongoing problem in division 1 sports. I have been saying for years now that I believed the majority of top programs break the rules Ohio State included. So hearing the things that happened doesnt suprise me all that much, what does suprise me is how good of a job sports illustrated did uncovering the scandals that go on here. I just hope they dont stop at Ohio State.

15. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Told ya the sweater vest was in trouble, NEVER trust a man who wears a sweater vest!

Kidding aside, I do have some empathy for Coach Tres, nature of minor league football you have to compete for the best athletes then you have to keep them in town.

16. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

I dont really feel bad for Tress personally, your exactly right he is "competing" with other programs for top players. I worked with an ex WR who had some very interesting storys of his recruiting trips to OSU, Michigan State and Georgia. Its apart of the game truthfully. He put on a very phony image of himself though, no true man of honor can be a consistent 10year winner in major collegiate athletics if you ask me. The fact he painted a picture of himself to be so honorable was ridiculous.

The biggest way this can hurt OSU is with any postseason suspensions or scholarships reduced. Jim Tressel didnt make Ohio State a top program he just beat Michigan.

17. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    I highly suggest reading some of the stuff posted on Pryor's twitter account. Good stuff.

The comments, however, make it sound like Tressell did nothing wrong.

18. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    You make it sound like this is exclusive to Ohio State?

Every single team in the BCS is cheating for one objective, and that objective is green rectangles with dead presidents on it.

That being said, Tressel deserves LOTS of bad things. Unlike most of the "Cheaters", he tried to pass off a Mr Rodgers Persona proving he was doing nothing wrong....

All that being said, would welcome him at my lowly Alma Matter in seconds!!!!...as long as he gets rid of the stupid sweater and glasses that is.

19. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    So football players are riding around on campus in expensive vehicles for years now and it has nothing to do with Ohio State? They knew as well as Tressel that this stuff was going on. If you don't believe that I think you are in denial. Sure it does happen everywhere at some level but OSU and their cheating, lying coach crossed the line and got popped.
    Treat it as you will but my guess is in the end the university will be held responsible for the antics that went on under Tressel's tenure.

BlameItOnTheHenne likes this.
  20. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    LOL

[​IMG]

21. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Because it is an Ohio State issue. There's dirty programs out there sure, none of them aside from Auburn come close to Ohio State. I mean, it's not like Jim Tressel was a cheater at Youngstown State before he got to Ohio State... Oh wait, he was. Tressel is a scum bag, and OSU not only deserves heavy sanctions much worse than what USC got, but they deserve to lose their National Championship too as Maurice Clarett was obviously an ineligible player.

DolfanJake likes this.
  22. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    In the end OSU will get a 2-4 year bow ban/Big 10 title game ban. Forfeit the Rose Bowl (and other titles) and lose scholarships at a total number higher than what USC got.

Tress will be lucky to escape without a 1-2 year ban from coaching which the NCAA does have the authority to do.

Basically OSU is ****ed and none of the big name coaches OSU fans are touting around are going to come into a program that is handcuffed from 2-4 years. They wouldnt dare soil their records, hell Meyer already said no.

23. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    How far back you think? All the way to his first year at OSU?

24. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Your interpitation skills leave much to be desired

25. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    So does your spelling. :tongue2:

finyank13 likes this.
  26. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    let it be said, let it be written......

27. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    SI doesn't have the guts to do that, and lose thousands subscribers. Only Miami can have that done to them, since we are a small private school, with a not very influential alumni base.

28. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    [​IMG]

Stitches and BlameItOnTheHenne like this.
  29. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    GASP !?!?!? Really ?!?!?! Certainly not at Notre Dame, especially when Lou Holtz was there. Just because he cheated at Arkansas, Minnesota & South Carolina, NO WAY he cheated at Notre Dame.....

Shame on us to ever think that could happen......

(Sarcasm mode off)

Of course it is happening now, has been happening in the past and will in the future. With the system in place it will always happen. Paying the players also will not make this cease, because some players will always then be looking for more than others. College sports will forever be as corrupt as old Rome, and that will never change.

30. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

alen1 and Conuficus like this.
  31. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

It is an Ohio State issue though!! Do other teams cheat? Sure but we see programs getting caught all the time. I'm hoping the NCAA lays some wood on the Buckeyes asses personally. Huge programs should be made examples of..

32. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    His whole career is tainted.

33. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    What I don't think people realize is that there's not as many teams cheating as people would like to think. Recruits get paid at many schools, but it's often from agents/boosters, and behind the coaches back. I wouldn't exactly call that cheating. OSU on the other hand... Blatant cheating and it's been going on in Columbus since Woody Hayes was the coach. They deserve the death penalty, obviously, that's not going to happen but good chance it happens eventually because cheating is second nature at Ohio State.

Ozzy likes this.
  34. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Somehow I doubt East Carolina for example is cheating on the same level as some of the big time programs, if at all. I'd lump the San Jose State's etc in there as well.

I can tell you there is so much **** going on that you have no idea. At least there was back in my day. I know guys who broke into houses got caught with the stuff in their hands and were playing ball that weekend. Nothing was ever said. That guy got drafted, played over 10 seasons and was always lauded as 'a good guy in the community'.

unluckyluciano and Ozzy like this.
  35. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    There might not be another human in America more excited than my brother-in-law.....Michigan grad, lives in RI, 38, still has season tickets for one game every other year....Michigan is going to eventually pound them again, once the new guy gets his people in there...

36. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    [​IMG]

unluckyluciano and Clipse like this.
  37. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    [​IMG]
    :lol::lol::lol: