1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jags @ #3 going WR could trigger a run on the position

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Galant, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    Yahoo Link

""I think the third spot could shock people [again]," the personnel man said, referring to Jacksonville. "I think they like [Amari] Cooper more than they are letting on. You hear things and they have been pretty good about what's getting out there. It's a lot like it was last year."

There hasn't been a lot of buzz about the marriage of the Jaguars and the Heisman Trophy finalist, largely because Cooper doesn't seem like a natural fit. The team already has three sizable young wide receivers in Allen Robinson, Allen Hurns and Marqise Lee. If anything, the Jaguars look more like a candidate for a slot wideout later in the draft. They also added tight end Julius Thomas and have many pressing needs on defense. This is why Florida outside linebacker Dante Fowler Jr. has been the anticipated selection at No. 3.
    [​IMG]Amari Cooper (AP)

Interesting that Charles Robinson skipped the Dolphins as a team interested in WR. Still, if this were to happen and 5 WR went off the board before 14 that would make for some interesting drafting at 14. It could be that Scherff and Gregory are still sitting there to strengthen either the OL or the Linebacker corp.

2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I can't see the Jags taking a WR at #3, and 5 WR definitely aren't going before pick 14.

In the past 25 years, only once has 4 WRs been selected in the top 13 picks (2004).

3. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Agree. The Jaguars are very unlikely to take a WR.

4. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I think the personnel guy is tricking himself into thinking it's Cooper.

Last year they were indeed good at keeping their cards close to the vest on Blake Bortles. However, that didn't make the pick unpredictable at all. I thought it was very predictable. You just needed to follow the logic and then wait for them to do the same.

I don't know how much they've done to signal their interest in Dante Fowler. But they really need a pass rusher and Fowler rates high enough. I think they may be trying to send out subtle clues to throw people off, but that is most likely where they're heading.

5. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    The only WR I like in the first round is Cooper and he definitely won't be there at 14. My selection would be Gurley if he is still on the board. If not, I would rather see the Dolphins upgrade their CB, LB, or guard position with their first round pick.

I just don't see the WR position being the big area of need when compared to the need at these other positions.

6. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Sweet. Then some pass rushers might fall to Miami.

7. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    Jacksonville also has Justin Blackmon so they have 5 wrs right now. I say we should take Devante Parker and then draft all defense and then look for f/a olinemen .