Jaguars Remove Dez Bryant from their Draft Board

26 replies

KB21KB21SupporterOP
Apr 13, 2010, 10:56 AM

http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2010-04-13/story/jaguars-are-searching-right-catch-receiver

According to multiple NFL sources, the Jaguars eliminated Oklahoma State's Dez Bryant - widely regarded as the top receiver prospect in this year's draft class -from their draft board because of concerns about his character

"Not that we wouldn't , but I don't think there are any this year that's merited," Del Rio said. "It's not a great year for wide receiver, but there will be some guys in the mid rounds that have a shot."

Hopefully, the Dolphins will join the Jaguars and remove Dez Bryant from their draft board.

HardKoreXXXHardKoreXXXNew Member
Apr 13, 2010, 11:14 AM

Meh, I think this is more or less because the Jags have been burned by WR's in the first round over the past decade. Their track record isn't great, so it doesn't surprise me they're a little gun-shy on Bryant.

I'm still not 100% on what these "character concerns" are. Also, to flat-out say you're dropping a potential 1st rounder from your draft board is just plain dumb. I think Del Rio is blowing smoke.

@BaseyCrock

"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"

MrCleanMrCleanSupporter
Apr 13, 2010, 11:16 AM

"KB21 wrote:

http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2010-04-13/story/jaguars-are-searching-right-catch-receiver

Hopefully, the Dolphins will join the Jaguars and remove Dez Bryant from their draft board.

Well, if Miami does remove him, I hope they aren't as stupid as the Jags and let the world know about it. The Jags could have cost themselves a chance to trade down. Not likely, but still no reason to let that kind of info out, whether it is Dez, Mike Williams, or any other player.

“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”

― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Apr 13, 2010, 12:30 PM

"KB21 wrote:

http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2010-04-13/story/jaguars-are-searching-right-catch-receiver

Hopefully, the Dolphins will join the Jaguars and remove Dez Bryant from their draft board.

Can you explain to me why he is such a cancer? OSU issued denials that he was constantly late to practice.

Everything this kid does wrong is constantly overblown. No wonder he wants to prove the doubters wrong.

Give him coaches that can guide him and he will be an elite WR. Preferably for the Dolphins.

MonstBlitz;2232016 wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me if he is retained. Jeff Ireland is the nightmare that won't end. The **** stain you cannot flush. The Herpes for which there is no cure.

KB21KB21Supporter
Apr 13, 2010, 12:35 PM

"Frumundah Finnatic wrote:

Can you explain to me why he is such a cancer? OSU issued denials that he was constantly late to practice.

Everything this kid does wrong is constantly overblown. No wonder he wants to prove the doubters wrong.

Give him coaches that can guide him and he will be an elite WR. Preferably for the Dolphins.

Dez is a player that you are going to have to hire a baby sitter just to get him to practice and team meetings on time. He has surrounded himself with questionable people like Pac Man Jones. He is consistently irresponsible with his decision making. He is a guaranteed hold out considering the agent he hired. And when the chips are down, this is a guy that I can see complaining about not getting the ball enough and not playing hard when he doesn't get the ball.

rafaelrafaelForum Veteran
Apr 13, 2010, 12:39 PM

That's good news. I hope Denver follows suit and leaves him available for Miami.

rafaelrafaelForum Veteran
Apr 13, 2010, 12:44 PM

"Frumundah Finnatic wrote:

Can you explain to me why he is such a cancer? OSU issued denials that he was constantly late to practice.

Everything this kid does wrong is constantly overblown. No wonder he wants to prove the doubters wrong.

Give him coaches that can guide him and he will be an elite WR. Preferably for the Dolphins.

He's never been a cancer or a complainer. He's never bad mouthed his team mates or his coach. And there isn't any report that he has ever surrounded himself with Pacman types. They workout at the same workout facility and he attended Pacman's proday. In fact, I find it hard to believe that if he were surrounded with Pacman types that he wouldn't have at least been accused of some criminal transgressions.

gunn34gunn34New Member
Apr 13, 2010, 01:01 PM

"MrClean wrote:

Well, if Miami does remove him, I hope they aren't as stupid as the Jags and let the world know about it. The Jags could have cost themselves a chance to trade down. Not likely, but still no reason to let that kind of info out, whether it is Dez, Mike Williams, or any other player.

That's why I think it's just smoke.

"rafael wrote:

He's never been a cancer or a complainer. He's never bad mouthed his team mates or his coach. And there isn't any report that he has ever surrounded himself with Pacman types. They workout at the same workout facility and he attended Pacman's proday. In fact, I find it hard to believe that if he were surrounded with Pacman types that he wouldn't have at least been accused of some criminal transgressions.

Agreed.

#1dolphinsfan#1dolphinsfanNew Member
Apr 13, 2010, 01:20 PM

hopfully he is a Dolphin

Skeet84Skeet84New Member
Apr 13, 2010, 02:12 PM

I would love to get the inside info that some teams have. Teams dont dismiss guys just for sake of being afraid to draft a position. Than again smokescreen is possible if they think someone is willing to trade ahead of them

ANAnonymousSupporter
Apr 13, 2010, 02:14 PM

One less team to worry about. And Denver could be next because It looks like Marshall is staying.

RalphX19XRalphX19XNew Member
Apr 13, 2010, 02:38 PM

Best news of the day.

SICKSICKForum Veteran
Apr 13, 2010, 02:42 PM

sweet get him in a phins jersey!!!

Roman529Roman529New Member
Apr 13, 2010, 03:22 PM

Remember how everyone questioned the character of Vontae Davis before last year's draft....he turned out ok.

NorFlaFinNorFlaFinForum Veteran
Apr 13, 2010, 03:24 PM

I've never seen a 4 star HS kid turn into a All-American at the D1 level by NOT working hard.

If you want to hate on the kid for whatever imaginary reason; then hate away.

But this crap that hes not putting in the work on the practice field is garbage.

Players don't become bigger, stronger, faster by not working........

KB21KB21Supporter
Apr 13, 2010, 03:43 PM

"NorFlaFin wrote:

I've never seen a 4 star HS kid turn into a All-American at the D1 level by NOT working hard.

If you want to hate on the kid for whatever imaginary reason; then hate away.

But this crap that hes not putting in the work on the practice field is garbage.

Players don't become bigger, stronger, faster by not working........

Darn. I keep forgetting the media just dislikes Dez Bryant and is making up a bunch of stuff about him. How silly of me.

BuckeyeKingBuckeyeKingNew Member
Apr 13, 2010, 04:10 PM

Smokescreen.....

ANAnonymousSupporter
Apr 13, 2010, 05:21 PM

"KB21 wrote:

Darn. I keep forgetting the media just dislikes Dez Bryant and is making up a bunch of stuff about him. How silly of me.

The don't dislike him, but they sure as hell are blowing everything out of proportion.

DesidesDesidesForum Veteran
Apr 13, 2010, 05:24 PM

The only thing worth taking away from the article is that the Jaguars have no confidence in their ability to scout wide receivers, which is more or less obvious given their history of failure at the position. They're arguably poorer at WR than we are, which is quite a feat. I shouldn't even have to mention Ernest Wilford, but I will anyway.

The Jaguars are drafting scared.

@desides01

"Not you." — Tywin Lannister

KB21KB21Supporter
Apr 13, 2010, 05:30 PM

"Desides wrote:

The only thing worth taking away from the article is that the Jaguars have no confidence in their ability to scout wide receivers, which is more or less obvious given their history of failure at the position. They're arguably poorer at WR than we are, which is quite a feat. I shouldn't even have to mention Ernest Wilford, but I will anyway.

The Jaguars are drafting scared.

They are drafting smart by staying away from the wide receiver position in the first round. The position just isn't worth the price.

DesidesDesidesForum Veteran
Apr 13, 2010, 05:54 PM

"KB21 wrote:

They are drafting smart by staying away from the wide receiver position in the first round. The position just isn't worth the price.

Smart in the sense that they have no idea how to scout for a WR as proven by their own history of draft picks and free agent acquisitions.

Otherwise, it's stupid and just an excuse.

@desides01

"Not you." — Tywin Lannister

KB21KB21Supporter
Apr 13, 2010, 05:56 PM

"Desides wrote:

Smart in the sense that they have no idea how to scout for a WR as proven by their own history of draft picks and free agent acquisitions.

Otherwise, it's stupid and just an excuse.

No.

Smart in that they realize that wide receiver isn't a position that warrants being drafted in the first round.

ANAnonymousSupporter
Apr 13, 2010, 06:02 PM

"KB21 wrote:

No.

Smart in that they realize that wide receiver isn't a position that warrants being drafted in the first round.

That's not true, though.

DesidesDesidesForum Veteran
Apr 13, 2010, 06:03 PM

"KB21 wrote:

No.

Smart in that they realize that wide receiver isn't a position that warrants being drafted in the first round.

This is merely you projecting your draft philosophy onto the article. Nothing in the text supports this position. The thrust of the content is that the Jaguars are using past scouting failures at the position to justify supposedly removing Dez Bryant from their draft board.

Compounding this point is Del Rio's comment about mid-round receivers and the state of this year's WR class in general. He's simply wrong. This is a good year to pick a receiver relatively high if you need a potential starter, and it's also a good year to pick for depth. The Jaguars need both, but are apparently checking out because, again, they have no faith in their ability to evaluate the position.

That franchise is a total mess. Actually, now that I think of it, I wouldn't be surprised if this is a set-up to justify Tebow at #10.

@desides01

"Not you." — Tywin Lannister

BuckeyeKingBuckeyeKingNew Member
Apr 13, 2010, 06:27 PM

"KB21 wrote:

No.

Smart in that they realize that wide receiver isn't a position that warrants being drafted in the first round.

Yeah and look how awesome the Jaguars are :pointlol: