1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jets are on top of AFC East

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by dolphans1, Nov 14, 2008.

Tags:
  1. dolphans1

dolphans1 New Member

Oct 15, 2008
    About 3 years ago, I wanted to go after Favre when everyone said he was all washed up.

He's got the the Jets in 1st place and he played a great game against the Pats....

Just goes to show Marino was forced out too early.....

I wonder what the Packers are thinking.......

d-1

2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    The Packers are thinking " Thank God we have ourselves a very good QB in Aaron Rodgers, now only if he we had a rush defense." :up:

3. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I think the packers made the right decision. Not because favre is a bad QB but because he was indecisive about his career. It would have been wrong to tell Rodgers that "you are starting" and then to have Favre come back and take that spot away.

The packers made their decision and so did Favre. They just didn't work out together.

I also think the pack are genius in the fact that they put a "poison pill" in the trade specifics saying that if the Jets were to trade him to anyone in the NFC North (I think that's the division) that they'd get the next 3 years worth of 1st round picks or something similar to that.

4. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    You have to look back and remember that Marino wasn't forced out early. He was done in 1999. It was time. His legs were gone. The stingers had weakened his arm. He threw more INT's than TD's that year. It wasn't good.

It's not just Favre up there. NYJ is three years into their current regime. And Mangini and Tannenbaum were on the hot seat. They spent this offseason trying to load up and win now, spending a lot of money to do it. They are much more talented than we are.

The biggest difference for the Jets is run defense. They've gone from 29th last season to 5th. They've also jumped from 19th to 9th in rushing offensively. Thomas Jones entered last night's game as the AFC's leading rusher, thanks in no small part to Alan Faneca and the four #1 picks they have on the OL.

Favre would not be a good fit for this team IMO. He has turned the ball over 14 times this season, not to mention pick sixes and red zone turnovers. We are not good enough or experienced enough yet to overcome a lot of mistakes. Pennington is the better fit. While it would be nice to have the big arm to utilize Ginn and stretch the field overall, Pennington's better decision-making and ball protection is more advantageous to this team IMO.

Going back to one of my original points, just think of what this team will be like in another two years. You've seen how quickly the Trifecta has turned things around. Imagine where we'll be in Year 3. :)

5. dolphans1

dolphans1 New Member

Oct 15, 2008
    In Marino's last year, he won the Dolphins away playoff game.

Marino was forced out according to his agent Marvin Demoff and Dan Marino.

The Packers similarly were also wanting to go into a different direction as well.

I heard the Brett Favre interview and he kept saying the Packers were wanting him to make a quick decision, and felt like he was forced to make it.

Marino was better than Fiedler or any other QB we had since his ouster in 1999....

d-1

6. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Marino's contract was up, and the Dolphins wanted to go in another direction. The Dolphins didn't cut or release Marino.:wink2:

7. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    I think Marino couldve came back the following season for one more go round, had JJ put him on IR. JJ rushed Marino back from injury to put the team in better position for the playoffs and it backfired. JJ ruined Marino's last season.

8. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Marino admitted that his legs were shot. He could have a good game here and there but he couldn't be good for a whole season. At that point, Fiedler was better QB. I'm glad Marino stopped playing when he did otherwise he would have embarrassed himself.

And the Packers clearly made the right choice. They kept the younger QB who is playing better than Favre and they got a couple of draft picks too.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  9. dolphans1

dolphans1 New Member

Oct 15, 2008
    First and foremost, Marino never made a public statement that his legs were shot.

In fact, he said that he could still play at a high level.

Favre was hearing the same thing, fans were saying the same thing, he was slow, his arm strength was not the same, evidence, throws too many picks and on and on it goes.

Some fans blamed Marino for the Dolphins woes at the running game.

They claimed it took him too long to step back and that he telegraphed the run.

Marino is a "good-guy" and he took the high road.

Marino should have gone to Pittsburgh or Minnesota, 2 teams that believed in him and wanted him bad.....in the end, look what we got, Wannstedt and Fiedler.

Brett Favre handled his situation very well, that's why I wanted him here 3 years ago....he's tough, mentally and physically and very smart.

d-1

FinSane likes this.
  10. dolphans1

dolphans1 New Member

Oct 15, 2008
    I agree, JJ ruined Marino and nearly the Dolphins, by quitting, then using his friend Wannstedt as a bargaining chip when he quit and would only come back if Wannstedt was brought back as assistant HC.

d-1

QUOTE=FinSane;454057]I think Marino couldve came back the following season for one more go round, had JJ put him on IR. JJ rushed Marino back from injury to put the team in better position for the playoffs and it backfired. JJ ruined Marino's last season.[/QUOTE]

FinSane likes this.
  11. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

Marino sure did say his legs were shot. He felt his arm was fine but absolutely said his reason for retirement had a lot to do with his legs.