Jets release Coles, next stop Miami?

26 replies

GreenMachineGreenMachineNew MemberOP
Feb 25, 2009, 04:42 PM

I hope he reups with NY, but I think he will try to get to Miami. He is friends with Chad and he lives in Florida..

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/02/new_york_jets_release_wide_rec.html

New York Jets release wide receiver Laveranues Coles
by Dave Hutchinson/Star-Ledger Staff
Wednesday February 25, 2009, 4:13 PM

William Perlman/The Star-LedgerThe Jets released Laveranues Coles Wednesday, but it is possible the wide receiver could return to the team.

The Jets released veteran wide receiver Laveranues Coles this afternoon -- but both sides left open the possibility of his return to the team.

Nappy RootsNappy RootsForum Veteran
Feb 25, 2009, 04:43 PM

i say absolutely!

muscle979muscle979Forum Veteran
Feb 25, 2009, 04:52 PM

I think he'll come to Miami. Good news for the Dolphins.

Alex44Alex44New Member
Feb 25, 2009, 04:54 PM

"GreenMachine wrote:

I hope he reups with NY, but I think he will try to get to Miami. He is friends with Chad and he lives in Florida..

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/02/new_york_jets_release_wide_rec.html

New York Jets release wide receiver Laveranues Coles
by Dave Hutchinson/Star-Ledger Staff
Wednesday February 25, 2009, 4:13 PM

William Perlman/The Star-LedgerThe Jets released Laveranues Coles Wednesday, but it is possible the wide receiver could return to the team.

The Jets released veteran wide receiver Laveranues Coles this afternoon -- but both sides left open the possibility of his return to the team.

I think that means if he doesn't find an offer he likes elsewhere, he will go back to the Jets for less money.

On the draft Quentin Rollins bandwagon.

FAFaninPatsyLandNew Member
Feb 25, 2009, 04:55 PM

I suppose the question is: What the hell are the Jets doing? Congratulations, you have $37 million in cap space, but half a roster to fill.

As for Coles, we'll be happy to take him off your hands. Can you imagine a Pennington to Coles intermediate connection terrorizing the Jets next season? And you thought this past year was great... :lol:

KAKanye WestNew Member
Feb 25, 2009, 04:55 PM

I dont know I am on the fence about this. I want Greg Camarillo , Ted Ginn Jr , and Davon Bess to be our starting three. Plus we are looking for a big wide reciver and Laveranues Coles is 5 '11.

Greg Camarillo is 6'1

Ted Ginn Jr is 5'11

Davon Bess is 5' 10

So add a 5'11 guy does us no good. If we can get Laveranues Coles for a cheap price then I would not mind.

Dont forget this

YouTube - Zach Thomas Cracks Coles

byroanbyroanAdministrator
Feb 25, 2009, 05:01 PM

"RonnieBrownTown wrote:

Dont forget this

YouTube - Zach Thomas Cracks Coles

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove by showing Coles being hit. Boldin got leveled by the Jets but it doesn't mean we wouldn't take him.

KAKanye WestNew Member
Feb 25, 2009, 05:08 PM

"byroan wrote:

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove by showing Coles being hit. Boldin got leveled by the Jets but it doesn't mean we wouldn't take him.

I did not say I was trying to prove any thing I just put it up good gosh

brandon27brandon27Supporter
Feb 25, 2009, 05:11 PM

Id be for bringing Coles here. Sure he doesnt have the size we're looking for right now, but he's an upgrade over anyone we've got thats for sure. Ginn and Bess have lots of potential though, so its a tough call. For the right price, I think Coles is here due to his relationship with Chad


1972 Miami Dolphins-The ONLY undefeated team in NFL history!!!

Sethdaddy8Sethdaddy8Forum Veteran
Feb 25, 2009, 05:25 PM

i agree with RBT. another smallish WR with unremarkeable speed(not ginn) is not what we really need. pennington to coles didnt really do anything for the jets anyway. id rather our 3 young guys and a big physical wr that can easily thwart the jam and offer a different threat for out offense.

that said, coles would add value of course, but its a very valuable spot he's taking up. we're only gonna carry so many WRs.

GreenMachineGreenMachineNew Member
Feb 25, 2009, 05:26 PM

"FaninPatsyLand wrote:

I suppose the question is: What the hell are the Jets doing? Congratulations, you have $37 million in cap space, but half a roster to fill.

What should they do? Keep overpaid underachievers from the previous regime or build a Rex Ryan team?

Half a roster?

They cut Baker, Barrett, Kassel, Bowens and Coles. Hardly half the team. A group of JAGs.

PSGPSGForum Veteran
Feb 25, 2009, 05:30 PM

I'm not sure we need Coles right now.

Rick 1966Rick 1966Forum Veteran
Feb 25, 2009, 06:13 PM

I AM sure we need Coles, and I'd be happy to have him...but I doubt we'll sign him. I wish we would.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Feb 25, 2009, 06:18 PM

"Rick 1966 wrote:

I AM sure we need Coles, and I'd be happy to have him...but I doubt we'll sign him. I wish we would.

Same here, Coles could easily be our #1 wr, all without spending a #1 pick..

JAJacksonNew Member
Feb 25, 2009, 06:23 PM

If the price is right, Coles could be a welcomed addition. We know him and Pennington already have chemistry. We also know Coles is a hard worker tough football player that could help Ginn and Bess progress. With that said, He has given me nightmares and caused me some emotional damage on more than a few Sundays. If he doesn't sign with us, him not killing us is just as good

TheAnswer385TheAnswer385Forum Veteran
Feb 25, 2009, 06:25 PM

If our FO is even thinking about it they will ask Chad what he thinks about the idea of bringing him here and that IMO will be the main factor of this whole thing.

gafinfangafinfanSupporter
Feb 25, 2009, 06:44 PM

I say let the Browns have him. I like who we have at WR.:up:


This is the only thing I’ve learned: There’s only us. There’s no them. Despots and authoritarians need to make a “them” to have a straw man whom you are against. If you need to make an enemy of “them,” you’ve lost the spirit of us. - Ken Burns of PBS

124124New Member
Feb 25, 2009, 07:23 PM

"FaninPatsyLand wrote:

I suppose the question is: What the hell are the Jets doing? Congratulations, you have $37 million in cap space, but half a roster to fill.

The Jets have lost 3 starters (Favre, Coles & Brandon Moore) and three reserves (Kassell, Bowens & Barrett).

Now you can up that cap room antoher $5 million.

Anyways, I think Coles ends up either back with the Jets or with Miami, I expect him to be a Dolphin 100%. He isn't a #1 anymore, but better than anything Miami currently has.

TheHighExhaultedTheHighExhaultedForum Veteran
Feb 25, 2009, 07:53 PM

Sign him immediately.

Georgia FinGeorgia FinForum Veteran
Feb 25, 2009, 08:04 PM

Unless he's asking for an assanine amount of money, then sign him. Who am I kidding, they all make assanine amounts of money.:lol: Still gotta go after him. No guarantees that Penny can make another full season injury free and a veteran WR could be invaluble with Henne in there.

It's the gift that keeps on giving.

GCgcd960New Member
Feb 25, 2009, 08:18 PM

I dont know why this thread was moved. This is probably the #2 Acquisition most fans would want after Brown.

And this makes sense, we need a veteran WR and there is a lot of history.

KAKanye WestNew Member
Feb 25, 2009, 08:32 PM

"gcd960 wrote:

I dont know why this thread was moved. This is probably the #2 Acquisition most fans would want after Brown.

And this makes sense, we need a veteran WR and there is a lot of history.

It does no make that much sense we need a big wide reciver. We already have 3 small ones.

Alex44Alex44New Member
Feb 25, 2009, 08:37 PM

"RonnieBrownTown wrote:

It does no make that much sense we need a big wide reciver. We already have 3 small ones.

If a WR is good it doesn't matter if he is big or small. We need a guy who is good in the red zone, and people equate that with a big tall receiver. Coles isnt big and tall but he IS great in the red zone from what I hear/see. He fills our need perfectly.

On the draft Quentin Rollins bandwagon.

steveincoloradosteveincoloradoNew Member
Feb 25, 2009, 08:41 PM

If Coles came to the Dolphins, he would be the #1 guy. No question about that. He's head and shoulders better than anyone we have on our roster now.

GCgcd960New Member
Feb 25, 2009, 09:16 PM

"RonnieBrownTown wrote:

It does no make that much sense we need a big wide reciver. We already have 3 small ones.

He may not be 6'4 big but he plays big.