1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's a day late...but proves that people have basically forgotten.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Pagan, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    [​IMG]

We can never forget those who gave their lives that day. The title track for our next album pays them homage.

2. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    It's an amazing memorial for any that havent been there, if you ever get a chance do not pass it up. I have been there several times Pearl Harbor/Hickam AFB - as recently as Nov '09......

Regarding, Dec 7th, I thought about this as I was flying yesterday.

Wondered if folks forgot 12/7 and if so, has it been replaced by 9/11 by this generation???

3. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i still find these types of memorials a bit creepy when you consider how many died but it makes everyone feel the event so I guess it makes sense. Americans have some weird memorials

Personally I wouldve preferred Emepror Hirohitos severed head in a glass box as a memorial but hey thats just me

1armychick, Pagan, SICK and 1 other person like this.
  4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    No one's forgotten

adamprez2003 and dolphindebby like this.
  5. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I havent forgotten, I think since it has been a real long time since it happened we dont think about it as much.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I considered DDay as more seminal Pagan, Pearl Harbor was heinous I just prefer the more advanced part, when the Axis had gotten whipped but still had to be defeated.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  7. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    First off, great overhead shot of the memorial Pagan. Don't think I've even seen that before. Thanks for posting it.

As for forgetting, and while I can certainly appreciate where you are coming from, I don't think most Americans have forgotten. Not the boomer generation. And, certainly not in "the greatest generation" (or "silent generation") that fought in it, and/or lived through it. Now, as far as today's generations (X and so forth), and being overshadowed by 911? Well, you may have a point. I mean, let's face it...that's much more current, and something we all witnessed first hand (as opposed to reading about Pearl Harbor in school, or hearing about it from those that were alive at the time). And, it's really a wound that's still healing. 911 that is. Whereas Pearl was almost seventy years ago.

But, I think your point is valid. IMO remembrance of significant military battles from WWII are slowly but surely fading from the forefront of our collective thinking (as a country). And, for a whole host of reasons I won't go into. It's a shame really. We all owe the men that fought in WWII a HUGE debt of gratitude. Not only because they had the courage and fortitude to fight two evil empires. But, because of the overwhelming odds that they overcame to achieve a victory in both theaters. It has been well documented that the Germans had a huge advantage over us as far as their military might was concerned. And, Japan obviously landed a brutal blow with their sneak attack on Pearl that severely handicapped our navy in the Pacific. But, we beat them both anyway. And, I believe we did so because of the sheer grit and determination of the American GI. Yes, they were "the greatest generation" IMHO.

I have several family members that were all in the military. A late uncle that died just a few short years ago that landed on Omaha Beach (IIRC). Another uncle fought who in Korea (on a side note, he's a Marine. And, I will tell you everything you read and hear about the Marines is true, 'cause he's a total bad *** at 80+ years of age). And, my father (who's still going pretty strong at 89) was a navigator in the Mighty 8th Air Force. He was shot down and was a POW for almost a year before Patton's Army liberated him. So, as you can see...I grew up with a first hand account of the experiences that these men went through. And, I will tell you, it's pretty sobering when you hear from someone you love the things that they did (and would do again) for their country.

I have also been to the Arizona Memorial. It was back in '92. And, it was a very emotional experience for me. It's something I don't think I'll ever forget it. In fact, I distinctly remember (can visualize it) the oil drops that come to the surface (from the Arizona) in a steady trickle all these many years later. Simply mind boggling.

So, as you can see from my rambling, I haven't forgotten. And, I would like to just say, in memory of those that served (as well those that still serve), and for those that made the ultimate sacrifice, may God Bless you all. Thank you for helping make it so this American can wake up each day free. I promise you...I will never forget. That's the least I can do.

8. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    BigDogsHunt likes this.
  9. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    we didn't forget in the history thread. and i've been there. between the film and the memorial, its a quite powerful experience.

edit: the film they show you at Pearl Harbor, not the bust staring ben affleck.

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  10. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area

It absolutely is (still to this day)....tears of the fallen!!!!!:up:

As you walk around and visit the various visual aides on the island side, and use the sound system tour to listen about each stop on the path....then the Film they show prior to loading up on the water taxi to head over to the AZ is so powerful....wonderful, wonderful job of putting visitors in the proper frame of mind to comprehend what happened that day.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  11. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Well my main point was to show that people still remember more than saying that no one pays attention to the History forum...that part was in jest actually. :D

So at Pearl Harbor you get to see a bust of Ben Affleck?....Awesome. :shifty:

In all seriousness I'd love to be able to visit the actual memorial someday.

12. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    I didn't mean we forgot here, I meant we as a nation in general. I heard more about John Lennon yesterday than about PH the day before.

Sad...

sking29 likes this.
  13. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    some of these memorials are depressing. I visited the holocaust museum, the vietnam memorial and the korean memorial in dc. very dramatic stuff. I couldn't imagine being at the one at pearl harbor.................

14. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Was December 7th when Lennon was killed? I honestly have no idea.

Also Pagan or anyone else I didn't mean to come off as antagonistic I was just pointing it out...nothing more. :up:

Edit: Oh Lennon died December 8th...just looked that up.

15. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Didn't think you were bro, it's all good. :knucks:

16. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I've been there.

Awesome experience and everyone should go at least once. Chris Berman and family were actually on our tour. He may or may not be on yours, but you should go anyway.

17. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    No forgetting from this end. I spent Monday watching a half dozen Pearl Harbor documentaries.

Pagan and Phinperor like this.
  18. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    ^ and he's freakin' Canadian :knucks:

19. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    ... and I've heard more about Tiger Woods in the past week than I care to hear for the rest of my life!! :lol:

It is a very emotional place, for sure. It is hard for me to go there and keep the eyes dry, I have to admit. Thanks Pagan for producing the reminder here. :up:

20. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    BTW ... "Awaken the Giant" is a great track.