1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jeff Ireland Draft Interview

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by RoninFin4, Mar 18, 2011.

1. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    From MD. com:

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/jeff-ireland-very-important-draft

The expectations for this team are high. I don’t think we’re that far off. You look at the two teams that played for the Super Bowl last year. One we beat at their home (Green Bay). We should have beaten the other on the goal line (Pittsburgh). They are teams that have overcome things and have great consistency. We are a team that has talent, good youth, that has great toughness and resolve. But we have to find a way to become more consistent and make plays when they are there. We’re close. I really feel like it. The message is be patient. We are looking for a big step this year. I really believe, with the right additions, we can be where we need to be. - Jeff Ireland

ToddsPhins and djphinfan like this.
  2. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    What else would he say.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  3. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I would agree. Unfortunately, I don't think Brian Daboll was the right addition and will lead to more putrid offense from our Miami Dolphins.

4. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    No way we take Ingram. He had too many good things to say about him. He would never talk up a player that he wanted to fall to his spot. If anything, he wants someone to trade up to get him. Im sticking with Kendall Hunter as our RB of choice.

5. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    Maybe its a double smokescreen... :shifty:

Talk up a player because you want to make other teams think you are not going to take him and then you take him... lol just joking.

6. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    "When you prepare almost a full year for a draft, every year is going to look attractive. There are certain positions that are deeper than others. One example is the defensive line. The depth at that position in this draft is just tremendous. This draft also looks good for the things that we need." - Jeff Ireland

Interesting to me is he said "things we need" in refering to depth of the draft class. This to me is code that we would be willing to wait to take a HB later because its a deep position.

7. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    :up:

ToddsPhins likes this.
  8. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    goodbye

9. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    You look lovely today, GM. That shade of green really brings out your eyes.

GMJohnson likes this.
  10. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    :lol::lol::lol:

11. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    The last thing on Jeff's mind is Ingram. The value of this draft <based on our needs> is in the 2nd-4th rounds. Ireland will trade back as many times as he possibly can till the mid 2nd round (or until an impact player of need is sitting there for the plucking). 2 trade backs would be outstanding; 3 would be a gift from the football gods.

If he can't trade back, he'll be looking for defense or Oline over Ingram.

12. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    You're kidding right? I just did a mock where I had us trading down w/ Philly for a 3rd, then trading down again with Denver for the 36 and 46, so we end up w/ 4 picks in rounds 1-3 instead of 2.

It went something like:
    36-Ryan Williams RB
    46-Greg Little WR
    79-John Moffitt LG
    85-Robert Sands SS
    110-Pat Devlin QB
    143-Niles Paul WR/PR
    174-Virgil Green TE
    205-Noel Devine RB/KR
    208-???

Its based on the players available at those slots in WalterFootball's mock draft. And I agree, Ingram at 15 shouldn't even be an option, we need more picks...

ToddsPhins likes this.
  13. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Nope, no kiddin. lol.
    It's funny b/c I was JUST thinking that Ryan Williams in the mid 2nd would be where he puts his foot on the break. This regime loves big physical targets, so hopefully they're enamored with Little. If not, then I'm guessing Jernigan or Edmund Gates.

We know he wants a playmaking RB <to probably compliment Lex>.
    we know he wants a playmaking TE <evidenced by the guys they've looked at so far-- DJ Williams & Julius Thomas>.
    We know he wants more playmaking ability and/or speed at WR <b/c he's stated the obviousness of it numerous times>.

It might sound stupid, but I'd build my draft board around getting Little in the 45-55 range. I'd start there and work backwards. I'd crap myself if our offense had Williams, Little, and Virgil Green on it.

14. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I'd be happy with that draft BTW.

Along with Noel, Nic Grigsby deserves some late round consideration as a playmaking COP back/returner. He kinda reminds me of a poor man's Jhavid Best. <tremendous open field running ability>

Grigsby is extremely quick and explosive with a vertical, broad jump, 10 yards split, and cone drill that would all rank 1st at this year's combine.

He ran a 4.38 & 4.39 at his Pro Day...... along with a 43.5' vertical, 11" broad, 4.17 shuttle, 6.59 3 cone, and 21 bench. Very impressive.

[video=youtube;MJ43Or3TSGE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ43Or3TSGE[/video]

GMJohnson likes this.
  15. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

I'm not so sure Ireland can pull those trades off but if this were to happen, I really like this draft. Not a bad player or prospect on the board. The first three we all should know plenty about but Sands, who is from Miami Carol City, could be a steal. Green could open up the seam in two TE sets with his speed and hands. Not much of a blocker though. Overall I'd be really happy with this draft but I don't see Devine lasting that long.

16. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Youre right TP, that Grigsby guy has some serious shake to him. Wouldnt mind seeing him as a COP guy at all, I'm all about guys who are versatile and can create matchup problems.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  17. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Not stupid at all, Little is at the top of my man crush list, and IMO he'd be a first round pick if it wasn't for the off the field stuff.

18. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Agree w/ all of that Oz, the trades are a long shot but, I'm hoping Ireland can pull something off. There are a lot of DL, and some solid OTs in the mid first round area, hopefully someone bites b/c IMO 15 isnt going to give us much value. Agree on Sands also, I think he'd be a good replacement for Bell in a year or two. Agree on Devine, but I was just going off of what Walter's mock said. If not him, then there are some other scat back types we could target in the later rounds, like the Grisby kid TP mentioned.

Ozzy likes this.
  19. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    He's tied with Hankerson as my #3 receiver <behind Julio>...... and if we didn't have Brandon, I'd take Greg in the late 1st/early 2nd if we traded back.

I'd hate to say it, but if we're stuck at #15, I have a feeling we go defense and hear Aldon Smith or Robert Quinn's name called (which would be ok with me b/c I'd like to see our defense become dominant).

If we cant trade back, I could see:
    1. OLB- Aldon Smith/Quinn
    3. WR- Greg Little/Edmund Gates
    4. COP RB/PR Quizz Rodgers/Taiwan Jones
    5. TE- Julius Thomas (not sure if Green will be available)
    6. RT- David Mims (Virginia Union. massive mauler with lots of upside 6'8 330)
    7. RB- Graig Cooper
    7. BPA

20. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    He's had some injury problems carrying the load, but maybe he can stay healthy in a complimentary role.

Ozzy likes this.
  21. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

Sands is something else. Dude is tall as hell and fast too.

We all seem to have our favorite backs that seem to be going late in the draft. I like Devine big time, but like I said, I think some teams going to grab him earlier. I'd be happy with either one or my late round favorite Da'Rel Scot. I know a some people don't like Scot much at all but I always try to find that late round diamond. To me, he is it....

22. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    i'm in full agreement on the trades .... believe they should readily be there - as most are targeting the same players (DE/T), so there'll have to be some movement. I fully believe we can move down about 5-8 spots, then again to late 1st - maybe even into top 4 in the 2d to pick up those 2-3 extra 2-3d rd picks.

i think we pretty much agree with the target positions - it's just the pick used to fill them that differs sightly.