1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jason Allen unfiltered

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Oct 21, 2008.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    gafinfan, jdang307 and alen1 like this.
  2. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Thanks for the article. This has been touched on so much. He has shown nothing but ability at safety, yet each coach keeps thinking they can convert him to CB. The DB coach even said it this year during the offseason, that Jason's a safety through and through, but it's tempting to convert him.

funkdat and alen1 like this.
  3. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    when the HELL are we gunna see this dude on the field!?!??!

funkdat likes this.
  4. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Okay, seriously, am I the only one who finds something wrong with that situation?

funkdat likes this.
  5. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Yes. 100%. And on top of that, they started Crocker instead, while praising Crocker's coverage skills. THat's like quadruple super slammy whammy. Doesn't make sense whatsoever.

In my very humble and uninformed opinion, that Crocker crap was used to mask their desire to switch Allen to CB, after their DB coach said they wouldn't!

6. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think "tempting" might be the wrong word. I don't think it's something they want to do. Safety was our problem last year, and it's been a decent part of our problem this year.

7. dolphan117

dolphan117 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Interesting the contrast in how smart/dumb he sounds in that clip. Doesn't sound all that bright until he gets asked about our receivers and then it seems like he all of a sudden he gets sharp and starts talking about receiver strengths and weaknesses. It just seemed like his demeanor changed pretty dramatically.

Was I the only person who thought that?

8. dolphan117

dolphan117 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    I think this is what happens when you switch coaches, it takes them a while to get to know who the guys are on thier roster and what they are capable of.

Day one- Ricky is the starter, Ginn is not our kick returner, and Allen is on the bench. I took issue with all 3 because for those of us who have followed the team we KNOW Ronnie is better then Ricky (though I love Ricky) Ginn is FAR better a kick returner then Bess will ever be, and Jason Allen has shown flashes when he has seen the field consistently.

Flash forward from the start of the season to now.... And guess what? After seeing some game action our staff has figured out what we all knew. Ronnie is a beast and Ginn should be our starting kick returner. I just wonder how long its going to take for them to figure out that Jason deserves more PT.

This is what happen when you switch coaches. Sure they watch tape from last year but when it come to who plays day one of the season its based on what guys had the best camp/pre season. They have to go on that, because as a coach you can watch film all day but in the end you have to make the final evaluations on what you see with your own eyes.

So Ricky and Bess have good camps while Jason is sub par = Ricky starting and Bess as our kick returner with Jason on the bench.... The only good thing is that this staff does seem capable of realizing things need to change and when they do guys get switched.

I am very disappointed though that Allen was moved to corner. Very, very disappointed. I just hope they find out a way to get him on the field and settled before they ruin him by constantly jerking him around.

9. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    After watching the interview I think it is clear he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed but I think he does have football smarts and thats all that matters. They need to put him out there and see what he can do and if he works out we have a big playmaking corner which is something this team needs.

10. Silverphin

Nov 25, 2007
    Problem is, Jason Allen didn't have a sub-par camp. At the very least, during camp/pre-season, he outplayed every safety on our roster not named Yeremiah Bell.

11. Silverphin

Nov 25, 2007
    After watching the video, I must say, Jason Allen's not a public speaker. But he has said a lot of smart things in that video. So, I really don't see where the "dumb" thing comes from. Public speaker, no. But dumb he is not.

12. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I still can't understand why he's not on the field nor can I understand the move to Cornerback. Makes no sense to me. I think Allen has good cover skills but he does take poor angles in run support and does get out of position at times. However, I don't think you can just completely take him off the field when he can make a play in the secondary and the secondary is playing so poorly at the moment. He has pretty good ball skills. I've said it time and time again that I think he can match up with some of the better receivers in this league. He has the size at 6'1, 210, he has the speed at a late 4.3 forty and can jump with the best of them with a vertical leap of 39-40. Keep him at Safety because he is a better player going downhill. If you need him to match up with a specific player in situations, then play him as the Nickel CB.

Also, I don't buy the whole he's not a bright person. This is a simplified defense in which he looked good in all throughout camp and pre-season. He graduated in business sports in three years as well.

The only thing that could be keeping him off the field is his adjustment to the NFL level. That was one of the questions when he was coming out. How long would it take him and so forth. But he did make plays last year so I don't know what the heck it is. This has to be the most confusing thing I've seen from an NFL team not named the Raiders.

13. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Am I the only one amazed by the absolutely terrible grammar in this blog? I mean, I understand that it's a blog, but still, he is a journalist...

14. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

It's a bit strange. They're not just sitting him so he can warm the bench.

15. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    excellent points, i believe once J allen gets on the field and his instincts take over the coaches won't be able to take him off the field.

Iam dissapointed like some that they made him switch but also think that his liabilities that he had at safety will be less magnified at corner.{ liabilities being a little frail,and easy to fall for play action} When i hear him say he likes to play against the bigger receivers and be physical with them, that sounds good comin from a corner, {less dangerous collisions}. His fearlessness has never been questioned by us, and he has loyalty with us because we have seen him play in real games, we know the kid is gonna play all out, and he has a presense on the field.

Maybe thats why their making this switch, they just cant trust his instincts at safety and they feel that his athletisism and natural ability will be more of an asset at corner.

I like J allen, i will be pumped when he gets his time, i feel good that he will come thru.