1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jason AssCole: Fins top draft target: TE Gavin Escobar

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Section126, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    [video=youtube;ljO2OScTeRI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljO2OScTeRI[/video]

2. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Why would Jason Cole know who the Dolphins' top draft target is at any position?

Btw I like Gavin Escobar.

Bpk and ToddPhin like this.
  3. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    So do I.

Just weird that Jason AssCole would report this.

4. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Probably the surest sign that they actually like Travis Kelce.

Xeticus, Fin-Omenal and Bpk like this.
  5. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Why would our top target be Escobar? Couldn't we get him in the second?

Bpk likes this.
  6. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    :lol:

Ireland told him over margaritas?

7. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    because we will be trading back our 1st and 2a until 2b becomes our first pick, duh.

8. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    He was looking at it on someone elses twitter account.

Bpk likes this.
  9. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    He claims 2 sources.

Source #1: Armando
    Source #2: Jaime at the local bodega who told Armando.

10. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I like Gavin Escobar but there's no way around the fact that he's slow. I'm not sure why it was such a shock that he looked slow and didn't have much lower body explosion at the Combine.

This is part of why I steered toward Travis Kelce in #MockTwo

Bpk likes this.
  11. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I don't see much difference between a handful of these coveted TEs and Egnew. Obviously the physical Kelce is in a different mold.

12. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Kelce is one angry guy. It shows up on the field. It showed up off the field too, unfortunately. But I like it. He's sheer brutality mixed with great ball skills and really very good athleticism.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    He missed one year due to a fight at practice, didn't he?

14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I was totally going to say this guy looked like Egnew in that video Sect posted, but I figured I'd get yelled at or something.

15. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I'd prefer he were a little more twitchy and shifty after the catch.... but beggars can't be choosers, eh. I wish we actually knew what Philbin & Co's vision and desired scheme is for this offense rather than the making do with what we have like we saw last year.

If Ireland is intent on brining back Fasano as the #2, do you think he'd go with another physical guy as the #1.... or do you think it could be possible we retain Fasano long enough to groom Kelce as his replacement and eventually roll with Kelce, Egnew, and Clay (or preferably a stud Hback like Gragg)?

16. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I think a handful of these guys look like Egnew, which isn't as farfetched as some fans would have it be considering Egnew was the 3rd TE taken, has good size, posted great combine numbers, and was a productive All American in college. If we were to put him in this years draft, I bet many of us would be talking about how Egnew would be a great pick in the 3rd round.

MrClean and Fin D like this.
  17. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Anyone remember or not see this play by Egnew?
    [video=youtube;rmleSF67fTs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmleSF67fTs[/video]

3 games from 2010 (vs Ill, Neb, Iowa) in case anyone wants to compare Egnew to this year's crop.
    [video=youtube;diclp2_25ys]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diclp2_25ys[/video]

Xeticus, Oboy and ckparrothead like this.
  18. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Egnew and Escobar are very similar. I just don't see it as a fit.

19. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Yup. And his blocking is... a good effort, at best. I don't know why anyone would be excited if Escobar was supposed to be the jewel in the crown of this season's draft 'haul'.

He is decent. But nothing to write home about.

20. Bpk

Unless its a horrendous sign of them having so quickly and almost entirely lost confidence in Egnew's chances.

I think people get a boner over Escobar's height and length. There's more to being a great TE than passing the eye test though.

21. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    yeah one of these days I fully expect him to be flagged 15 yards for taking a shot to the head and subsequently raping the defender's wife & kids for it. lol

ckparrothead likes this.
  22. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I forget who it was, maybe Simon, but the scuttlebutt on it is that a big Miami Hurricanes style melee broke out and Travis Kelce took a page out of Happy Gilmore's book and started using sports equipment as a weapon (in this case his helmet, not his skate).

What can ya say, he's an angry dude.

23. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    For me, if Egnew were in this year's draft I'm inclined to put him firmly in the mix of Ertz, McDonald, Escobar, and Kelce..... perhaps just after Ertz and ahead of Escobar as far as that particular mold goes.

24. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    By the way I still refuse to give up on Egnew himself. I just think if we're drafting a tight end then we ought consider an anti-Egnew as a foil to Egnew.

And if we are going to re-do the Egnew pick then Joe Fauria looks like he'll be available late.

Xeticus, Mile High Fin, Zanno and 4 others like this.
  25. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Oh man. That's pretty serious. Philbin and Ireland apparently are huge on character, so I think that could give them second thoughts on drafting him. Even though we could use a player like him.

26. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    If that's the case, that's on them. He was a young kid and a teamwide melee broke out. He paid for his crime, dearly. Kids learn from mistakes sometimes.

27. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    It was me.

28. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    totally agree. Either McDonald or Kelce as the inline-capable type.... Gragg at Hback..... or a Fauria type capable of adding an extra redzone element. Anyone else you'd add?

29. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    in the elevator?

Oboy likes this.
  30. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Egnew had a great combine last year. We probably were talking about him a year ago but I don't remember. His broad jump and his vertical were both outstanding as I recall and he ran as fast as Eifert did this year. 21 reps on the bench I think. If he ever becomes what we hope he'd become on the draft day, we'd have a fine Joker tight end.

Zanno and ToddPhin like this.
  31. MrClean

McDonald would be interesting. He looks like he could be Dan Campbell's younger brother to me. As for facial resemblance.

ToddPhin likes this.
  32. MrClean

As for Escobar, I like him a lot. I think he could be your on the line Y tight end. To me, he looks faster on the field than what he timed at the combine. He has a smooth gait, not a rumbling type of runner. I believe he has the best, softest, most natural hands of any TE in the draft. He is a natural plucker. Has a real aversion to ever letting the ball get into his body making a catch. He tries pretty well as a blocker I think. Not the best, but the effort and desire to be a good blocker are there. He's moldable in that regard, IMO.

33. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Don't make me go back over Egnew's combine and think "BUT HOW. HOW ARE YOU NOT PLAYING"

34. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    He's an interference blocker at best. Occasionally he's better, but he's not very good in that area. If they wouldn't play Egnew because of that, I sense Escobar won't contribute much early either.

35. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I was right when I said it was Armando then........:shifty:

Boomer likes this.
  36. MrClean

A lot of being a good blocker as a WR or TE is the desire to want to be. I sense that Escobar has that drive to become a better blocker. It's important to him. That is my perception.

37. Bpk

Yes, but....

Escobar shows more want-to as a blocker than Egnew displays. That gives me more hope for his blocking developing than Egnew's blocking developing. In turn, that gives me more hope Escobar sees the field than Egnew seeing the field.

I'd rather not have to worry about either of them, though, and just take a guy who can block decently.

38. Bpk

Releative to what Egnew displays this is probably true, though it's a low bar.

[​IMG]

39. MrClean

JMO, but I'd say relative to tight ends coming out in general. If one were sure Egnew could be a good Joker and wanted to compliment him with an on the line Y, then I'd also consider Michael Williams of Bama. He should be available in the 5th most likely. IMO, he's the best blocking TE in the draft inline. He'd also pair nicely with Jordan Reed or Chris Gragg. Williams is a lot like Howard Cross used to be for the Giants, but I think he moves better than Cross.

40. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    I caNt think they're done with Egnew yet. Not Philbin's style.

Zanno likes this.