1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Ryan Tannehill the long term solution at QB?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Chuck Wilson, Nov 1, 2015.

Is Ryan Tannehill the long term answer at QB for us?

1. Yes

44 vote(s)
    40.7%
  2. No

39 vote(s)
    36.1%
  3. Not quite sure, need to see more

25 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    They showed a graphic towards the end. I think he had 20 passes 10 yards or less from the LOS, and 5 beyond 10 yards. This is Alex Smith style offense.

The thing is, this may be due in part because Tanny doesn't want to throw it past 10 and he checks down.

2. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I'd like to see a comparison to every QB.

3. yoge

yoge New Member

Dec 29, 2013

Laser is calling plays designed to Tannehills strengths which is short yard passes.

4. bakedmatt

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Lazor may say he's calling plays to Tannehill's strength, but he insists on running these outside tosses and fades when they fail time and time again, so how well is he doing?

5. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Tannehill has many options built into the play call that he chooses when he lines up and looks at the defense. And on each variation there are obviously progressions from deeper to short.

But I agree his strength is the short pass. But that's not much of a strength is it? If your strength is passes at, behind, or within 10 yards of the LOS we're kind of fu**ed

gunn34 likes this.
  6. bakedmatt

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Can he audible and change from a run to pass or vice versa? I thought that was questioned.

7. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Gonna have to refer you to club (you're a member) because it was discussed there. The answer isn't an easy yes or no. Just know, he is given a lot of freedom. Even Belichick discusses this last year before one of our games.

8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    yes

9. bakedmatt

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I actually don't have a Club membership anymore. But the tag remains. :)

10. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Oi!

Well, I can discuss this:

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/belichick-game-manager-high-compliment

and from Lazor, this explains everything.

Fin-O likes this.
  11. bakedmatt

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
  12. finsfandan

finsfandan Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Not true. I WISH Tannehill had the sack Favre had. I'd much rather have more arm punts and many more points than less INTs and way less points.

By points I don't mean TDs thrown by the QBs, but also TDs ran in by WHOEVER and also FGs. Those aren't directly attributable to the QB but it helps the team. Having a sack like Favre makes all that possible, plus the field position isn't bad a lot of the time with deep arm punts. It also opens up the field for the running game and shorter throws.

All I'm asking for is Tannehill to have a YPA equal to Moore with less INTs than he had. That's not asking for Favre-level play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    I said this last week and I'll say it again today: we are seeing the beginning of the end of Ryan Tannehill in Miami.

gunn34 likes this.
  14. Fin-O

Fin-O Initiated Club Member

Sep 28, 2015
    Im critical of Ryan, almost to the point of accepting all he is and ever will be as a QB. But what happened today to make you think it's the beginning of the end for him?

15. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Yeah, I want to see more points, too...but the team seems incredibly dysfunctional. I can't fathom how we can't get Cameron more involved.

16. finsfandan

Dec 14, 2014
    Anybody know what the Dolphins' record is against division opponents in the Tannehill era (not including the win where Moore replaced him after injury)?

Pretty sure these mounting losses against division opponents is making many of us lose nearly all hope for Tannehill.

17. Fin-O

Fin-O Initiated Club Member

Sep 28, 2015

I can see your point overall, but today he did enough to win the game and a number of variables prevented us from coming out on top. None of which was him. Atleast not today.

18. finsfandan

Dec 14, 2014
    I agree but I'm not just basing it off one game. I'm looking at the bigger picture.

19. bakedmatt

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    You're in luck. Tannehill is currently throwing for more YPA than Matt Moore did in 2011.

resnor likes this.
  20. Serpico Jones

Feb 1, 2012
    Not just today, he's struggled the entire season. A new coach will want his own guy.

21. bakedmatt

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I believe our new coach will choose Miami because of him. What else is there to sell?

22. Serpico Jones

Feb 1, 2012
    Certainly not him.

gunn34 likes this.
  23. bakedmatt

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    So, nothing. Damn.

24. finsfandan

Dec 14, 2014
    I'm sure the "perfect game" he had heavily skewed the average. He's just not an explosive QB. Doesn't scare defenses. Look at the way they play us.

25. finsfandan

Dec 14, 2014
    Reason why I'm discounting Tannehill's YPA finally being higher than Moore's is not only because of the YAC he benefitted from in his "perfect game," but also because he's never even matched Moore's YPA until now. Until after the famous YAC game, which heavily skews the average through half a season.

Phins Up Wins Up likes this.
  26. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    When you watch the games, do you really see a team running an offense that looks like it threatens the entire field? The offense itself looks boring and lifeless. Perhaps teams play us like they do, due to the offense we run. It doesn't have to be the QB. Plus, with how bad or oline is, it makes sense to bring everyone close, as chances are, Tannehill isn't going to have time to get the ball deep.

27. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Tannehill is not the answer.

28. Chuck Wilson

Chuck Wilson New Member

Oct 20, 2015
    No, hes not. Just because he isn't the biggest problem on the team people want to act as if he isn't a problem.

I'll tell you what, if we end up with a high draft pick next year and Paxton Lynch or Jared Goff is available, in trading Tannehill and picking one of them up. We've had four years to determine if he's the answer.

If you watch a QB for four years and still have to question whether he's a bonafide NFL starter, you really don't have the right QB in place. Trade him to the highest bidder and start over. I'm pretty sure whoever our next Coach is, is going to want his guy. Tannehill might get next season but the writing is on the wall.

29. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Nonsense.

Draft lineman and corners. Qb isn't our problem.

30. Chuck Wilson

Chuck Wilson New Member

Oct 20, 2015
    He didn't do enough to win the game. Putting 17 points up isn't enough to win. Don't let the nice completion percentage and the yardage fool you. His main objective is to score points and he didn't help us score nearly enough

pumpdogs likes this.
  31. finsfandan

Dec 14, 2014
    No and it's headed by Tannehill, the king of short yard passes. He hit some deep passes today and he has opportunities to do so more often than he does.

Taylor did what I was talking about, though, and yes I know he had a great team performance but the guy is the definition of an explosive QB. Wilson is the same way but a better passer than either. Newton is an animal. Luck has been showing up lately despite injuries and has always been a complete QB.

Tannehill is... meh. Good at high percentage throws, athletic but doesn't take advantage, just doesn't make enough explosive plays. We're talking about a guy with a career YPA lower than the backup he replaced. Literally the only reason he's finally surpassed the guy is because of YAC in a game or two.

We need a QB that puts the fear into defenses. If it's a Favre type of guy that makes you scratch your head often but we score more, so be it. If it's a Vick type of guy that gets injured for a couple of games every season, so be it. Anywhere close to either would be great to take advantage of the run because we're not doing it now.

pumpdogs and Phins Up Wins Up like this.
  32. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    He's not out there drawing plays in the dirt. He doesnt call the plays, pretty sure he cant audible still. Lazor calls the plays, tannehill executes them. Based on how things went today, RT17 did his job.

Your problem is with the gameplan, not the guy having to run it.

resnor and Chuck Wilson like this.
  33. Chuck Wilson

Chuck Wilson New Member

Oct 20, 2015
    The game plan and the play calling is mediocre at best, but I have a problem with Tannehill as well. He played pretty well today, aside from the fact that we only put up 17 points.

I just don't believe in the guy and I think we've seen His best.

34. Chuck Wilson

Chuck Wilson New Member

Oct 20, 2015
    No he's part of the solution.......NOT. Get a clue man, he's a mediocre QB at best. You need to build a Seattle Seahawks in order to sniff the playoffs with this guy. I'll root for him and acknowledge when he plays well because he plays for the team I love, but I've seen enough to know hes painfully average.

QB id rather have than Tannehill:
    Rodgers, Brady, Luck, Roethlisberger, Matt Ryan, Can Newton, Carson Palmer, Russel Wilson, Mariota, Derek Carr, Romo, Eli, Winston, Bortles, Bridgewater, Rivers...

I'd put Peyton up there but he's done. Stafford is debatable. Hell, to be honest I'd probably take Tyrod Taylor because he's explosive in his first year as a starter. In done with Ryan Tannehill

35. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Nope. Tannehill is given a lot of freedom with the call. You think Lazor is calling for 20 out of 25 passes shorter than 10 yards from the LOS? No, those decisions are made by Tannehill.

36. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    young qbs are generally given one option. if its a pass you can check into a run or vice versa. he doesnt have the audible freedom peyton manning does where he can just call out any play he feels like

37. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    You already know what options he is given. He is NOT given only one option. Now, he is not given free reign to call whatever he wants. But the call that is given, gives him a lot of options.

38. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    he can check down from a pass to a run or to keep the ball himself and run. thats not a lot of options. thats the options young qbs are given. once you're in the league six or seven years you start getting audible options where you can switch out of one pass play to another. he doesnt have that

39. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007

here's the thing, when your a qb and you know you have issues along the front, its a read your first option, if it aint there, GTFO of dodge or throw it away type situation..Right now his vision is compartmentalized and its pretty much the first option or get sacked...and thats the way its been since arriving...

40. Phins Up Wins Up

Phins Up Wins Up Banned

Nov 27, 2014
    And once again after another blow out some of his stats were in garbage time