Jay Feely's comments on Cam and JT

39 replies

jason8erjason8erLuxury BoxOP
Jan 4, 2008, 07:59 AM

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2008/01/04/a11c_FINS_reax_0104.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=46

Dolphins kicker Jay Feely told ESPN Radio 760 that Cameron's "one mistake" was "taking on Jason (Taylor) and trying to diminish his role on the team."

"When he came in, he needed to try and establish himself," Feely told ESPN 760-AM. "One of the ways of doing that was to make sure that guys like Jason (Taylor) and Zach (Thomas) understood that he was the head coach ... Probably his one mistake, I think, was kind of taking on Jason and trying to diminish his role on the team, because he's just a guy that gives you everything he's got, he was the defensive MVP and that kind of left a bad taste in all of the players' mouths."

Wow. Very interesting comments that answer a few of my season long concerns.

ARarsenalNew Member
Jan 4, 2008, 08:02 AM

the rest of it is kind of important too

'Probably his one mistake, I think, was kind of taking on Jason and trying to diminish his role on the team, because he's just a guy that gives you everything he's got, he was the defensive MVP, and that kind of left a bad taste in all of the players' mouths,'' Feely said. ``Every first-year head coach is going to make mistakes like those when you come in because you're trying to establish yourself, you're trying to establish your authority over the team.''

Feely said the team also didn't like the way Cameron spoke to Taylor in front of the them.

''I think that there was more made of it publicly than in reality in the locker room, but there wasn't a love-fest between the two of them,'' Feely said.

especially the part of where he said it was made more publicly in than in the locker room...

dolpns13dolpns13New Member
Jan 4, 2008, 08:07 AM

"jason8er wrote:

Wow. Very interesting comments that answer a few of my season long concerns.

eh, the more and more I hear about Cam the more I see how bad of a HC he was. His main knock, no leadership ability whatsoever which is one thing the quote refers to

jason8erjason8erLuxury Box
Jan 4, 2008, 08:09 AM

Ooops. Forgot the link. Fixed it. :001_rolleyes:

jason8erjason8erLuxury Box
Jan 4, 2008, 08:14 AM

I know the Tuna has reached out to JT. I hope he promised to utilize him like in '06. I've been leaning towards having him back next year and this crap just solidifies that thought.

dolpns13dolpns13New Member
Jan 4, 2008, 08:20 AM

"jason8er wrote:

I know the Tuna has reached out to JT. I hope he promised to utilize him like in '06. I've been leaning towards having him back next year and this crap just solidifies that thought.

Parcells also pubically said he would like to keep JT. If JT stays I think he plays much better in 08 than in 07 out of respect for Parcells alone vs. the disrespect he (and half the team had) for Cam. The vets must be LOVING this move

NJFINSFAN1NJFINSFAN1Luxury Box
Jan 4, 2008, 08:25 AM

"arsenal2 wrote:

the rest of it is kind of important too

especially the part of where he said it was made more publicly in than in the locker room...

Yep, in other words it was more the media than with the team.

NJFINSFAN1NJFINSFAN1Luxury Box
Jan 4, 2008, 08:33 AM

Taylor, the 2006 Defensive Player of the Year, was on the NBC conference call because he will be a guest analyst this weekend for the network's Football Night in America show.

''Bill Parcells was hired a couple weeks ago and with that, you knew he would make changes to try to correct this situation we find ourselves in,'' Taylor said. ``A couple days ago, Randy Mueller was let go . And now, Coach Cameron and his staff. It's one of those times, where as a player, it's a little unsettling because you don't really know what's going to happen. Everything is kind of up in the air. You don't have a whole lot of control over it. You step back and control the things that you can and let the things go that you can't. That's the only reaction I could have at this point.''

http://www.miamiherald.com/588/story/366393.html

dolpns13dolpns13New Member
Jan 4, 2008, 08:35 AM

"NJFINSFAN1 wrote:

Taylor, the 2006 Defensive Player of the Year, was on the NBC conference call because he will be a guest analyst this weekend for the network's Football Night in America show.

''Bill Parcells was hired a couple weeks ago and with that, you knew he would make changes to try to correct this situation we find ourselves in,'' Taylor said. ``A couple days ago, Randy Mueller was let go . And now, Coach Cameron and his staff. It's one of those times, where as a player, it's a little unsettling because you don't really know what's going to happen. Everything is kind of up in the air. You don't have a whole lot of control over it. You step back and control the things that you can and let the things go that you can't. That's the only reaction I could have at this point.''

http://www.miamiherald.com/588/story/366393.html

I think he is glad Cam is gone. I dont think JT bought into, nor liked any move he made from day 1

jason8erjason8erLuxury Box
Jan 4, 2008, 08:47 AM

"dolpns13 wrote:

Parcells also pubically said he would like to keep JT. If JT stays I think he plays much better in 08 than in 07 out of respect for Parcells alone vs. the disrespect he (and half the team had) for Cam. The vets must be LOVING this move

Parcells of all people, barring some ridiculously lopsided trade, would never get rid of his best defensive player. The ball is in JT's court now.

As far as playing better in '08, I think so too, but he wasn't too shabby this year either. I think we were all spoiled after '06.

DADannyNew Member
Jan 4, 2008, 08:50 AM

This is just more of the same stuff....Cam is gone and now is time to move on....is a fresh start and the good thing is you can see that Bill and Ireland are in the same page......the HC will be on the same page too....there's gonna be 1 direction from now on and anyone who's not on board with it will not be a part of the team.

Ozzy rules!!

dolpns13dolpns13New Member
Jan 4, 2008, 08:54 AM

"jason8er wrote:

Parcells of all people, barring some ridiculously lopsided trade, would never get rid of his best defensive player. The ball is in JT's court now.

As far as playing better in '08, I think so too, but he wasn't too shabby this year either. I think we were all spoiled after '06.

well historically JT usually gets off to slow starts. did he deserve the pro bowl, i cant argue that he did or didnt. But when asked what Parcells would do with JT he said, that he would like to keep him and its his philosophy that you keep the good players you have, and try to aquire more good players... Now what he does with ZT, I dont know. But I would think that if he keeps JT, he keeps ZT. If he releases ZT then were gonna have some major issues at MLB because Crowder isnt good enough to start at that position

His'nBeatYour'nHis'nBeatYour'nNew Member
Jan 4, 2008, 09:46 AM

Don't like Cam very much as a head coach. And if you've seen my rants about him lately, you'd agree that is an understatement.
Generally the head coach asserting his authority, especially in his first year, is important. If Cam hadn't challenged JT, and the team still performed the way they did this year, Feely could just as easily be saying that Cam's problem was that he let others assume the leadership role for the team. So I'm not sure that Feely has pinpointed the cause of the problems with Cam's leadership, but he is telling us that there was a big problem. More than a lot of Cam defenders want to admit.

What I find interesting is how quickly these comments were made. Less than 24 hours after his demise, the kicker of all players is calling out Cam's leadership. Whether it was this move that showed Cam's lack of leadership or not, the bottom line is that Feely is telling us that the locker room didn't believe in Cam. That is why he wasn't given another year. Great coordinator, bad leader. Good riddance.

sabanhatersabanhaterNew Member
Jan 4, 2008, 09:46 AM

Taylor has earned his respect as a player in this league, Cam has not as a head coach.

adamprez2003adamprez2003Forum Veteran
Jan 4, 2008, 09:49 AM

Well if he lost the confidence of the kicker then I agree that Cameron should have been let go



2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock

Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

MrtreeMrtreeForum Veteran
Jan 4, 2008, 09:57 AM

I think Parcells would be open to trading Taylor...for the right price. Which, in turn, I doubt anyone will play. Taylor is still extremely valuable to this team. It's just that we are in long term mode now, and he only has so many more years in him.

I don't get Cam singling Taylor out much like I didn't get it when Saban once singled out Zach. These guys are practically like having an extra pair of coaches. They are always motivated, play at an extremely high level, and do it for the team. Why single a guy like that out?

PHphinfan0715New Member
Jan 4, 2008, 10:01 AM

I was suspect about Cam when he was talking about starting Chatman over Ronnie, I knew then he was not going to make it as a head coach.

dolpns13dolpns13New Member
Jan 4, 2008, 10:03 AM

"phinfan0715 wrote:

I was suspect about Cam when he was talking about starting Chatman over Ronnie, I knew then he was not going to make it as a head coach.

and starting ronnie as KR, and playing JT on ST's...Overall Cam didnt know what he was doing. He made mistakes a high school coach wouldnt make

BigDogsHuntBigDogsHuntNew Member
Jan 4, 2008, 10:08 AM

"adamprez2003 wrote:

Well if he lost the confidence of the kicker then I agree that Cameron should have been let go

The NFL Litmus test! :up:

BDH -

"To me, there are three things we all should do every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And Number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy.

"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."

Jimmy V. (Mar '93)

PHphinfan0715New Member
Jan 4, 2008, 10:09 AM

"dolpns13 wrote:

and starting ronnie as KR, and playing JT on ST's...Overall Cam didnt know what he was doing. He made mistakes a high school coach wouldnt make

Yeah, I forgot about the Ronnie at KR experiment, that was ridiculous.:confused2:

Coral ReeferCoral ReeferNew Member
Jan 4, 2008, 10:10 AM

"phinfan0715 wrote:

I was suspect about Cam when he was talking about starting Chatman over Ronnie, I knew then he was not going to make it as a head coach.

My God, cant you see the obvious?
That move wasn't a colossal mistake in personnel assessment and utilization at all!
That move was the move of a master motivator!
:lol:

RIP Jetssuck

dolpns13dolpns13New Member
Jan 4, 2008, 10:14 AM

"phinfan0715 wrote:

Yeah, I forgot about the Ronnie at KR experiment, that was ridiculous.:confused2:

how about calling a timeout after an incomplete pass... Oh man, the list just goes on and on from training camp all the way to week 17...

How did we not lose a game during our bye week is another question :glare:

Dolphins77Dolphins77New Member
Jan 4, 2008, 10:26 AM

You know, everyone questioned what Cam did to Ronnie, making him return kickoffs, talk of starting Chatman and look what it did to Ronnie, ignited a fire in him and thats exactly what Cam wanted. Ronnie was a beast right before he got injured, definitely on pace to be in the pro-bowl. Maybe Cam tried to do the same with JT? (This is speculation) Except it backfired with JT because of his ego. Maybe Cam came into the situation, saw Ronnie and JT slacking off in practice and decided to fire them up SOMEHOW. How do you do that? Have them prove to you that they want to play, have them compete like they want it. It probably didn't work with JT either because Dom didn't know what the H he was doing with the defense and that probably frustrated JT further. You know, JT did give the game ball to Cam when they won so maybe he understood what Cam was trying to do, and appreciated it. Who knows, this is just one person's view, a kicker, and y'all are running with it. No one knows what JT and Cam have said to each other away from Feely.

houtzhoutzNew Member
Jan 4, 2008, 10:28 AM

JT was a beast without Cam. Cam tried to tame the beast, then the alpha male came in and bit him in the ass.

Goodbye Cam Cameron. YOU FOUR EYED MFER!!!!!

His'nBeatYour'nHis'nBeatYour'nNew Member
Jan 4, 2008, 10:32 AM

"adamprez2003 wrote:

Well if he lost the confidence of the kicker then I agree that Cameron should have been let go

If it was only the kicker the guy might still be around. The kicker is the one telling us that he lost the confidence of the team.