1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jason Allen is working primarily as a cornerback

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Ludacris, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Miami Dolphins | Sun-Sentinel Blogs: Dolphins Depth Chart - (Oct. 8)

Good thing seeing Allen ahead of Nathan Jones and just behind Will Allen. Jason may have progressed nicely in practice as a corner.

We might even see him matched up against bigger WRs like Andre Johnson

Larryfinfan and anlgp like this.
  2. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Well, it's not like our CB corps can get any worse because of this. With Goodman iffy from game to game, might as well see if Jason can use his speed and instincts (not to mention tremendously better hands than Will) well at the CB spot.

3. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

:pity: People don't seem to learn with Allen. Plop him back at safety and let him roam centerfield. Anything else and you are asking for trouble.

And Hagan sinking from starter to inactive is sad. Good thing Roth, Crowder and Ronnie Brown (especially Ronnie) have worked out because Saban's second year class looks to be a pile of poo at this point.

4. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    That'd be nice but unfortunately he just hasn't shown enough to Parcells to start at safety over Hill. Time at CB over Goodman's got to be better than on the bench at safety.

5. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Parcells is NOT the coach. This is a Sparano decision. Personally, I saw Jason Allen play much better late last year and even in the preseason of this year.

He can't possibly be worse than Chris "Toast" Crocker. Heck, Renaldo Hill hasn't played that well this year. I pretty much blame his lack of focus on why we lost to the Jets in Week 1.

I don't think Allen is a world beater, but I do fele his best football position is at safety. It has been proven that he is not a smart player and constantly switching his position the way they have is a detriment.

6. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Same deal. Same philosophy.

I like Allen at safety but if he can work at CB, why not? Goodman's as bad in his position as Crocker is in his and I think we're weaker there. Pretty much every guy drafted in the latter half of the 1st round in the secondary has gone on to start at CB in Allen's year. Hate to think we missed out.

7. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Intresting Jason Allen is the third cornerback on the depth chart ahead of Lehan. I think by the end of the season we may be seeing Jason Allen starting at corner alongside Will Allen with Lehan being the nickel back.

8. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I think you're spot on there. With Will Allen being a free agent I believe, I like envisioning a Jason Allen - Vontae Davis duo; even if it is WAY early for the draft.

9. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, could also be that the Staff is happy with out Safeties, meaning the only way JA sees the field is as a CB.

I like his flexibility, but if we boil it down, JA has not stepped up and won a starting spot, that is disappointing.

10. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I think this is his last chance, if he does not step up, he will be gone next year.

Stitches likes this.
  11. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    So you don't think the Trio would resign Will?

12. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

This is clearly a move of lining up the best 5 players in the secondary. It's apparent, that since Jason isn't good enough to supplant either safety position right now, he's clearly the next best player and can play the CB position, although I agree that CB is not his best position...

Goodman has been up and down this year, but he had a whale of a game last week, barring whoever was at fault for the wide open Jackson pass that was overthrown...

13. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007

But I don't understand it?

He was all over the field making plays in the pre season. I know, I know, it's only the pre season, but he really displayed his atleticism out there.

His knock is his intelligence, as per others, but isn't this a simplified defense?

I'd love to see him find a spot on this roster because I have a feeling that if we let him go, he will be utilized fully by another team with 'patience'. And don't give the BS that we gave him what, 3 years? In each year we had a different coach with a different oppinion on JA.

Ultimately, I think we have to stick with this guy because I feel he can turn into a solid player, he has already showed the physical tools, he just needs the intagibles now. Unfortunately, those may take time to develope under one regime.

14. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    That's the thing Tone. He is struggling to get on the field in a simplified defense which is best suited for him. He did impress in preseason and toward the end of last year (somewhat) but he can't get on the field now which is why I don't think his stay in Miami will be long. He takes poor angles when tackling ball carriers (i.e. In NE last year against Maroney) and who knows how they feel about him in coverage. Didn't Sparano say he thought Crocker was a good cover man which is why he started over Allen? If so, that's not a good thing for Allen.

As for the CB move, I think they should have left him at Safety and tried to work him up there.

Tone_E likes this.
  15. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Cornerback, Safety, he's lucky he's not working at Burger King.:pity:

Kanye West likes this.
  16. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    We need to stop moving this guy around I know he is have problems getting on the field but maybe that is because he can get use to position. We need to keep him at conorback a let him stay there.