Jason Allen interception at goaline and blown 4th and inches call.

27 replies

MerauderMerauderNew MemberOP
Sep 20, 2010, 03:27 PM

Others have probably brought this up already but did anyone else think that Allen int should have been a touchback? His butt came down on the line. I thought we got screwed on that. Also, the 4th and inches where we clearly stopped the Vikings but they gave them the first down anyway. That had to have been one of the biggest bs calls I have ever seen. It was obvious that he was stopped. Wasn't even close.

pennphinfanpennphinfanForum Veteran
Sep 20, 2010, 03:29 PM

yes they were annoying at the time but no sense in worrying about them now, we got the W. All that counts :up:

TrowaTrowaNew Member
Sep 20, 2010, 03:31 PM

Well, his foot touched down in the field of play and his momentum carried him into the end zone. It was the right call. I've already addressed the 4th and 1 adnaeseum

MerauderMerauderNew Member
Sep 20, 2010, 03:35 PM

"Trowa wrote:

Well, his foot touched down in the field of play and his momentum carried him into the end zone. It was the right call. I've already addressed the 4th and 1 adnaeseum

I just saw the replay a hundred times. His butt comes down first and when that happens the ball is on the goaline. It at least deserved a review I think. That ****ty field position ended up being HUGE. There is nothing to say about the 4th and inches call. We got screwed. Plain and simple.

KeyFinKeyFinForum Veteran
Sep 20, 2010, 03:39 PM

Last year when we were choking through the late part of the season and there were several horrendous calls I would have been the first one screaming along with you guys, but we're 2-0 and there's nothing to really talk about there.

Imagine if you were a Detroit fan, coming off a record worst year, and you complete a last second touchdown only to have it ruled not a catch because of a technicality. Detroit fans should still be screaming over that week 1 call, but we have absolutely nothing to complain about just yet. =)

Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.

MerauderMerauderNew Member
Sep 20, 2010, 03:45 PM

I know, but I'm just saying. I'm happy we won the game. Not trying to be negative but those calls ALMOST ended up costing us the game. Think about it.

PandarillaPandarillaForum Veteran
Sep 20, 2010, 04:07 PM

Yeah, the fix was on in the second half. I liked how we kept competing and moved on swiftly.

BuckeyeKingBuckeyeKingNew Member
Sep 20, 2010, 04:12 PM

"Merauder wrote:

Others have probably brought this up already but did anyone else think that Allen int should have been a touchback? His butt came down on the line. I thought we got screwed on that. Also, the 4th and inches where we clearly stopped the Vikings but they gave them the first down anyway. That had to have been one of the biggest bs calls I have ever seen. It was obvious that he was stopped. Wasn't even close.

I'm sorry but most of you Dolphin fans need to stop crying about this call. The play before Peterson PICKED up the first down but the refs gave him a bad spot. Take the blinders off.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Sep 20, 2010, 04:18 PM

"BuckeyeKing wrote:

I'm sorry but most of you Dolphin fans need to stop crying about this call. The play before Peterson PICKED up the first down but the refs gave him a bad spot. Take the blinders off.

What you said was true, however doesn't make up for the fact that the 2nd call was blown.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

HardKoreXXXHardKoreXXXNew Member
Sep 20, 2010, 04:24 PM

"BuckeyeKing wrote:

I'm sorry but most of you Dolphin fans need to stop crying about this call. The play before Peterson PICKED up the first down but the refs gave him a bad spot. Take the blinders off.

I'll have to look at that 3rd down play again. In live-action I thought he was short. His knee looked to be down before the ball got to the first down yardage.

@BaseyCrock

"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"

BuckeyeKingBuckeyeKingNew Member
Sep 20, 2010, 04:49 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

What you said was true, however doesn't make up for the fact that the 2nd call was blown.

To me they off-set no reason to get upset about it.

MikeHonchoMikeHonchoSupporter
Sep 20, 2010, 04:52 PM

OT: The second spot that AP got to keep the drive alive was pretty generous IMO. Probably a makeup call for the earlier spot.

Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Sep 20, 2010, 04:59 PM

"BuckeyeKing wrote:

To me they off-set no reason to get upset about it.

To me, they do not. There are no room for make up calls in the NFL

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

MikeHonchoMikeHonchoSupporter
Sep 20, 2010, 05:03 PM

"BuckeyeKing wrote:

I'm sorry but most of you Dolphin fans need to stop crying about this call. The play before Peterson PICKED up the first down but the refs gave him a bad spot. Take the blinders off.

Yeah, two wrongs make a right... hell, make that 4, why not 6...88?

No biggie, they'll offset right?

Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.

ADAdamC13New Member
Sep 20, 2010, 05:26 PM

I also learned that when a punter is in the air fully exposed and a player from the home team, if they have a QB named Favre, are allowed to plow into the punter and it will only be called running into the punter and not result in a 1st down instead of roughing the kicker resulting in one.

Not quite sure what exactly would need to happen for it to be roughing the kicker...decapitation, dismemberment, death?

MikeHonchoMikeHonchoSupporter
Sep 20, 2010, 05:28 PM

"AdamC13 wrote:

I also learned that when a punter is in the air fully exposed and a player from the home team, if they have a QB named Favre, are allowed to plow into the punter and it will only be called running into the punter and not result in a 1st down instead of roughing the kicker resulting in one.

Not quite sure what exactly would need to happen for it to be roughing the kicker...decapitation, dismemberment, death?

Dude yeah, I couldn't believe what my eyes had witnessed so I guess my brain shut that out as a memory. Can't believe it was real. What a joke.

Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.

54Fins54FinsForum Veteran
Sep 20, 2010, 05:29 PM

i thought his momentum carried his arse into the endzone.
enough for me to think it was a TB.

54Fins54FinsForum Veteran
Sep 20, 2010, 05:31 PM

"BuckeyeKing wrote:

To me they off-set no reason to get upset about it.

I never agreed that a personal foul should offset a holding call for example.rule change! :lol:

rafaelrafaelForum Veteran
Sep 20, 2010, 05:54 PM

IMO the call on the 4 and 1 was poor, but the call on the INT was correct. The rule interpretation changed a couple of years back so that when he's tackled immediately they now base it on when the second foot comes down and consider the rest momentum. There were certainly calls I disagreed with but not so much that I thought it was egregiously one-sided.

JMORGAN6977JMORGAN6977New Member
Sep 20, 2010, 05:57 PM

"Merauder wrote:

I just saw the replay a hundred times. His butt comes down first and when that happens the ball is on the goaline. It at least deserved a review I think. That ****ty field position ended up being HUGE. There is nothing to say about the 4th and inches call. We got screwed. Plain and simple.

Technically if you check it out, the ball can break the plane of the endzone and count for a td but in a touchback situation, you have to actually step on the line or in the endzone. I remember this discussion in a game before.

Case in point on punts the ball and the player can break the plane but as long as they do not touch the ground and bat the back into the field of play, it is not a touch back.

BuckeyeKingBuckeyeKingNew Member
Sep 20, 2010, 06:00 PM

You also forget on our drive where we threw it on 3rd down the Refs called a bogus Defensive holding on Greenway when Henne was already sliding down.

Jt0323Jt0323Staff
Sep 20, 2010, 06:02 PM

when it was 4th and inches, before the goal line stop, it looked like we stopped AP there...

texanphinatictexanphinaticForum Veteran
Sep 20, 2010, 06:22 PM

Yeah not to many mentioning that Greenway penalty, that was someone smoking there. Overall the only really bad call I think that could have hurt us was that fourth down call - he was clearly short. As Buckeye said though, I can't believe it actually came to that, I thought he was well past the first down marker on third. Two bad calls dont make a right, but hell we won so whatevs!

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Sep 20, 2010, 06:28 PM

"BuckeyeKing wrote:

You also forget on our drive where we threw it on 3rd down the Refs called a bogus Defensive holding on Greenway when Henne was already sliding down.

you are right, they should have called him for spearing.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

BuckeyeKingBuckeyeKingNew Member
Sep 20, 2010, 07:54 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

you are right, they should have called him for spearing.

I must have missed that is there a video of this that I could see? Pretty sure Greenway was out in coverage.