1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jeff Ireland, a positive spin on our GM

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ToddPhin, Sep 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    What 3 things have the biggest impact on winning a SB?

1. Great Coaching
    2. Franchise QB
    3. Franchise Defense

Think about that for a second. Great coaching with a Franchise QB can win a SB, and great coaching with a Franchise D can win a SB [as the Ravens & Bucs have demonstrated]. What happens when you have all 3? Perhaps a dynasty caliber team like the 3 time SB Pats or 90's Niners & Cowboys?

How bad off for the future are we truly sitting if:
    1. Philbin & Co are the real deal
    2. Tannehill becomes the franchise QB we've missed since Marino
    3. our defense picks up where it left off when it finished the last 10 games of 2011 as a top 3 defense and the #1 ranked pass D.

Jeff Ireland brought in Philbin & Tannehill, and he'll likely either prosper or perish as a GM based on those 2 decisions; however, make no mistake, the guy can identify defensive talent and field a great D. The problem that I see is that so many picks were made to try and right the offense that defense had to be ignored. In 6 years we spend a 1st & 3 2nds on QB. What would our defense look like if those picks were allotted to the defensive side? It's quite possible we'd have the NFL's top defense. Does it suck that we spent so many picks on QB? Hell yes it does. Does it qualify as grounds for tarring & feathering Ireland? Not necessarily if you think about it. If Tannehill is the real deal, then we won't have to worry about the QB position for another dozen years, and Ireland can do what he does best---- bring in defensive studs.

He helped take Miami's 2009 26th ranked scoring defense to ranked 6th in 2011.
    In 2004, before taking over as VP of pro & college scouting, Dallas's D ranked 27th in scoring.
    By 2009 it ranked #2 thanks to the talent he scouted.
    Upon Ireland's departure in '07, the lack of drafted talent dropped Dallas's scoring D to 30th and 20th in 2010 &'11.

List of defensive players Dallas drafted since Ireland left
    2008: Mike Jenkins, Orlando Scandrick, Eric Walden
    2009: Jason Williams, Victor Butler, Brandon Williams, DeAngelo Smith, Michael Hamlin, Stephen Hodge, Mike Mickens
    2010: Sean Lee, Owosu-Ansa, Jamar Lissemore, Sean Wall
    2011: Bruce Carter, Josh Thomas

*** I highlighted the ONLY 2012 starter from that list of 16 players.
    *** Now Compare that to Ireland's MONUMENTAL 2005 defensive draft class of DeMarcus Ware, Jay Ratliff, Marcus Spears, Chris Canty, Kevin Burnett.

That's 5 quality defensive starters, 2 of which have been All Pros. That's the type of stuff that transforms defenses and allows a great defensive team to quickly reload and remain great for a long time. He came to Miami and quickly helped to do the same here.

So I ask you guys---- do you care more about what this team did in the past, or do you care about making this team a winner based on how it currently sits, b/c from where I'm sitting, if Tannehill becomes a franchise QB, if Philbin & staff are a great addition, and if we can add a stud WR in Free Agency, then Jeff Ireland can go to work with all those picks to make Miami's D something the league fears.

That deadly possibility (great coaching, franchise QB, franchise D) should buy Ireland this year and 2013. This is potentially a great opportunity for us. He has a chance to make it happen and prove himself to be GM-worthy, but if his decisions during this period prove to be wrong, we'll be left looking for a new GM. Personally, I'd rather see Ireland succeed and not have to watch a rebuild than hope Ireland fails just b/c your mind may already be made up about him.

2. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

"You win with people." ~ Woody Hayes :shifty:

smahtaz and ToddPhin like this.
  3. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    But it really doesn't matter whatever argument you put together because someone thinks they may have heard someone praise Ireland for picks during the same era they blame Parcells for. It doesn't matter if you personally didn't do it, you still have to own that one.

4. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I've said it before, aside from WR the holes on this team are not at all glaring. Especially if Tannehill pans out.

The offensive line is switching schemes, line calls, and adjusting to a new offense. In my eyes that has more to do with our early struggles in that department than anything. The talent is there to be successful. Let them gel as unit before we burn them at the stake. By week three or four I'm guessing no-one will even remember believing we had offensive line issues.

We are stacked at the RB position obviously and our TE's aren't world beaters but certainly are respectable. Then if you move to the defensive side of the ball I'm very happy with our front seven. Maybe our front four aren't the best in the league but with Wake they can certainly hold their own against many top units. I'd love another pass rusher for nickel situations but that can be addressed next off season along with WR. I'm fine with our line backing unit as well and basically the same goes for them as the front seven.

Then in the secondary even minus Vontae I don't believe we are totally screwed. Let's let Marshall go out there and play before we cry ourselves to sleep. Our safeties need better ball awareness but I'm glad I don't have to watch Bell try and run with pass catching TE's anymore or get beat by speedy receivers deep. He was a liability in coverage getting worse with age.

Next offseason we have a lot of early picks and free agency to try and fill not a lot of holes.

ToddPhin likes this.
  5. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I get what you're saying, but what I'm saying is it doesn't matter what happened during Parcells' years. It only matters what happens from here out. Nobody can complain about what we did at QB if Tannehill becomes a franchise guy. Ireland could be the worst talent assessor of QBs on the planet, but that won't mean a thing if Tannehill is our franchise QB for the next dozen years. If he brings in a FA wr in 2013 who is better suited for us than any 2012 2nd-3rd rounder proves to be, then all the complaining about WR will be a moot point.

jsizzle likes this.
  6. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    PLAYMAKERS! Message ends.

PSG likes this.
  7. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    lol very convenient, give him credit for the good picks in Dallas when he wasn't even the GM, and deflect blame from him for the bad picks in Miami when he actually was GM.

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  8. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    How do you explain the fact that since Parcells left the mold of player Ireland has gone after has done a complete 180 degree turn? Im honestly curious. Or do you not even agree with that?

ToddPhin likes this.
  9. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Like I said, none of what you're complaining about matters b/c I'm going with the approach that he was in charge of scouting all the players, so what's your argument now?

So, in that regard we potentially have a great coaching staff, franchise QB (making all your past QB rants null and void), and GM whose scouting abilities helped turn two bottom tier defenses into top 10 caliber over a 7 year period. 2 teams, 7 years. Argue that, LB. ;)

Cmon, what kind of argument would you have if the D remains top 6, Philbin proves to be as good here as he was in GB, and Tannehill becomes a franchise QB? That would satisfy the 3 most important aspects of being Super Bowl caliber.

jsizzle likes this.
  10. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    "Winning is a good deodorant" ~ John Madden :shifty:

MikeHoncho likes this.
  11. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm not seriously making that argument. I was making LBsFinest before he had the chance.

Alex13 and ToddPhin like this.
  12. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    :lol: ^^^

13. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

How so? 180 degree turn?

14. dolfan22

Hey I hope we win and win big , but a lot of "ifs" and "possibles" being thrown around.

ToddPhin likes this.
  15. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Sparano - Philbin
    Henning - WCO
    Parcellian blue print on offense - Non Parcellian blue print on offense

The only thing that's remained is the way he approaches the defense.... but if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? But even that's been tweaked a bit b/c Ireland isn't as strict when it comes to adhering to a specific size/build/experience mold.

16. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    yes and no.
    Ireland can identify defensive talent. That he's shown for sure IMO. It goes as far as making sure to keep Soliai around.
    The 2 "ifs" are Tannehill & Philbin..... but they're not unrealistic ifs IMO.

Essentially, the past means nothing. Philbin, Sherman, and Tannehill can take care of the offense. The pieces are there minus 1 or 2 receiver upgrades, and those can be satisfied via proven NFL FAs. Ireland can take care of the defense and keeping it a powerhouse if Philbin & Tannehill do their part on offense. It's a perfect symbiotic relationship if it works out. I'm not saying it will happen, but IMO it's worth giving a year or two to see if it does.

jsizzle likes this.
  17. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Tannehill doesn't fit the Parcells mold of a QB.
    Reggie Bush isn't a Parcells RB
    J-Mart is the farthest thing from a Parcells prototype RT

A lot of the defensive players taken and signed don't fit the Parcells mold either IMO Ireland seems to prefer a bit of speed on defense where Parcells required more size.

ToddPhin, Fin D and jsizzle like this.
  18. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Nice post. I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I believe Ireland will get it done. He is into year 2 - doing it his way. It is not a 1 year process it takes several years of getting the right scouts, getting the right coaches, building relationships with other GM's around the league. It also takes time to win games as well. This whole process makes us respectable again. Other players will want to make Miami a destination. Ireland was part of a monster year in 2005. So we know he is capable.

jegol71, ToddPhin and jsizzle like this.
  19. dolfan22

Hope you're right.

Defense has no playmakers, extremely weak safeties , poor depth beyond in several positions , Koa Mis is maybe just below average , Odrick is just a guy , one legitimate rush player . Lots to be determined imo.

Trade Marshall with no real back up plan , the coach admits not a lot has gone right , no wr has stepped up . TE is not a strength , OLine is not the force it should be , again lots to be determined.

Like Philbin , change in offensive direction , but we lack talent imo.

Ireland can find safe , players but so can anyone if they value that with high picks to be honest. Give me a couple players he has picked that have exploded production and impact wise please.

We finish with 5/6/7 wins , outside of Tanneyhill no other players seems certain to be a big time bonafide difference maker you still give Ireland 2 or more years? Don't remember if you wanted to give Sparano another 1 or 2 years honestly , did you?

As you know I like Tanneyhill but the potential perfect symbiotic relationship has little to do with Ireland imo.

We disagree , we'll see ..... I hope you are wrong and we make the playoffs this year , become a final four team next year . I really do , I can't see it if Ireland maintains the way he has managed this team , if it does happen I don't see it will be from him , but hey if he is along for the ride and someone is responsible for us not being a non playoff and beyond , I won't mind.

schmolioot likes this.
  20. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    I appreciate optimism, but this is just ridiculous.

Ireland is a master of defense because of one draft seven years ago when he was at best 3rd in Dallas's chain of command?

Lunacy. Desperation makes a fan base do funny things sometimes

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  21. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Our defense is pretty damn good, too.

ToddPhin likes this.
  22. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Whatever you say bro.

Who's playing safety again?

What's the name of that pass rusher opposite Wake?

23. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    LOL! We were 6th in PPG last season. That seems pretty f*cking great to me.

Man, you want this team to be so bad, don't you? Still pissed over Suck for Luck?

ToddPhin and CWBIII like this.
  24. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    I dont care what the ranking was. They collapsed down the stretch on several occasions. Cleveland, Denver, Dallas, NYG, and others I'm forgetting.

And no, the time to be really bad was last year. Unfortunately your boy Ireland is pulling his usual day late and dollar short routine.

But please, be positive if that floats your boat

25. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    We were 6th in PPG last season over the course of 16 games.

There's no way around this. I don't see what you're doing here. Do you want it to be a bad defense?

CWBIII and ToddPhin like this.
  26. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    No, I don't want it to be a bad defense, nor is it. It's perfectly average. Good run stuffing, below average in secondary and poor at forcing turnovers.

I don't care what the PPG rankings might have been. Our defense is not " damn good" as you suggested.

We start Koa Misi and Reshad Jones. Think about that

dolfan22 likes this.
  27. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I don't believe anyone said Ireland is a master of anything. What I believe others and myself are saying is Ireland deserves to do it his way and to have a real opportunity to see what he can do. The guy has been around football since he was a ball boy with Chicago. He is starting to make the change a lot of people are screaming for and now that he is those very same people are complaining because he's not doing it their way. Jesus' man, everyone chill and give the guy a chance. He has had exactly 4 or 5 months with this new regime. A regime by the way that has totally changed our offense and defense. The philosophies are different and will require adjustments across the board. Ireland is stacking picks and getting rid of the bad apples. No one can argue that Johnson and Marshall are not diva distraction receivers. No room for that s h i t here. Davis is lazy and came into camp out of shape....no excuse he is a pro. It got him traded. Next!!!

Like it or not Ross is going to keep Ireland for at least 2 more years in addition to this year. He will get 3 yrs with Philbin. If at that time we are not a respectable franchise he will be gone. Not until. No way Ross would do that to this coach and I do not believe Philban would come in unless he was sure he would have a stable GM to work with. We need stability, it is the foundation to rebuild from. But hey I could be wrong, doubt it , but I could be.

ToddPhin likes this.
  28. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    You don't care about it because it doesn't back up what you're saying. A perfectly average defense does not rank 6th in the league in PPG

We have a top 5 run defense and an average secondary. We are poor at forcing turnovers but we are great at keeping the opposing team from scoring.

That is a great defense. We need to get better at forcing turnovers but that doesn't diminish how good this defense is.

CWBIII and ToddPhin like this.
  29. patcobb

patcobb Active Member

Jul 28, 2011
    I think our D is much different with out VD. We appear thin in most aspects exept maybe tackle

30. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    i feel the exact same way! if we can pick up a good wr through a trade i believe we might have a chance for a winning season. i heard we got armstrong but i think we need a better upgrade.

ToddPhin and Alex44 like this.
  31. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    either way, the way i see it is we have one more year of suffering and the missing pieces to our puzzle will be addressed with our many draft picks next year and a couple of good free agency signings.

ToddPhin likes this.
  32. Mk2

Mk2 New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    [​IMG]

33. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    All valid concerns my friend. It's not about me trying to be right about anything b/c I'm not saying I'm sold on it all being able to happen. I'm still on the fence regarding Ireland, but if we can put ourselves in the position where he can focus on building a dominant D b/c of Tannehill & Philbin running the offense, I think we have a chance to do something special b/c the one thing I do have confidence in Ireland is his ability to identify defensive talent, and I simply don't think that should be taken for granted is all.

Everything you mentioned is a legitimate concern, one I share as well. I believe Ireland has a plan to address these keen concerns you brought up, but the timing he plans to address them might be different than what the fans are expecting who want to win now. I'm not saying I believe whole-heartedly that he'll make the right decisions, but if QB & HC are finally out of the picture, I'd actually like to call his hand to see what he has in store. I'd like to see what plan of his convinced a successful billionaire with a billion dollars invested into this team to buy into him b/c that guy has more to lose than any of us, and I doubt he's going to choose Jeff Ireland, a guy he'd never met before, over his billion dollar investment.

34. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Let me know when Philbin is the real deal, Tannehill is the real deal, and our defense learns to force turnovers and defend the pass. Until then, Ireland is what he is, a terrible GM sorry to say. I prefer not to play the "if" game.

Laces Out likes this.
  35. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Ridiculous, huh?
    So he was VP of pro & college scouting of Dallas during that time and personally convinced Jerry Jones to draft Demarcus Ware, and then followed that up with creating our 6th ranked scoring D despite being terrible two years prior, but it's ridiculous. yeah, ok. 2 defenses in 7 years that he helped turn around. Put on the blinders all you want but it is what it is.

Let's see: Demarcus Ware & Cameron Wake. If you stack those 2 up vs the rest of the NFL I believe Ireland is winning that battle. If you combined his 2005 draft in Dallas with the guys he brought in here, we'd have the #1 defense in the league.

BTW, your post is full of nothing but immature bashing. You wanna be a big boy------ come back with some posts that have substance and merit b/c you're opinionated gibberish carries no weight. Until then I advise you to stick to the rant forum where diplomacy and respect aren't a prerequisite. :wink2:

36. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Unfortunately, until we know what Philbin is, what Tannehill is, all we have is the "if" game b/c neither you nor I can say otherwise until those 2 cards play out. If those 2 cards turn out to be Aces then it would be possible that Ireland isn't as terrible as people think.

Do you agree that the 3 most important things related to becoming a SB contender are coaching, QB, and defense?

37. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    WRONG. During the last 10 games (when we were 6-4) the defense was top 3 and #1 vs the pass. You ignorantly want to blame the defense, but a wiser person will blame the coaching staff who couldn't figure out a way to preserve 4 4th quarter leads.

38. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Wrong. Over the last 10 games our defense averaged out to being top 3 in virtually EVERY category.

Think about what? Think about you not making any point whatsoever with that statement?

CWBIII likes this.
  39. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    How are we much different w/o Vontae? last year we had no outstanding corner. This year we might not have Vontae but we have SS24 looking like an upper echelon corner. I'm sorry but I'd argue that our upgraded Sean Smith paired with Richard Marshall is no poorer than last year's SS & Vontae. Not to mention our Safety play should be improved vs coverage considering Bell wasn't exactly the creme de la creme of cover safeties. You realize that eventually you HAVE to put your young guys in, right? Do you also realize that if Rashad Jones returned to Georgia for his senior year he had the talent and ability to have become a 2nd round pick?

GMJohnson likes this.
  40. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I understand. Those with nothing intelligent to say resort to insults despite not being provoked.
    Now I know you have nothing intelligent to say. :wink2:

CWBIII likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.