1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jeremy Shockey the most overrated athlete in sports?

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by DevilFin13, Nov 14, 2008.

1. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Ran across this article via footballoutsiders.com. Most overrated player of our times? It's all about Shockey - CBSSports.com News, Fantasy, Video

Pretty ridiculous to me. I didn't know anyone thought he was anything more than a solid to very good TE.

I'm willing to say Shockey is overrated. But I'm not sure I'd say he is the most overrated player in football, more or less in all of sports. I think every QB is overrated. They get way too much credit and way too much blame. I'm sure there are others that people have. But I don't think Shockey comes anywhere near the likes of a Derek Jeter.

2. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Most overrated athlete stretches it a bit (I'm still inclined to put that label on Vince Young) but Shockey's certainly a lot worse than he himself and quite a couple of people think. As for the QBs thesis, I wouldn't put it that way. There's some overrated ones (Rivers comes to mind) and some very underrated ones (Pennington's finally getting the recognition he deserves after how many years? Oh, and I don't think enough people realize what Roethlisberger has done for Pittsburgh).

3. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Please tell me you didn't just say that Derek Jeter is overrated. I cannot disagree with a statement more than I would that one. Kevin Youkalis I can easily give you, but Derek Jeter?

texanphinatic likes this.
  4. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Derek Jeter was also my #1 sunshine. :wink2:

5. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    OMG. I don't think I can read anymore than this. This truly is sad when this happens. I take it both of you don't just like a different baseball team than the Yankees, but maybe are just opposed to the Evil Empire all together and use Jeter as the poster boy? A Rod as great as he is too many people is one of the most overrated guys in sports IMO, never liked the guy, he never really impressed me as he disappears in the big moments, whereas a guy like Jeter - the exact opposite.

6. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    No.

7. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    You don't think Youkalis is overrated? How?

8. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    1) he had a good year
    2) he came through in the crunch during the playoffs.

9. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Have you watched Derek Jeter when the Yankees won all of their titles? If so there is no way Youkalis measures up if we go by those two criteria. Is Derek Jeter's career coming to a close - yes. Is he as goos a player at 36 as he was at 26 nope. But Derek Jeter is one of the greatest Yankees to put on a uniform, he helped lead that team to a great many wins in those World Series years. I'll compare Youkalis' career with Jeter's in the end and I bet Youkalis doesn't measure up very well either at that point.

10. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    Never said they were equal bro, just that I dont think youkillis is overrated :up:

11. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    A case of agree to disagree, as with most things in sports there is room for all perspectives to be both right and wrong - just depends which side of the stadium you sit on.

12. DevilFin13

Mar 22, 2008
    Why haven't the Yankees won anything recently? Jeter is still there. He is still having pretty much the same years he did back when they were winning titles. Did he lose some of his 'clutch', 'winner', whatever you want to call it, mojo while banging the likes of Jessica Biel?

Jeter is a great hitter. He isn't a very good power hitter though. And the last few years everyone has acknowledged his very average fielding ability.

Bottom line with Jeter. He is a great hitter and therefore a great player. But I say overrated, even very overrated because he gets Tom Brady like praise for those Yankee titles and I don't think he deserves as much as he gets. There were 8 other hitters, a few very good starting pitchers, and one of the best relief pitchers ever helping that team win. Just like with Tom Brady I think he gets way too much individual credit for what those teams accomplished.

And I have a problem with the whole clutch thing. Baseball has a stat for everything but unless I missed it they haven't been able to measure clutch in any significant way. Just as an example, I have a hard time saying that ARod's HR in the 1st inning was significantly more important than Jeter's RBI single in the 9th. They both count as one run no matter what inning it occurs in. Same thing in football. The TD pass that Marino throws in the 1st quarter counts the same as the one Brady throws in the 4th (actually Brady just lets Vinatieri do all of his 'clutch' scoring for him).

13. Dannyg28

Dannyg28 Say hi to the rings

Jan 4, 2008
    one of those websites that measures stats for every single player in every single game(i think baseball prospectus) measured Jeter as the worst defensive shortstop in MLB. Those guys know wtf they are talking about too.

14. Dannyg28

Dannyg28 Say hi to the rings

Jan 4, 2008
    i agree Jeter is posibly the most overated player in the history of sports. He is a good but not GREAT hitter, and an average at best defensive player. if you hear some people talk he is Joe DiMaggio and Ozzie Smith mixed.

15. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Vince Young and Mike Vick are/were WAYYYYYYYYY more overrated than Shockey.

Vince Young was the "2nd coming" last year, all he did was win, I never bought that crap.

Mike Vick was going to revolutionize the position.

Desides likes this.
  16. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Reggie. Bush.

This guy likes to take his shirt off for commercials. I guess those damned directors are a lot more forgiving than the players he meets running between the tackles. Oh wait, he does't do that, does he?

Anyways, a few punt returns won't change my mind.

17. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    You can't win it every year and you can't win it by yourself. But The Yanks did make the playoffs ever year until this for how long?

Dan Marino never won the bowl but he's the best passer ever to live period point blank.

it's still a team game.

18. DevilFin13

Mar 22, 2008
    Exactly my point. Nothing changed with Jeter from the time they won their WS titles and since they have been losing in the playoffs. So it was obviously something with the rest of the team that was different and therefore affecting whether they won or lost. So that being the case why should Jeter get as much credit as he does for the times they won?

19. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I cant put Vince or Bush in the overrated category yet. Bush especially was really coming on this year. The key with players like them is to utilize them properly. Young is not going to line up under center and pass 40 times a game and put up huge throwing numbers (especially with that **** recieving bunch). Bush is not going to line up and take it up the gut 20 times a game for 200 yards like Peterson.
    But with Bush you finally saw the Saints figuring out how to use him. Screens, bounce runs, punt returns, splitting out, and a couple of gut runs for good measure. And he responded. He was become one the best playmakers in the league when he got hurt.
    As for Vince, similar story, but the Titans havent figured out how to use him, and now with Collins playing well they dont need to yet. But Collins is a short term guy, we will definately see in the next 2-3 years what Vince will be.

As for Jeter, without him, the Yanks dont win half of the series they did. ARod is far more overrated than Jeter. I think Jeter is definately not the player he was, and that hurts him in the eyes of people who still expect him to be that guy, but for a career? No question he was an integral part of the Yankees and no way overrrated.

Shockey? Yes, totally overrated. Hes not that talented, oft. injured, and is a total douchebag to boot. Most overrated in all of sports? I dont know about that, but definately one of the most overrated guys in the NFL.