1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is TV Drama Finally Getting Out of Its Murder Rut?

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by NaboCane, Jul 25, 2014.

1. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    http://time.com/3025198/tv-drama-mu..._campaign=Feed:+time/tunedin+(TIME:+Tuned+In)

It's a valid question. Since the sixties, TV has become more about murder than any other single theme. I love a good procedural, and even an antihero like the titular Hannibal; but there's far lesser fare than that and 'CSI' populating the body count, and a lot of it is just putrid.

Does quality trump the fact that we're becoming evermore inured against murder by television?

2. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Rectify is definitely a step in the right direction, perhaps USA Network's Satisfaction is too [it appears to be after two episodes].

The former is such a beautiful, flawless, breathtaking drama; superbly written and superbly cast, and it's from the producers of Breaking Bad.

So well done, so spot on, and so much attention to detail it feels like live non-fiction. Talk about a show that takes you on a goddam emotional experience! I don't know if we've ever experienced such depth of character before. You're not just watching Daniel Holden deal with life, society, and technology after 19 years incarcerated on death row... or him coping with and enduring persecution from a murder that he may or may not have committed; you're truly living it right along with him. IMO Holden, including Aden Young's portrayal of him, is easily one of the best characters of the past decade. Not only is Aden the greatest Emmy & Golden Globe snub but he should be the winner of both. Forget the writing, forget the casting job, forget the simple yet entertaining plot for a moment; Rectify is worth watching for Aden's performance alone.

I'm guessing anyone who enjoyed Top of the Lake will thoroughly enjoy Rectify and then some.

NaboCane likes this.
  3. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    I'll give 'Rectify' a try, although I'm sick to death of everything set in the ****ing South.

But if I see ONE doublewide, I'm OUT.

ToddPhin likes this.
  4. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    LOL. Dont worry, they avoided Cuchulainn's neighborhood.
    .... and the show features the beautiful Abigail Spencer..... who's also in.... dundundun...... Suits. :shifty:

You owe it to yourself to at least watch the pilot of Suits BTW.