1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

James Walker thoughts on McShays first Mock Draft pick for dolphins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dol-Fan Dupree, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/52192/thoughts-on-mcshays-first-mock-draft

I think a DE would be a good choice if he is a good pass rusher. Having two pass rushers would really help Miami's cornerbacks and safeties. Plus I would rather have Jared Odrick on the inside.

What do you think?

Paul 13, gunn34 and Boik14 like this.
  2. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'm certainly not against adding a pass-rusher. I'm not sure Dion Jordan is the guy I'd add though.

ToddPhin, Boik14 and Bpk like this.
  3. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    DE would be a great choice, i don't know where this "analyst" comes out saying it would be a "bone-headed" move to draft pass rusher.

Bpk likes this.
  4. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Its no secret to beat brady you have to rush the passer.Ask the giants.Anybody have any insight on this guy?

unluckyluciano and Bpk like this.
  5. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    He's really athletic and tall, he's being compared to Jason Pierre-Paul. Oregon doesn't use him as much as they should rushing the passer and I think he drops into coverage a little much. He's supposed to have huge upside.

That's what I've heard about him.

CK or Phinsational could probably go into more depth about him.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  6. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I disagree with this assessment. Were picking 12th so BPA is subjective.

Bpk likes this.
  7. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Except when it affects balance to a degree that is unhealthy..

8. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Go for value....BPA.

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  9. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    And once again James Walker shows how little he knows about football. The Dolphins need another pass rusher almost as much as they need a WR and this draft is stacked with big time pass rushers in the 1st round. On the other hand, the WR crop is fairly unspectacular. You will most likely be reaching if you take a WR and all of them have question marks and none of them are elite prospects. IMO the Dolphins should draft a WR or 2 later on in the draft, but if you want to give immediate help to Tannehill you're going to have to spend money in the FA market where there will be no shortage of talent at WR and TE. Most likely the best value the Dolphins will get with their pick is a pass rusher based on the fact that it's probably the strength of the draft.

Paul 13 and Bpk like this.
  10. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

You're right Dupree. And James Walker is wrong. I won't to be too hard on him because its the sort of superficial conclusion you'd come to if you don't spend hundreds of hour watching discussing and analyzing Dolpjins football like we do.

Odrick is being wasted at DE with little pass rush impact. Ditto Vernon who is a far better LB than DE imo.

A great rush end makes our line dominant like the Giants lines that beat Brady four times in a row.

It also makes all the CBs and Safeties look better.

So McShay is not crazy for thinking a DE would be a good pickup. The thing is, this draft has a half dozen good pass rushers... So I'd like to see us package some picks and get up into the late 1st to get one there.

11. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    That dude is 6'7". That is crazy. Makes me wonder if he could survive the NFL. So very lanky for a defensive lineman. If he can, that is one hell of a wingspan to throw over.

Bpk likes this.
  12. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

What if its at Center, or OT, or a possession receiver, or nose tackle.

Knowwhatimsayin?

:)

djphinfan likes this.
  13. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    DE makes sense. Not only to help the secondary and bring a consistent pass rush...but also to account for the eventuality that Cameron Wake's skills will erode. Sure he doesn't have a lot of wear and tear but he relies on his physicality and he'll be in his 30's. That drop off can hit fast.

Then you can go heavy on offense in the 2nd/3rd.

If were going to add a CB I'd do it in FA.

14. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

For the JPP there's also a Gholston. Upside means you haven't done it. I'd love a JPP or Aldon Smith but I'm skeptical of the "physical freak" college DE.

15. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Watt is 6'6" though.

16. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    you also must learn to catch footballs with your helmet.

alen1 and finfansince72 like this.
  17. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Many find him to be a top player but I have concerns about his ability to flatten the edge.

ToddPhin and unluckyluciano like this.
  18. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Different build. He's no JPP or Smith either.

Bpk likes this.
  19. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    The thing is WR is pretty weak for 1st round talent. Compare it to the DE class and it should be a no brainer Keenan Allen might be the best WR but I'd rather have a DE from this years class.

20. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Fortunately, in the name of Quinton Patton, good WRs come outside the first too.

Bpk and unluckyluciano like this.
  21. invid

Dec 9, 2012
  22. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    ToddPhin, ssmiami, The Rev and 3 others like this.
  23. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    alen1, Boik14 and Aqua4Ever04 like this.
  24. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I believe there is one player that we have the chance to aquire that has the potential to give this franchise the identity it desperately needs..

T'eo.

I think we need to study this player from head to toe, and absolutely prioritize the intangibles that this young man could bring to a team and city like ours..

25. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Well if its Ireland picking I have complete faith that its the best player available at that spot.......

26. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    On one hand you can NEVER have too many pass rushers. No QB can throw from his backside. On the other hand we need receivers like a crackhead needs a fix. We havent had great receivers here since the Marks brothers. We need to sign one from Bowe/Jennings/Wallace and draft one early (within the first two rounds). Keenan Allen has to be a serious consideration if hes still on the board (which I dont know if he was since I dont have insider).

Bpk likes this.
  27. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    He plays for Notre Dame. So he's also not the far (playing for Indiana) from being a complete nobody. I've seen countless LBs better than him not get a sniff of a Heisman or anything close to the recognition. I mean, is he better than Rolando McClain, Brandon Spikes, Luke Keuchly, DJ Williams, Jon Beason?

Lemme guess, he'll be taken later than expected and everyone will talk about how much of a steal he was.

28. oakelmpine

oakelmpine New Member

Oct 16, 2012
    have you seen our offense ? If Ireland goes defense in the 1st round that will be it for many Dolphin fans. With his already saying we're not going after a WR in free agency, it means they are looking to the draft. Last year he waited until the 6th round to pick one. They have to be thinking offense with that pick and not an OLineman, but a skill player.

29. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Id prefer Wallace or Bowe over Jennings and Allen or Cordarrelle Patterson/Justin Hunter over Patton but yeah generally speaking I think we're on the same page.

Bpk likes this.
  30. oakelmpine

oakelmpine New Member

Oct 16, 2012
    To beat Brady you also need to score points. Scoring less than 18 a game isn't going to beat Brady anytime soon.

31. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I'm not sure if folks now how good Greg Jennings is..

Bpk likes this.
  32. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Many Dolphin fans are total idiots. Smart people in real life, so no disrespect to anyone, but unaware that their intelligence doesn't extend into the nuances of drafting, or football in general for that matter. Drafts aren't planned based on who needs what where at this or that position. Players are ranked according to how good of a prospect they are and how likely they are to be good players over the first several years of their career. Only an idiot, soon to be fired GM would focus his draft strategy on who's already on the team (or what fans want). Meanwhile the non-idiot GMs will be drafting based on what is available in the current year's draft, who are the best players available at the various positions and how best to improve the team over the next several years.

So it's entirely possible that Irish wont take a WR in the first round, especially if there isn't one he deems worthy of a top 10-12 pick. If there's a quality pass rusher, CB, OL, LB, etc with Pro Bowl potential he'd be a fool to take a lesser prospect over them.

Paul 13 and ToddPhin like this.
  33. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    The question is, how good will he be over the next 4-6 years. Because that's how long he's gonna want to get paid based on what he's done so far.

Alex13 and ToddPhin like this.
  34. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Hes very good but hes frequently injured with hamstrings and knees. Makes me question his long term durability and whether he will be here by the time we are good again. Wallace is my first choice cause hes younger and his speed is a legitimate rare weapon. Bowe or Jennings are a fine consolation prize

Bpk and The Rev like this.
  35. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I don't see that length panning out one way or the other, I'll take 29 to 32... The new prime age in pro athletes careers...

Of course were talking healthy here, but every player who has longevity doesn't get thru it without having a few years of injuries in there, unless your a freak.

I think he is a great football player..if we have a chance to add that combined with his familiarity with our coach and statement, I think your setting up your young Qb with a better variables.

36. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    I really wouldn't get your hopes with up when it comes to a free agency wide receiver. If we get one of these guys you are all mentioning, then that's cool, but don't go slitting your throats when it doesn't happen.

I don't like Quinton Patton as much as the other draft-eligible receivers either. I like him past the 2nd round, but not as a 2nd round selection. There's a lot that can change obviously from right now to the actual combine but I believe the Dolphins will take serious consideration of these prospects:

Chance Warmack, Guard, Alabama
    Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State
    Dion Lewis, DE, Oregon
    Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
    Jake Matthews, OT, TAMU

IF THEY FALL TO US:
    Manti Te'o, ILB, Notre Dame
    Demarcus Milliner, CB, Alabama
    Damontre Moore, DE, TAMU (this is definitely not gonna happen, he might even go back to school)

I think the only one that could realistically fall to us is Te'o, and I even find that highly unlikely. It would be a BPA pick for sure if that happened. I also don't think Jeffy will trade back out of the slot we will be in at the time of the draft, as there will still be some fairly good caliber prospects in the range we are picking. HOWEVER, I think there is a good chance that Ireland might trade back into the first round if the price is right using, possibly, one of our post-second round picks (probably a little more). Now you're looking at a Tyler Eifert or maybe a Xavier Rhodes.

At this point I'm conveying what I would do onto what Jeff Ireland would do, which is pretty much useless, because I don't think anyone knows what he's going to do.

Bpk likes this.
  37. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    To be honest, I haven't been surprised by any of his first round draft picks.

The closest was Jared Odrick, however the more I thought about it, the more I shouldn't have been. In the last two, a month before the draft most mock drafts had the Dolphins pick right.

38. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    What do you think he'll do this year? I know its really early.

39. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Like it was yesterday, he planted that right foot on that slant, didnt lose a stitch a speed in doing so, and he gone, leaving VD in a futile chase questioning his own speed along the way.

40. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I believe we need to include Misi into the equation when discussing the value of this particular decision..it was pretty much two for one, and Misi is emerging.

Bpk and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.