1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jarvis Landry maybe a Project??

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan40, May 15, 2014.

1. dolfan40

dolfan40 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2013
    Germany
    The Miami Herald believes second-round pick Jarvis Landry will have to show special teams value to be active on game days in 2014. In other words, the Herald doesn't consider Landry one of the Dolphins' top three wide receivers, and is penciling in Brandon Gibson as a Week 1*contributor despite his 2013 patellar tendon tear. We're a little more optimist about Landry's outlook, and more skeptical about Gibson's. It would not be surprising if Landry overtook Gibson as the Fins' top slot receiver during his rookie yea

2. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Its only cause we have a good, veteran, wr corp. Landry was kind of a luxury pick. Certainly didn't "need" him. But imo, that's good. If lazor can bring a similar style offense to Miami that philly runs, we need a lot of quality wrs

3. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    He's not a project, he was a reach though. I would have rather added a receiver with some size and leaping ability, something we haven't had since we foolishly traded away Brandon Marshall. that type of WR would have a better chance of getting on the field and making an impact

UCF FINatic likes this.
  4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Kids a football player he'll find a way to make his impact, and there are enough weaknesses in the receiver unit overall where I can see him gettin more play then some silly newspaper reporter thinks.. doesn't look like a project to me, not when you have exceptional hands like that, good route running ability, and lots of intangibles..

DPlus47, Da 'Fins, EverFin and 3 others like this.
  5. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Jarvis Landry is something special. You will eat your words... but, what else is new? :lol:

6. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    def the first time I've seen anyone anywhere call Landry a reach. Complete nonsense.

7. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I don't think this was any kind of surprise statement by them. The Fins as much as said that about him when he was drafted. Unless he really jumps off the carpet in TC, I thought all along that he'd be our #4 WR and backup in case Gibson missed any time... He'd have to really jump over Gibson to supplant him, given a) he's a rookie WR, typically a difficult transition for college players b) we have Gibson as our slot/all around guy and he's pretty good at that, at least he was before the injury last year and c) this staff is somewhat resistant to starting young/rookie players as it is...Philbin always 'errs' to the side of the veteran player...

Da 'Fins likes this.
  8. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Right. Had we drafted what you're describing, you'd have said "I would have rather have a receiver who doesn't drop passes."

9. ILDolPhan

ILDolPhan New Member

Apr 9, 2013
    If Miami likes what they see from Landry in training camp, then I could see Gibson as a potential cut with his salary and recent injury. Landry would add a physical element and mindset that the offense doesn't have. He'll end up being a fan favorite early on with his style of play.

Even though Landry ran a 4.7 something at the combine, he still got open and made a ton of plays in college. Plus, it's not like Gibson plays similar to a sub 4.7 guy on the field.

10. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    He ran 4.58 and 4.51 at his pro day, 30.5" vertical. Still not great, but a lot better than 4.77.

ILDolPhan likes this.
  11. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Huh? Go read the draft threads where people said we could have traded down and still nabbed Landry. That's arguing he was a reach

12. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    He pulled is hamstring running his 40 at the combine.

ILDolPhan likes this.
  13. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hmm, not a fan of a 2nd rd pick and ST/inactive being used to describe his role.

Do see a need for quality Wr depth, recall when Gibson went down and Hartline went down, the wheels came off of the offense, still did not see the need with Matthews developing

14. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I think his selection is more of a "big picture" move. I mean, do we really think Mike Wallace lasts much longer than this season? Same goes for Hartline, and maybe one of Matthews/Gibson.

15. 13Machine8385

13Machine8385 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 2, 2014
    I agree with the last part but the first sentence was a reach.

16. 13Machine8385

Mar 2, 2014
    Allen Robinson would have been nice. Missed him by 2 trade downs and only 2 slots before our pick.

17. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Probably way too early to speculate about his playing time. Let's hope he can contribute in 2014. Because one of the biggest reasons the Dolphins have been so mediocre over the past several years is the fact that so few 2nd and 3rd round picks have been able to make a positive impact.

18. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I don't know if I see special, but he just may be one of those guys who has a high football iq, I'm not sure I know where his ceiling is, athletically I don't think it's special, separation isn't special, but he may just have that ability to outsmart the other guy and make the great catches in clutch situations.. I had him as a third round pick.

19. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Davone Bess, minus the crazy.

20. 13Machine8385

Mar 2, 2014
    Landry will be fine. Wouldn't be surprised to see him as the #3 fairly early in the season. He's a better version of those other guys.

He wasn't one of the guys I was looking to draft, but now that he's here he will be one of our favorite players IMO. His style of play will be a great addition to the team and what he doesn't have in skill, he will make up for it in heart ten fold.

I like him. He's our guy now.

Xeticus likes this.
  21. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    LB's posts are the internet equivalent of someone walking up to a crowd of people in mid-conversation and farting loudly.

22. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Yes, i do, Bline and Wallace, not so much Gibson, as Matthews is up and coming.

And tbh, this is one of the things about "coach Joe" I'm not a fan of, this is the NFL, there are no "redshirt" seasons, the FA clock is always ticking, you need production from that resource ASAP

23. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Gibson ran a 4.59 at his pro day the year he was in the draft.

24. MrClean

What's the source of those times? NFL Draft Scout has the following as his pro day results:

Dates: 04/09/14
    Height: 5114
    Weight: 205
    40 Yrd Dash: 4.61
    20 Yrd Dash: 2.69
    10 Yrd Dash: 1.58
    Vertical Jump: 31 1/2
    Broad Jump: 09'05"
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.59
    3-Cone Drill: 7.56

ckparrothead likes this.
  25. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    http://www.shreveporttimes.com/arti...arvis-Landry-improves-his-40-time-LSU-Pro-Day

http://theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/8863310-123/jarvis-landry-makes-up-for

26. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    When did Philibin say that? I see a herald report with no link.
    Gonna be one helluva WR competition this summer.

27. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Should have posted the link then because I can't find it now. As Alex showed there are clearly a number of places citing sub 4.6.

28. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Landry looks like a ST contributor who might see some snaps as a backup, I think it's unrealistic to expect any more than that this season.

29. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I highly disagree. While he may not have the "ceiling" people like to speak of, IMO there wasnt a more pro ready WR in this draft aside from Watkins.

DPlus47, MrClean and smahtaz like this.
  30. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

You can't teach what this kid has put on tape.

31. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    If Jarvis Landry doesn't contribute next year I'd be shocked. You can argue about his ceiling, but he's as NFL ready as it gets at the WR position. He's an excellent route runner, has fantastic hands, and works hard. He will probably play special teams, but that's because he's good at it. Anyone that thinks he's a project either didn't watch him very much or doesn't know what they're talking about. In the Herald's case, probably both.

32. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I actually don't think any of the WRs in the draft would start for us this season, except Watkins. It's not a knock on Landry it's about the guys he will have to beat out and the past history of rookies playing under Philbin.

Hartline and Wallace are the starters, Gibson played well as the 3, Matthews was decent filling in, Binns is due back, Williams was just signed, we also drafted another WR who will compete. It's a very crowded unit and Landry will be lucky to see the field as a WR this year, JMO.

33. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I watched him play a bunch so I guess I just don't know what I'm talking about ;)

Again, we have some decent vets at WR and no one is going to step aside and allow Landry to take food off their plate.

34. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Yeah but I'm hoping better of course.

35. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Assuming they're all healthy and physically in shape to play... I've said it before and I'll say it again, the ligament injuries scare me. Hartline didn't even have surgery for his tear, just rehab. As for Gibson, he's coming off a major knee injury and he could easily be cut without major salary cap ramifications. Given that Matthews played well in his stead, he might be the odd man out.

There's a lot of moving parts in this WR core and it could shake out a few different ways. Outside of Wallace and maybe Hartline, no one is safe.

36. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    I can't argue with this one way or the other. Don't know if he dislikes playing rookies or if our rookies were too hurt to play much or earn their spot on the field. I do feel like Landry is as ready to play as any other rookies out there. He'll never be really scary to a D but I think he has everything he needs to be a started in the NFL.

37. MrClean

The two links do not even seem to agree with each other. NFLDS and nfl.com both have him at 4.77 at the combine, which The Advocate link agrees with. The Shreveport Times link says 4.65 at the combine and 4.51 at the pro day, and since they have a different combine time than the 3 other sources, IMO they'd be the least likely to be right about the pro day. The Tommy Moffitt 4.58 times were apparently handheld and the NFLDS time of 4.61 could either be electronic or someone else's handheld time. I'm guessing Landry when healthy runs between 4.58 and 4.61 which is very similar to Gibson's forty time which doesn't seem to hamper his ability to get open.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  38. MrClean

While Landry isn't as fast as the other top WRs, his routes appear as crisp and well executed as any WR in this draft, and his hands are impeccable. I see no reason to not expect him to be as ready as any rookie WR this year. How much he plays will likely depend on the health of those ahead of him, but if he does get the chance, I expect we'll be quite pleased

smahtaz, sports24/7 and EverFin like this.
  39. MrClean

The past history indicates when there is a need, and the rookies are healthy that Philbin has no qualms about playing them.

gafinfan and mroz like this.
  40. MrClean

If he dislikes playing rookies, how do we explain 2012 with Martin, 1053 offensive snaps, Tannehill, 1001 offensive snaps, Vernon, 445 defensive snaps? Vernon was a 4 core special teamer so has all those snaps to add on too.

smahtaz, VManis and gafinfan like this.