1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jerome Baker - the leader on D

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Galant, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    Interesting piece from Dave Hyde - go read it!

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports...0190828-hfgewp77jvgzpeeqinkh3kyvoe-story.html

"...It’s OK if you’re surprised Baker, the second-year linebacker who played a platoon role as a rookie, suddenly is the big man on defense.

It surprised him, too. He simply went in to introduce himself to the new coaches last February, starting with linebacker coach Rob Leonard. Somewhere in their talk he was asked how his communication skills were and if he could call signals.

“Any player would say, ‘Yeah, no problem,’ like I did,’’ Baker said. “I didn’t really think anything about it.”

Next he met safety coach Tony Oden. He asked Baker the same question about calling the defense. Then he saw defensive coordinator Patrick Graham, who upped the ante, saying, “We’re thinking of having you call signals.”

This was before any practice, any meeting or any full conversation at all. Baker understood by this point it was more than a casual thought.

“The last person I met is coach Flo,’’ he said of Brian Flores. “He said, ‘we [see] you out there every down, and we want you there calling the signals.’ ”

But calling plays isn’t the big story. It’s why he’s calling them. Baker figured it out as this new defense was installed.

“I learned I’m out there pretty much every package,’’ he said. “There are a lot of changing looks, a lot of changing [personnel]. I’m out there.”

..."

Follow the link up top to read the whole article.

resnor, Tin Indian and Mcduffie81 like this.
  2. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014

resnor likes this.
  3. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Wishing him immense success! I was down on him on draft night until I really watched his games at OSU.

resnor likes this.
  4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Exceeded my expectations that’s for sure..

At only 22 years old, our defensive leader..

resnor likes this.
  5. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    He has speed, quickness and high intelligence, which was why I figured he'd eventually start last year. But he just kept getting better...more aggressive, better vision, usually in the right place at the right time. He blew up a screen in week 2 last season and I thought, huh...he could be special. While he's not the most consistent in tackling, he's easily our most consistent LB overall. More and more teams are looking for that hybrid LB/DE/safety type player and he fits the bill nicely.

resnor likes this.
  6. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    He was all over the place making plays in preseason games.

resnor likes this.
  7. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I like a lot of what Baker offers. He's really small for a LB at 225 pounds, but he's super active. I'm hopeful that even if our pass rush is as bad as I expect it to be, that he's not "wasted" as a blitzer. I want to see him out in space chasing down running backs and in coverage most of the time.

And as DJ said, he's really young too. We'll see when the final 53 comes out this week, but he's likely to be one of the 2-4 youngest players on the team, even as a second year guy. One of the other guys in that group is Rosen as well, so having someone like that on each side of the ball is really exciting for someone like me who always is looking down the road.

KeyFin and AGuyNamedAlex like this.