1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

James Gandolfini dead at 51

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by finyank13, Jun 19, 2013.

1. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Justright likes this.
  2. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Mother. ****er.

finyank13 likes this.
  3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Most will remember him as "Tony Soprano" what I really recall about him is on 9/11 he was on a bike in downtown NYC talking to a cop that day.

Sethdaddy8 and finyank13 like this.
  4. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Wait, is he Morgan Freeman dead, or Whitney Houston dead?

5. Colorado Dolfan

Colorado Dolfan ...dirty drownin' man?

Whitney. He's gone, mang...

6. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    yeah, my wife just told me... ****

7. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    The good die young. RIP.

8. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    [​IMG]

9. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Am I the only one not shocked by this? He was MY age, and looked 15 years older. He was fat, and did drugs. The only surprise is that his heart didn't give out sooner.

I know I'll be in the vast minority here but sorry, no sympathy. The man left behind a 13 year old and an 8 MONTH old. You're that age and have kids like that, get your **** together and take care of yourself.

finyank13, SICK and Stitches like this.
  10. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I get what you are saying. They say he was losing weight and gaining it back and forth....

What sucks for Gandolfini is that I am sure his roles called for him to be bigger. Kind of a victim of circumstance for that lifestyle.....There is no movie market for a skinny in shape Gandofini....

Sethdaddy8 and Pagan like this.
  11. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    There's lots of people your age who do that and are wastes of space and most likely living off my tax dollars. They'll likely live to be 90 while contributing nothing to society.

Difference is that this guy was a great actor and the world will miss his work.

12. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

RIP

13. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I mourn this for selfish reasons. I mourn for anything he could have done in the future.

14. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    Too much Gabagool.

[video=youtube;w08YyikFm-8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w08YyikFm-8[/video]

finyank13, Fin D and padre31 like this.
  15. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    That's great and all warm and fuzzy and all, but you miss the point I was making entirely. What I was saying was no one should be surprised by his death. His own friends said he ate the worst foods excessively and with his weight and past drug history, this should come as no shock to anyone.

There are also people in our military who died in Afghanistan recently, and no one makes a big deal out of their passing. Like I said, I KNOW I'm in the minority, but I'm not going to mourn someone for being good at pretending to be someone else, especially when their death could have been avoided by not being a ****ing gavone and taking care of themselves.

finyank13 likes this.
  16. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Did I say I was surprised? No. I said I give some sympathy bc he was extremely talented and contributed a lot.

There are people in our military who died in Afghanistan and that's supposed to be a surprise? Soldiers die, that's a part of war.

lol Pretending to be someone else. He was a great actor who people across the world enjoyed. He also did a lot for charity organizations and especially the soldiers you speak of.

17. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    We're not seeing eye to eye bro, leave it at that. All I see is a man with two young children who are now fatherless because he didn't take care of himself. His death was completely, totally avoidable if he had used an ounce of self-control.

End of story for me.

And I didn't say those in the military that die are a surprise. I pointed out that you don't hear about them. No one is mourning them but their families. It's just annoying that their passing is ignored while an (fill in the blank: actor, musician, sports star, etc.) is lavished with praise.

I also don't know what you found so funny. What is acting but pretending to be someone you're not? Isn't that the heart of the job? ;)

18. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Not always avoidable, there are heart defects that even outwardly healthy appearing people have the wind up killing them even when they are in great shape.

This happened to my cousin, 37, not an ounce of fat on him, didn't smoke didn't drink.

Heart aneurysm, he was dead in 2 minutes. When it is your time to go that's it.

finyank13 likes this.
  19. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Yes, I know that. But read what I said. Overweight, drug use, eating like a slob. Make an attempt at least, THEN if you die you can say it was just your time. Sorry, don't think it was "just his time" in this instance.

20. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Not so much, if it were a congenital defect in his heart it wouldn't matter about the drugs and weight etc, most people who have that defect do not even know it, even then it wouldn't matter as unless it is repaired it will blow out sooner or later.

Sort of like a engine with a spun bearing, or broken ring, sooner or later the motor will blow out and seize up.

21. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    So then what you're saying is **** it, why bother eating right, staying in shape or taking care of yourself? I get what you're saying bro, but you can't ignore the fact that he did everything wrong for his health, even if his heart condition was genetic.

22. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Why would you expect to hear more about a soldier dying than someone who was known internationally? And you seem to think that the military should be lavished with praise more so than when other people die. Can't say I agree with that either. In WWI or WWII sure, but these days it's nowhere near the same thing. It's a job that they signed up for knowing full well what the consequences could be.

Not really. If that was the case then pretty much everyone on the planet would be considered an actor on a daily basis.

You kind of side-stepped what Padre said. His whole point was that you don't know if this was completely avoidable without knowing the facts about his heart and what if any kinds of defects he had. So right now you saying that is incorrect.

23. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Sort of, am saying even if he had not done those things, his heart still was going to blowout if it was a congenital defect. It's sort of a ticking time bomb in your chest.

24. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    And in your eyes that makes them less worthy of praise than an actor? Dude, we part ways on that aspect of this discussion right there.

Maybe, but we're not getting paid millions for it.

Sorry man, I come from the mindset that people who patrol our streets protecting us from crime, rush into buildings that are on fire, spend years away from their loved ones overseas fighting, perform operations and save lives, or shape the minds of the youth of this country are far more important and deserving of pay AND praise than someone who gets millions to entertain.

No, I didn't sidestep it. I agreed that it is a possibility. I'm just using logic in the case. If I'm proven wrong I'll admit it, but if he DID have defects in his heart I'm quite sure he knew about them unless his doctors were complete morons. And if that is the case than it's even more stupid that he lived as recklessly as he did.

Again, yes...if it's genetic no matter what you do it will only prolong the inevitable. What you AND Padre are sidestepping is that if it was genetic, you do whatever you can TO prolong it so that an 8 month old infant at least gets a ****ing MEMORY of its father, ya know?

finyank13 likes this.
  25. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, you have to have an MRI that is looking explicitly for such defects b/c it boils down to weak vein walls on the arteries that run into the heart, a "normal" physical will not detect the condition.

Not saying being grossly obese, doing lines of coke and eating a bad diet is a good thing, or won't contribute to a bad health condition, am saying such a congenital defect is unknown to most people who have it.

Like the potential draftees who discover that they have a rare neck condition that could lead to paralysis if they continued to play, it is only discovered at the combine process. This after years of physicals before being allowed to play football.

slickj101 likes this.
  26. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Uh definitely didn't say they were any less worthy of praise. Just said I wouldn't expect to hear as much about each individual.

Wow huge blanket statement there. We were talking about the military so I guess you need to throw in the rest to try to make your point. I'm nowhere near the mindset that those troops overseas are fighting for our freedom, so if that's your next statement I'll save you some time. I think that's the biggest line of bull**** in recent history. The only troops that I feel bad for are the ones who were pretty much forced into enlisting bc of a lack of job opportunity after hs.

Like I said, then right now you're incorrect saying he could of prevented it. There's plenty of people w heart issues that go undetected until it's too late.

27. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Seemed that way when you said they knew what they were getting into.

Almost as huge as your statement saying almost everyone pretends to be someone else, no? ;)

No, not going to say they're fighting for freedom. WHY they're there isn't the issue. THAT they are is. We both seem to be missing each other's points. I think it's pretty safe to say that most of the young people in the military are in the position you stated. I don't know of too many people giving up good paying jobs to leave their families and head overseas.

Like I said, just tired of the hero worship for those who don't deserve it while those who do don't get it. Even Gandolfini himself agreed with that, otherwise he wouldn't have made those documentaries bringing them into the spotlight.

Um...what part of the word "prolong" didn't register? Throw the undetected heart conditions out the window for a second and use...oh I don't know...logic maybe? What part of his lifestyle was geared towards longevity? I don't buy the "it'll happen anyway" bull****. Even if you DON'T know you have a heart condition, as I said in my last post at least TRY to not make yourself a heart attack waiting to happen and more than likely you'll get more time than you would have. The notion that if it's genetic there's nothing you can do so why bother doesn't sit well with me. Might just be one of the reasons we have so many fat ****s in this country.

Somehow I just don't buy the notion that being smart and not reducing the viscosity of your blood to maple syrup levels and overworking a heart that may or may not be doomed anyway won't add at least a FEW more years to your life, undetected heart condition or not.

28. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    lol Man you just sound angry that people are sad that a fat person died.

I give fat people a hard time myself but I don't understand why you'd get upset that people are sad to see someone as talented as Gandolfini pass.

29. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Actually I'm not mad at all. I'm (if it proves that he DID die because of his own actions) disgusted that a great career, life, and family were ****ed over because of self-indulgence. As a performer, seeing people who are given opportunities that countless others would KILL for and then doing things stupidly and throwing it away doesn't make me mad, it makes me sick...and that goes for my own profession as well as any others in the arts.

That and the fact that even though I'm in the entertainment business myself, I don't think entertainers should be worshiped the way they are.

30. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Agree with the last part, it's semi bizarre to me (but I know why) that people in that biz are objectified by people.

If say Raul Perez the truck driver dies in Cleveland, would there even be a thread?

31. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Fair enough but he absolutely deserved every opportunity he got. I think it was actually unfortunate he got limited roles after The Sopranos bc he was so type-cast.

32. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    He was great in 8mm.
    Solid points Pagan as usage.

33. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Of course their wouldn't be. But Raul Perez didn't effect millions of lives.

34. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Soldiers during the World Wars didn't know they might die? Next time you see a servicemember be sure to tell them that their willingness to possibly die on behalf of the country isn't worthy of much of your praise anymore. Would slave soldiers be more worthy of praise in your world? You know since it wouldn't be a job they signed up for?

Maybe it was just his time but I agree that with him raising children he needs to do everything possible that he can do to help extend the time. Laying off the drugs and controlling the weight could have helped him out quite a bit. It's a shame.

35. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Accounting for the draft. There is no draft now.

Sure, I'd have a lot more sympathy for someone forced in to a war than someone who willingly signed up to go to Iraq to fight for our oil, er freedom.

36. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Really? What if Raul the truck driver delivered food or medical supplies?

If the Sopranos never existed I doubt your life in any way, shape or form would be different, yet if food wasn't trucked in every day I tend to think it would have an effect.

Let's be realistic. Entertainers don't effect "millions of lives." They entertain. Unless the entertainer influences you to try what they do as a career, they're not "effecting" you. Your life wouldn't change one iota if they didn't exist.

padre31 likes this.
  37. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    I thought entertainment was an effect on our lives? If Raul delivered that stuff good for him, if he never existed there would be the next line of 10 million people that could drive trucks.

Simply put, entertainers, from sports to TV are paid big money for a reason. Because they reach millions of people and bring enjoyment and entertainment to people's lives. So yes they are on a pedestal, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I just want to clarify, that I'm not saying Raul's life is any less important then an entertainers, I'm simply saying its natural for people to react differently to death of those that have been in your life in some way shape or form. Which entertainers are.

38. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Forced.. OK. You think the heroes of WWII could have done the things they did unwillingly? What a joke. Sympathy? It is every able bodied man's job to answer that call if the situation were to become dire enough. They bravely and willingly answered the call whether already serving or conscripted and we'll not likely see another generation like them anytime soon. The WWII generation will forever deserve our awe, respect, and appreciation, they literally played a key role in saving the entire world. But they don't need your sympathy.

GTFO with blaming service members for W's ill advised invasion. They did their duty. The invasion was a mistake but it was not an illegal order they were following, it was approved by elected representatives in Congress. More and more people in today's generation think it's somebody's else's job to do the difficult things that have to be done in service of the nation. For that reason I still have a healthy level of respect for service members even if there are no Nazis for them to fight. And when I say 'difficult things' I mean more than just going to a war. It's not easy to work long hours for a fairly low salary. It's not easy to be forced to leave your hometown behind and move every three years or to leave family behind for weeks at a time for training.

finyank13 likes this.
  39. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    lol You think people didn't? Look at Vietnam.

You gtfo w saying I'm blaming the troops for the bull**** reasons they're there. I said I feel bad for the ones that had no other options so idk how you make that leap.

It's nobodies job to fight in bull**** wars. And if nobody did it we might be in a better place so who are you to judge?

40. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    All I am going to say is that not everybody in today's military signed up because of lesser opportunities in the civilian side, myself included. People looked at me like "what the hell" at the recruiters station. There are actually many people in the military who sign up from various different backgrounds. Sure the "unfortunates" exist but they are the minority, again you be surprised how many people do it and what they do sign up for.....

And I will say 100% none of them expect sympathy, praise, or anything else as well...all they expect is their medical is covered if and when they sustain injuries of any scope resulting during service.....The VA has been much better than in the past....

muscle979 likes this.