1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jake Long holds same promise as former Big Ten rival

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by ATVZ400, Apr 13, 2008.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    The Miami Dolphins' contract negotiations with former Michigan standout Jake Long create the distinct possibility of a tackle being selected with the first overall pick on April 26. If it happens it will be, in part, a reflection on the Dolphins' ability to work a better deal with Long than with other highly regarded prospects, such as defensive linemen Vernon Gholston and Chris Long.

But it also will speak plenty about the dominance Jake Long showed during his career at Michigan -- the sort of dominance that Joe Thomas, the third overall choice a year ago, displayed as a rookie left tackle for the Cleveland Browns.

good read
    rest of story
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/story;jses...0d5d807bdad0&template=with-video&confirm=true

Kanye West and brandon27 like this.
  2. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    nice read in deed. Jake's getting alot of good press and praise heading into this draft thats for sure. He's going to get himself a good contract and have a good, pro bowl career wherever he goes in my opinion.

3. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I think he can be just as good if not better than Thomas....Long has a nasty streak to him and he just bulldozes people out of the way.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  4. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I love Jake, hes a helluva prospect. The idea of another Robery Gallery is scary, but busts happen at every spot. If the brass think hes gonna rock some DE/LB/DT's socks, then I will be more than happy to have this destroyer on the team.

5. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    If Jake Long goes first, he should send a few hundred grand to Joe Thomas. The way that Thomas helped improved Cleveland makes bad teams think that they're a lineman away

Bpk likes this.
  6. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Should Chris Long send a few hundred to Strahan? The way he and Osi helped the Giants win the SB makes bad teams think they're a pass rusher away.

7. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Well we have one of the best DE in football history.....and only 2 lineman who even belong in the NFL....you do the math.

8. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Jake's not as agile as Thomas but what he lacks in that and the footwork department, he makes up for with his run-blocking. I bet if Parcells ever contacted former protege Crennel about the virtues of drafting an elite OT like Thomas or Jake Long, Crennel would have much to say.

9. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Except I've never heard a single person, not one, who pays their rent by working in football, say Jake was better than Joe Thomas NOR EVEN AS GOOD AS HIM.

There is a premium on pass blocking at left tackle (that's why LT is the most important spot on the line, isn't it? it's the QB's blind side on passing downs), so if jake's weakness is the emphasis for LT's I have to think it makes him less desirable than Thomas.

Not too many people would rather have Jake Long than Joe Thomas.

Now, would I rather have Jake Long at LT than Vernon Carey? Hmmm... maaaayyybe. If you draft Jake, move Vernon back to RT (where you pay him less than Jake), then move Satele to LG and have Smiley at RG you just need a decent rookie center and we have the foundation of a top notch line for the next ten years.

But is Jake worth the #1 pick? I'd rather be able to move down and take Jake at #3 or #4, and take Glenn Dorsey if we must go #1.

Bpk

10. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I'll hang my hat on what Parcells/Ireland/Sparano think about Jake, if they take him #1 then he's my man and I believe in him.

11. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I wouldn't consider it that striking of a weakness. Sparano got quality pass-blocking performance out of an aging creaky LT in Flozell and should do wonders with Jake Long, who I consider more mobile than Adams anyways. I'm guessing we'll be going with a more physical style of blocking and Long suits it to a T (no pun intended). Yea, I'd prefer Thomas for pass-blocking purposes only but I don't personally consider Long that far off. If Thomas compares to Walter Jones, Long compares to Jonathan Ogden in terms of style. I'm fine with that.

I'd rather move down and take Dorsey at #4, #5 than take him at #1. I consider from a needs, value, and production standpoint that Jake Long's more worthwhile at #1 than Dorsey. I'd be satisfied with a platoon of Ferguson/Starks/Soliai and wait to draft a cheaper and not much less talented run-stuffer NT next year who would no question be able to fit the 3-4.

12. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    Good read bro