1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jason Taylor-DL-Dolphins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Apr 3, 2008.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    The Jaguars are "believed" to be willing to give up only a third-round pick for Jason Taylor, according to the Miami Herald.

That isn't going to get it done. Even if the Jags offered their second-round pick, the Dolphins would probably balk. If Jacksonville won't part with its first-rounder (No. 26 overall), the team could try a package. We suspect Bill Parcells will at least want their second-rounder and more.
    Source: Miami Herald
    http://www.rotoworld.com/content/home_NFL.aspx

PhinsRock likes this.
  2. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Can't really blame them...if they keep the third rounder, they may not get a JT, but they'll get someone who could be with them a lot longer...JT, despite not showing his age, by all rights only has a couple of good seasons left before his physical skills will start to show his chronological age. They'd be paying two draft choices for a high end player for at best 2 years.... Can't really blame them, but the offer still stands...

3. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    We will get atleast a 2nd or just settle for having a pro bowler for another couple of years.

jason8er likes this.
  4. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

The closer we get, and the more I hear from Sparano and Parcells, the more likely it seems to me JT is still a Dolphin next year, which will not bother me at all. He is still my favorite Dolphin after Ronnie Brown that is. (and of course my boy Josh, can't forget him now can I?)

5. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Im thinking the same thing. Its sounding more and more like they want to keep him. Or is that just their way of trying to make everyone think we wont take chris long. I think that if we take Chris Long at #1, JT might be gone, and will definately be gone if the right deal... say a 2nd and a 4th came along whether we draft Chris Long or not.

6. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Let's look at the Pro's and Con's of potentially dealing Jason Taylor for a 2nd or 3rd round pick this year.

PRO's
    - A successful draft pick could play for 7-12 years, whereas Taylor will probably play for 1-3 more years.
    - The Dolphin's are aiming to be competitive (according to the Front Office) in about three years, not this year. That makes it better to have a player who will still be here (and improving) in three years instead of retired. Having Taylor this year helps the team less long-term.
    - It pleases fans this year, while we are still bad (probably).

CON's
    - Jason will not be around to mentor new lineman. If we got Chris Long, for instance, Taylor could teach him a lot.
    - We lose one of the team leaders (probably the most prominent one remaining) both on the field and in the locker room.
    - The Dolphins defense will be worse without him this year.
    - You don't risk 'missing' on the draft pick and getting a sub-par player in return for Taylor.

Overall, this depends on whether it's more important to you to field the best possible team *this* year at the cost of being better in future seasons, or to make every decision for the long-term health of the club even if it means taking a stepp backwards in the short-term.

I am in favor of building this club slowly (properly, in my opinion) through the draft, and with a roster of talented youth that can develop, and peak, together at the same time in a few years.

I would negotiate as if I expected a first, then , in the 11th hour, settle on a compromise of a 2nd/3rd roound pick.

dditionally, I would structure the trade so that if that team goes to the superbowl or Conference Championship, the pick moves UP one round. similarly, if Taylor plays three full seasons for the team, we get an additional 3rd rounder from them in three years. that addresses the majority of other team's concerns which "devalue" this Pro-Bowl caliber player.

Bpk in LA

~out~

DOLFANMIKE and ATVZ400 like this.
  7. phinfanuk

phinfanuk Season Ticket Holder

Dec 19, 2007
    They are ready to win now, in the same way that the Chiefs were when we sent Pat Surtain their way. If I'm the Jacksonville GM, I'm thinking a superbowl appearance is worth a second rounder this year.

8. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    a late 3rd rounder is out of the question. At a minimum, JT is worth a second to a contending team. Someone out there will offer a second and a fourth/fifth or something like that by the time it comes down to it.

I don't blame the Jags for a low offer, it's not outrageously low after all.

9. Miamifan1354

Miamifan1354 Not Good Enough.

Jan 3, 2008
    It's just like anything else.. They say third, we say first, they say second we say second and fourth, they go second and 7th and we end up with like a second and 5-6. I don't want to see it happen, but I understand if it does.

10. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    A 3rd round pick please please dont make me laugh

11. dgb11112

dgb11112 Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2008
    Atlanta
    IMO, If they want to sniff a superbowl they need t get serious in their negoatiations if they want JT. I mean their first round is a low round pick. If they had a pass rush like the Giants had they would have beaten New England. So pony up big boys if you want the HAMMER!:up:
    :hi5:

MIKE likes this.
  12. Marino1983

Marino1983 Junior Member

Mar 23, 2008
    One thing that you can safely say,,, Parcells will get as much value as he feels is necessary when trading, drafting, signing f-a players to this roster..

If he doesn't get the highest possible value for JT then 99 will stay in Miami.

Marino1983

13. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I'd agree, especially if we draft Jake or even Dorsey rather than Chris...
    But Chris will be awfully tough to pass on, IMHO....