1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jake Long vs. Mario Williams

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by GARDENHEAD, Oct 8, 2008.

1. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I haven't been this excited for a LT/DE matchup since the days of Richmond Webb vs. Bruce Smith.

We'll learn a lot about Long's development as an LT on Sunday. My money's on Jake doing the job.

GISH likes this.
  2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Seeing as jake vacates the LT spot for the wildcat so often (;)) I'll be looking for him to win his matchup, as well.

3. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Actually Jake will make out better on third down as the Texans bring in #93 Tim Bulman in to rush the passer and swithc Williams back to LDE. Otherwise look for Jake to have issues initially, although I think we'll run a draw or two with Ricky (as he is much better at running that play than Ronnie) to slow them down a bit - the Colts ate him alive with that play. Mario lines up real wide, so Jake has to continue to keep his shoulder square to prevent the double move. Chnaces are it will be a draw more times than you might think.

Larryfinfan and alen1 like this.
  4. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Williams is a beast, I expect whoever is lined up on him to get some help.

Hes the only guy on the DL that worries me. Okoye is solid, but can easily be muscled off the LoS by a guy like Smiley, doubly so with a chip by Satele tossed in.

5. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    This should be a good measuring stick for Jake. He did a fine job against Castillo last week.

6. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    In terms of the run game, I'm not really worried. Long has abused 2-gap 3-4 DEs who have like 20-25 pounds on Williams, not really concerned about that. He's good vs. the run, but that's good for his size. He's not in the same league in that department against guys like Richard Seymour, John Henderson, etc. who Long has beat up on at times.

7. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico New Member

Jun 8, 2008
    As long as someone knocks the **** outta Travis Johnson I'll be happy.

fins4o8 and HugeFinFan like this.
  8. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    Like Conuficus said they like to move Williams around.If i was them i'd leave Williams at RDE all game.

Williams has 4 sacks this year and i've seen Jake give up 3 this year, but this is the 1st true 4-3 Jake will see this year and i think he'll play better because of that.

If we can get a lead, Jake could just end up ragdolling him all game.

9. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Long was a candidate for Rookie of the Week after this past game and on NFLN I think they said Jake hasn't given up one sack so far this season. I know he has given up 1 but can't find where they would show stats for an offensive lineman. I think that is the only way to find out how many he has given up so far.

10. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    Someone, somewhere knows for sure, but i've seen him give up 3 this year.

On passing downs i think Williams will have his way a lil with Jake but Jake will do the same to him on running plays.

11. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    you know those games where LT beats up on people for 5 tds? thats what this week will be for ronnie.

12. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

that was green that went down, right?

13. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    yeap, it was green that got knocked the **** out. :cry:

14. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Are you counting the play where Pennignton ran into the defender in the last game as a sack? Please tell me no.

15. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

The life of a first round draft pick...another week, another test...this one might be even stiffer than the last 4...But someone mentioned the draw plays to slow him down a bit, but Williams is a real beast, make no mistake about it...this same matchup in two years might be a lot different after Long has some experience under his belt...It's certainly a matchup I'll be watching though...