Jennings not expected to command top dollar

65 replies

PhinGeneralPhinGeneralSupporterOP
Jan 20, 2013, 10:30 AM

Not particularly unexpected considering his age, but it does set up nicely for us if the interest is truly there:

Greg Jennings is a really fine wide receiver, but he may be in for a little bit of a rude awakening on the free agent market. According to a couple of front office men I spoke with, teams might not be throwing fistfuls of cash at this two-time Pro Bowler. Why not? A couple of reasons. First, they believe Jennings won’t produce as much without Aaron Rodgers throwing to him, and without Mike McCarthy drawing up plays for him. And secondly, he is 29 years old. Jennings would have been much better positioned to make a killing if he became free after his first contract. Teams are hesitant to pay big for other team’s wide receivers in their third contracts.

National Football Post

shourightshourightNew Member
Jan 20, 2013, 10:57 AM

This is partly why I think he's the guy to go after, because by paying him something less than top dollar, you maintain the "spread the ball around" mentality you're striving for here, rather than implicitly singling somebody out as the go-to guy with his salary.

Then you can also take that savings at WR and spend it on a free agent pass-receiving tight end, which is actually needed much more than a WR on this team, IMO.

MikeHonchoMikeHonchoSupporter
Jan 20, 2013, 11:02 AM

Ermahgerd, we totally got this. Please don't **** us on this one Ireland.

Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Jan 20, 2013, 11:03 AM

"shouright wrote:

This is partly why I think he's the guy to go after, because by paying him something less than top dollar, you maintain the "spread the ball around" mentality you're striving for here, rather than implicitly singling somebody out as the go-to guy with his salary.

Then you can also take that savings at WR and spend it on a free agent pass-receiving tight end, which is actually needed much more than a WR on this team, IMO.

Why should we do any of that, surrounding talent has little effect on winning?

Clark KentClark KentForum Veteran
Jan 20, 2013, 11:03 AM

if he and hartline cost about the same, we can dump Hartline and still go after Wallace.

PSGPSGForum Veteran
Jan 20, 2013, 11:09 AM

"Clark Kent wrote:

if he and hartline cost about the same, we can dump Hartline and still go after Wallace.

Yeah, right.
Teflon Jeff would NEVER do that.

PSGPSGForum Veteran
Jan 20, 2013, 11:10 AM

"Finascious D wrote:

Why should we do any of that, surrounding talent has little effect on winning?

Not sure why we wouldn't save our money and use only draft picks and min. salary guys......

shourightshourightNew Member
Jan 20, 2013, 11:14 AM

"Finascious D wrote:

Why should we do any of that, surrounding talent has little effect on winning?

Much less than does the QB I suspect, but I've been banging the drum for a pass-catching tight end since early 2009, starting with wanting to trade for Tony Gonzalez when he came available. On average, teams with starting tight ends who catch at least the median number of passes per season win four more games than teams without them. That's a major impact position.

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Jan 20, 2013, 11:33 AM

"shouright wrote:

Much less than does the QB I suspect, but I've been banging the drum for a pass-catching tight end since early 2009, starting with wanting to trade for Tony Gonzalez when he came available. On average, teams with starting tight ends who catch at least the median number of passes per season win four more games than teams without them. That's a major impact position.

Fasano can do it. No need to upgrade anything other than QB. The stats say so. If the TE isn't getting enough throws, then its because the QB isn't getting him the ball. Its all Tanny.

MikeHonchoMikeHonchoSupporter
Jan 20, 2013, 11:36 AM

Not sure if serious

Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.

Jan 20, 2013, 11:45 AM

"lmeister3 wrote:

Ermahgerd, we totally got this. Please don't **** us on this one Ireland.

"Have you been using your old spice money on whores? or have you been using old spice to mask the scent of whores?"

"Was the girl on that jetski a whore?"

- Jeff Ireland.

MonstBlitz;2232016 wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me if he is retained. Jeff Ireland is the nightmare that won't end. The **** stain you cannot flush. The Herpes for which there is no cure.

MikeHonchoMikeHonchoSupporter
Jan 20, 2013, 11:52 AM

"Frumundah Finnatic wrote:

"Have you been using your old spice money on whores? or have you been using old spice to mask the scent of whores?"

"Was the girl on that jetski a whore?"

- Jeff Ireland.

omg dude. I had 4 wisdom teeth removed few days ago, and if this didn't **** up the sutures...

Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.

finyank13finyank13New Member
Jan 20, 2013, 11:55 AM

I can see him going to Miami and not being that good at all...especially lets say if that's the only receiver they get....

doubling down on him would render him useless IMO, he just isn't that good of a receiver....good not great....

Miami needs great.....they need Wallace....

just being totally honest, I would rather see them resign Hartline, and make a run at Wallace...

I don't think there is much of a drop off at all if ANY when you take away the Rodgers, GB offense equation....between Hart and Jennings....

“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod

SumlitSumlitNew Member
Jan 20, 2013, 12:28 PM

"finyank13 wrote:

I can see him going to Miami and not being that good at all...especially lets say if that's the only receiver they get....

doubling down on him would render him useless IMO, he just isn't that good of a receiver....good not great....

Miami needs great.....they need Wallace....

just being totally honest, I would rather see them resign Hartline, and make a run at Wallace...

I don't think there is much of a drop off at all if ANY when you take away the Rodgers, GB offense equation....between Hart and Jennings....

Two things:

I hope the drop off between Hartline and Jennings in your scenario is due to you thinking Jennings is not going to be able to remain healthy from now on, because if Jennings is healthy, even at his age, he is much better than Hartline, Rodgers or otherwise.
Also,

Wallace is not great. If he were a great WR, Pittsburgh would have done much more to try to keep him. He is a very good deep threat WR, but he is not great.

shourightshourightNew Member
Jan 20, 2013, 12:36 PM

"Finascious D wrote:

Fasano can do it. No need to upgrade anything other than QB. The stats say so. If the TE isn't getting enough throws, then its because the QB isn't getting him the ball. Its all Tanny.

Fasano has never done it, across seven NFL seasons, two teams, three coaching regimes, and five starting quarterbacks, including Tony Romo, Chad Pennington in his MVP runner-up year, and Matt Moore when he had an 87 QB rating and a 97 rating over a nine-game stretch.

I think it's safe to say Anthony Fasano isn't a pass-catching tight end.

DisgustipateDisgustipateSupporter
Jan 20, 2013, 12:54 PM

"Finascious D wrote:

Fasano can do it. No need to upgrade anything other than QB. The stats say so. If the TE isn't getting enough throws, then its because the QB isn't getting him the ball. Its all Tanny.

Fasano was thrown the ball this year more than he's ever had in his career, and the Dolphins overall threw the ball more to tight ends than any other recent year but 2008, and even then it was close(97 times vs. 89 times), it's just they did so differently, and it didn't fit Fasano. His whole game is fooling defenders on play-action and releasing into a route from pass protection and getting to the intermediate. They had him what was probably too often in the slot, running a shorter route tree, and not faking a block as often as he needed.

I really like Fasano for what he is, but I don't think he ends up back here. I don't think he would want to. I think a team like the 49ers is going to pop some serious wood for him and would make a really nice upgrade in Delanie Walker's role.

shourightshourightNew Member
Jan 20, 2013, 01:04 PM

"Disgustipate wrote:

Fasano was thrown the ball this year more than he's ever had in his career, and the Dolphins overall threw the ball more to tight ends than any other recent year but 2008, and even then it was close(97 times vs. 89 times), it's just they did so differently, and it didn't fit Fasano. His whole game is fooling defenders on play-action and releasing into a route from pass protection and getting to the intermediate. They had him what was probably too often in the slot, running a shorter route tree, and not faking a block as often as he needed.

I really like Fasano for what he is, but I don't think he ends up back here. I don't think he would want to. I think a team like the 49ers is going to pop some serious wood for him and would make a really nice upgrade in Delanie Walker's role.

This is why I think you sign Jared Cook or Dustin Keller, trade back into the late 1st to draft Tyler Eifert, and then throw a Gronkowski/Hernandez-type setup out there. Let Fasano go.

Jan 20, 2013, 01:09 PM

Nothing unexpected here, it's been part of the reason I've figured Greg Jennings to be an attractive target for a while.

I think it all hinges on Brian Hartline. The Dolphins seem interested in re-signing Hartline but the last offer they gave him was so low compared with Hartline's expectations that it actually pissed him off so much that his agent had to talk him down and he couldn't actually comment about it to the press without getting mad until months later (coincidentally when he finished the season with only 1 touchdown). If that negotiation continues to play out poorly, then I think they'll come to look at Greg Jennings as just a replacement/upgrade to Hartline. It's not as if it would be "the big answer" or anything like that. Just like they thought with the QB position a year ago and Matt Flynn, even if they sign him they've still got to draft a guy.

I've been told by someone that the agents for the players are getting a little upset with the Dolphins' lack of contact with them. But the Dolphins have privately told this person that the reason they're not doing that is because they know exactly where the agents are at in terms of the money the agents are demanding, and they also know where the team is currently at in terms of what they'd like to give, and so there's really just not much to say to one another until deadlines start coming closer. It makes sense, but the lack of urgency does concern me a little just because the Dolphins have so many guys to re-sign. Between Jake Long, Randy Starks, Sean Smith, Brian Hartline and Reggie Bush, not to mention this re-negotiated contract they're trying to get done with Reshad Jones, and hell if you like you can toss in Chris Clemons and Anthony Fasano even if they're not as likely to be retained, I don't think you can get all that done in the 48 hours before the deadline. It makes me wonder if they'll end up having to franchise a guy just because they let things get too tight.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

Jan 20, 2013, 01:12 PM

Also whatever the Dolphins' salary cap number is expected to be next year (seems like it's settling in at $46 million) add in about $3.4 million for Richard Marshall's release. I can just about guarantee he's being released. So about $49-50 million...of which $6 or $7 million is needed for draft picks.

So $43 million in space, with 5 picks on Days 1 & 2, with the following potential departures to cover:

LT Jake Long (starter)
CB Sean Smith (starter)
DT Randy Starks (starter)
RB Reggie Bush (starter)
WR Brian Hartline (starter)
CB Richard Marshall (starter)
TE Anthony Fasano (starter)
FS Chris Clemons (starter)
DT Tony McDaniel (rotational)

Not to mention the holes that they came in with, which at a BARE MINIMUM would include:

WR Starter
CB Starter
DE Pass Rush Situational
RB Power Situational

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

PSGPSGForum Veteran
Jan 20, 2013, 01:15 PM

"finyank13 wrote:

I can see him going to Miami and not being that good at all...especially lets say if that's the only receiver they get....

doubling down on him would render him useless IMO, he just isn't that good of a receiver....good not great....

Miami needs great.....they need Wallace....

just being totally honest, I would rather see them resign Hartline, and make a run at Wallace...

I don't think there is much of a drop off at all if ANY when you take away the Rodgers, GB offense equation....between Hart and Jennings....

Jennings is a better WR than Wallace, IMO.

I'd rather sign Jennings and draft Stedman Bailey.

LBLBsFinestNew Member
Jan 20, 2013, 01:57 PM

"finyank13 wrote:

I can see him going to Miami and not being that good at all...especially lets say if that's the only receiver they get....

doubling down on him would render him useless IMO, he just isn't that good of a receiver....good not great....

Miami needs great.....they need Wallace....

just being totally honest, I would rather see them resign Hartline, and make a run at Wallace...

I don't think there is much of a drop off at all if ANY when you take away the Rodgers, GB offense equation....between Hart and Jennings....

Hartline as good as Jennings, wow I've heard it all

PUpumpdogsForum Veteran
Jan 20, 2013, 02:38 PM

"PSG wrote:

Jennings is a better WR than Wallace, IMO.

I'd rather sign Jennings and draft Stedman Bailey.

A healthy jennings is a better all around wr but injuries are starting to become a problem with him.Not sure you can trust he stays healthy for a full season.
As for bailey I think he might be good but if I was a betting man I think patterson is going to be a star.Most talented wr in this draft but we would have to take him with our first pick after he blows away everybody at the combine.

PSGPSGForum Veteran
Jan 20, 2013, 02:47 PM

"pumpdogs wrote:

A healthy jennings is a better all around wr but injuries are starting to become a problem with him.Not sure you can trust he stays healthy for a full season.
As for bailey I think he might be good but if I was a betting man I think patterson is going to be a star.Most talented wr in this draft but we would have to take him with our first pick after he blows away everybody at the combine.

And I'd be OK with that.
But there is no way on Teflon Jeff takes a WR in the 1st round. Pigs will fly first.

Clark KentClark KentForum Veteran
Jan 20, 2013, 03:33 PM

"PSG wrote:

And I'd be OK with that.
But there is no way on Teflon Jeff takes a WR in the 1st round. Pigs will fly first.

lol... I'm not an Ireland fan by any stretch, but you don't know that. In fact, wasn't it reported that Miami wanted Percy Harvin with their 1st pick the year we drafted Vontae? And Jeff isn't the only one calling the shots. I do think Philbin has a great amount of influence. It's his team. If he needs or wants X, Y, or Z WR #1, I fully believe it will happen.

Also, "Teflon" Jeff isn't completely safe. He didn't get fired this year. It doesn't mean much. We all knew he wasn't getting fired. He traded key pieces for draft picks and has managed the cap well enough to have a ****load of money for the upcoming season. The writing was on the wall that Ross was willing to let him see it through. And it didn't hurt that a 7-9 team, which was less talented than last year, went 7-9 again. And considering he's drafting for a new system (offense and defense) than the previous years, I think Ross has decided those don't count. Sparano had no ties to Ireland and vice versa. It was Ross's decision to get a new HC afterall, so he knew the risks.

But the fact is, TS isn't here to scapegoat. Philbin is Ross's guy... And if Ross's guy doesn't get the pieces he needs for improvement, there will be a change made sooner or later. And it won't be Philbin. Ireland must know this.

Sethdaddy8Sethdaddy8Forum Veteran
Jan 20, 2013, 03:37 PM

I think Ireland plays ball with his counterparts. Ross and Philbin like a WR, were taking one. I like GJ. Everyone is clamoring for a speedster/playmaker. I think we just need another competent route runner who can get open 15-30 yds down field.

Who is the track star on NE?