Jets release Coles....

23 replies

CANEPHINSCANEPHINSForum VeteranOP
Aug 29, 2010, 05:07 PM

Would he be a possible option for us to get a vet backup in that has decent hands? I am nervous that we are screwed at WR if we have one of our top 3 go down. I know it is wierd saying bring him in...but maybe there is just enough in the tank for 1 yr as a #4 or 5.

DesidesDesidesForum Veteran
Aug 29, 2010, 05:09 PM

No.

Why do people want to grab everyone else's scraps?

@desides01

"Not you." — Tywin Lannister

GMJohnsonGMJohnsonNew Member
Aug 29, 2010, 05:11 PM

Not unless he still has his Jets' playbook...

ToddsPhinsToddsPhinsNew Member
Aug 29, 2010, 05:19 PM

"GMJohnson wrote:

Not unless he still has his Jets' playbook...

Can we have our own version of The Book of Eli?..... and then cut him a week later. :shifty:

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Aug 29, 2010, 05:36 PM

LOL...funniest thing ever...check it out, I was watching Hard knocks the other night when they were preparing the presentation to the ugliest jet....Lavern coles was sitting there like a scared puppy.....he had that " I just know its gonna be me face".....it was hilarious...

anyways, I dont want that stinkin Jet on my team, dont trust him.

HOhooserdaddyForum Veteran
Aug 29, 2010, 05:38 PM

"Desides wrote:

No.

Why do people want to grab everyone else's scraps?

Yeah I know what you mean. First it's let's get Vincent Jackson and have 2 50 million receivers on our team (not going to happen) than it's let's pick up Antonio Bryant and finally let's get Coles. The only thing I've heard that makes any sense in my opinion is them possibly getting Hurd or Ogletree from Dallas if they are cut. Here's a thought, Let's let the young guys play like Moore, Turner or Wallace than wanting to pick up every veteran that gets cut. By the way the last 2 out of our 3 rookie WR's (Bess, Hartline) have worked out pretty good so far.

CANEPHINSCANEPHINSForum Veteran
Aug 29, 2010, 05:44 PM

3 out of 5 with 2 yrs or less in experience is scary. I wouldn't mind another vet to round it out.

ToddsPhinsToddsPhinsNew Member
Aug 29, 2010, 05:44 PM

"hooserdaddy wrote:

Yeah I know what you mean. First it's let's get Vincent Jackson and have 2 50 million receivers on our team (not going to happen) than it's let's pick up Antonio Bryant and finally let's get Coles. The only thing I've heard that makes any sense in my opinion is them possibly getting Hurd or Ogletree from Dallas if they are cut. Here's a thought, Let's let the young guys play like Moore, Turner or Wallace than wanting to pick up every veteran that gets cut. By the way the last 2 out of our 3 rookie WR's (Bess, Hartline) have worked out pretty good so far.

Yes, they have worked out "pretty good"; however, IMO Bryant (when isolated 1 on 1 thanks to Brandon) could dominate games and be the guy we need to take advantage of these match ups.

DesidesDesidesForum Veteran
Aug 29, 2010, 05:46 PM

"GMJohnson wrote:

Not unless he still has his Jets' playbook...

1st series:
1st down, run
2nd down, short pass
3rd down, draw

2nd series:
1st down, run
2nd down, run
3rd down, throw interception

Repeat.

@desides01

"Not you." — Tywin Lannister

GMJohnsonGMJohnsonNew Member
Aug 29, 2010, 05:58 PM

Devin Thomas is buried on the depth chart in Washington, I think he'd be a good addition for a mid-late round pick.

TheMageGandalfTheMageGandalfNew Member
Aug 29, 2010, 06:07 PM

"Desides wrote:

1st series:
1st down, run
2nd down, short pass
3rd down, draw

2nd series:
1st down, run
2nd down, run
3rd down, throw interception

Repeat.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::knucks:

.

jdang307jdang307Supporter
Aug 29, 2010, 06:30 PM

"Desides wrote:

No.

Why do people want to grab everyone else's scraps?

Yeah. Like Chad Pennington. :up:

DesidesDesidesForum Veteran
Aug 29, 2010, 06:32 PM

"jdang307 wrote:

Yeah. Like Chad Pennington. :up:

Pennington still had juice left. Coles is talking about retirement.

@desides01

"Not you." — Tywin Lannister

DisgustipateDisgustipateSupporter
Aug 29, 2010, 06:36 PM

I think it's a possibility. If they traded Greg Camarillo more out of need than luxury, Coles is a pretty good replacement.

FIFinsAreLifeNew Member
Aug 29, 2010, 06:40 PM

I honestly wouldnt mind having him around just because we have such a young group but im not sure its worth it.

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Aug 29, 2010, 08:45 PM

"GMJohnson wrote:

Devin Thomas is buried on the depth chart in Washington, I think he'd be a good addition for a mid-late round pick.

Id like to make a play after Fred Davis myself..

Aug 29, 2010, 09:29 PM

I don't have a problem with grabbing other teams' scraps if they're worth grabbing but Coles isn't. He was there in a pseudo-retirement move, on the roster for four games basically, then he'll retire. The Jets decided they don't even want that.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

MikeHonchoMikeHonchoSupporter
Aug 29, 2010, 09:35 PM

"GMJohnson wrote:

Not unless he still has his Jets' playbook...

For entertainment purposes I presume. We didn't need it to beat them twice last year.

Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.

PhinsRockPhinsRockLuxury Box
Aug 29, 2010, 09:56 PM

"Desides wrote:

No.

Why do people want to grab everyone else's scraps?

Thank you, saved me the exact post. :up:

2011 & 2006 World Champions, 2013 National League Champions; St. Louis Cardinals!

Thunderbolt89Thunderbolt89New Member
Aug 29, 2010, 10:13 PM

I thought I read somewhere that he wants to end his career as a Jet so now he can. I agree with others who say he has nothing left,he's over the hill and I would rather have the roster spot taken by one of the younger receivers like Pruitt,Turner,Moore,Wallace. I think the reason why Camarillo was expendable in the first place was they liked what they saw and wanted to keep more than one of the younger guys not give the spot to a guy like Coles.

DesidesDesidesForum Veteran
Aug 29, 2010, 10:19 PM

"djphinfan wrote:

Id like to make a play after Fred Davis myself..

I was driving that bandwagon back when he was available to be drafted, but the guy just isn't panning out in the NFL. The problem isn't his attitude, it's his lack of worth ethic. Wouldn't work out on a Sparano team.

@desides01

"Not you." — Tywin Lannister

ANAnonymousSupporter
Aug 29, 2010, 11:13 PM

"Desides wrote:

I was driving that bandwagon back when he was available to be drafted, but the guy just isn't panning out in the NFL. The problem isn't his attitude, it's his lack of worth ethic. Wouldn't work out on a Sparano team.

Fred Davis hasn't been bad. He had 48 catches for 509 yards and 6 touchdowns last season.

Aug 30, 2010, 12:45 AM

He could have been useful a few years ago, when we brought Penny in but the Jets werent going to give a Fin Killer to a rival.

MonstBlitz;2232016 wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me if he is retained. Jeff Ireland is the nightmare that won't end. The **** stain you cannot flush. The Herpes for which there is no cure.

Phinatic19Phinatic19New Member
Aug 30, 2010, 06:48 AM

the Dolphins should go after Antonio Bryant if hes healthy.