1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jefferson Davis' Slave Spied for the Union?

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by sking29, Feb 21, 2009.

1. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Ducken and cnc66 like this.
  2. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Thanks bro, interesting read. I think the subject is interesting but this article is poorly written. I do not think that this;

meets the criteria for a spy. Informant, but not spy.

Those folks that went back.. they were spys. Send information while in service..spy. Debrief after escape..informant.

Ducken, sking29 and charlestonphan like this.
  3. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Come on Marty you know they have to give the most spectacular sounding story possible to get people not interested in history to read these things. :wink2:

charlestonphan and cnc66 like this.
  4. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

I agree its interesting but not very accurate as for as Davis is conserned. A much better story would have been the woman who worked the spy network in SC and went down and brought back those 800. That to me would have been a much better story, if true, and much more lifting to the young in search of their history. But no they throw out the name Jeff Davis while leaving the real meat of a story buried. Just my 2 cents.:wink2:

sking29 and cnc66 like this.
  5. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Taken from the pages of Harper's Weekly in 1862:

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoundation/civil-war/1862/june/jefferson-davis-coachman.htm

It seems to me that both the author and CNN need to revise their facts. About the only thing they got right was the mans drawing.:lol::wink2: