1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Ryan Tannehill going to be relevant in the new NFL schemes?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dorfdad, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Was listening to Sirius NFL radio a few days ago and the discussion was about quarterbacks and how the league is now changing and how We have the old guard with Payton, Bradey (classic Pocket passers) and the semi new / old QB's like Arron Rodgers, Drew Brees (mobile but more pocket oriented but will run) and new guys like Colin Kaepernick and to a degree Cam Newton who can run this Pistol Offense where the QB is a Major running threat and can pass.

It seems like this will be the new west coast offense where everyone will be adapting to and want to have a dual threat behind the center. It seems like we are going to adopt the West Coast offense here, but is it to late? I mean sure it will be better than we had but these new schemes seem to produce a much more potent offense.

So it got me wondering are we grooming a QB for an Offense that was yesterdays flavor? I dont mean that as a negative even though it sounds like it. I like Ryan but Im worried we could get a good QB but still not have an offensive style or QB than can compete on the same level as these top tiered teams in 2-3 years.

Can Ryan become a dual threat? He ran more in college but this year he did alot more pocket only. It seems when he rolled out towards the end of the year we did better.

Whats your take?

2. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Im not sure it should become a major aspect of the offense, but they should in some capacity use the Pistol and zone read. The QB can slide, which eliminates a lot of the risk. Some of the smarter QBs like Kaepernick and Wilson have shown that it can be done without taking hits. Its being used too effectively to ignore IMO, and Tannehill has the requisite athleticism.

3. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I'm not sold on the dual-threat QB trend. I think 'running' QBs have a higher risk of taking a hard shot or buckling a knee and getting injured. I think it's healthy to have a QB who can scramble and get you 2-3 first downs a game, but defensive players are just too big and too fast to risk playing your QB like a RB.

So, to answer your question... I don't think pocket QBs are going anywhere. So... yes, Tannehill will most definitely stay relevant. If he doesn't make it as an NFL QB, it won't be because he can't put up 80 yards rushing per game.

Steve-Mo, dolfan7171, RevRick and 4 others like this.
  4. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    Pistol is used for 1-2 years and now the WCO/Coryell are defunct. Wow.

5. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I think this kind of question will hopefully get certain people to realize just how good we're about to have it with Tannehill.

6. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Frankly, I see a Rodgers with CKaep's running ability. Let's not forget, if Tanny was a WR still, he'd be far and away the best and most dynamic one we have.

7. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Even if you believe offense like the pistol are here to stay and Not just a fad, Tannehill has the potential to fit the mold, look at his history.

And, IMO, this is just the latest buzzword in the NFL. RGIII will have a short career because of his offense. Cam Newton came back down to earth. Vick has been too banged up for years.

The truly great young QBs like Aaron Rodgers and soon-to-be Andrew Luck are still pass first and run when needed with a lot of scrambling and bootlegs in between. And it's nothing new. The best example is Steve Young.

8. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm not sure it's evidence of an NFL sea change as much as it is that supposed "college offense" quarterbacks are being better prepared and/or accommodated as professionals. The same thing with rushing quarterbacks being a thing was pretty popular about a decade ago with Culpepper, McNabb, Vick, and McNair were in their prime.

shouright likes this.
  9. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    I'm not as confident that the read-option QB is the "new mold" of QB. It's had great success this year and I forsee it having very good success in the upcoming couple of years. But I do believe defenses will adapt to it.

With that said, even if it is the new mold of QB and that is going to be what it takes to be successful for 5-10 years, then Ryan Tannehill has all of the necessary skills to fit that mold. I don't see him having any difficulty learning and running such an offense if necessary.

10. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I think it has a future to some extent, but not as a full time offense. I think it is a very valuable weapon though to be able to mix in here and there to give the defense a change of pace and keep them guessing and on their toes. And unlike the Wildcat for instance, you can sprinkle this in whenever b/c you can run it out of traditional formations and personnel. Even just showing the threat of it occasionally can help really force a defense to account for him (which traditional defensive schemes are not designed to do), freeing things up in both the run and pass games.

I liked how we started to use it in the last few games... maybe 5-6 times a game. Using it at that rate (with the QB being smart about sliding) keeps the risk down on the exposure of your QB to excessive hits, while still getting to enjoy all the benefits it brings (productive play at the moment, and freeing up the offense in the plays that follow).

Fin D likes this.
  11. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Joe Flacco is probably the fastest QB so I guess.

12. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I'm shocked this was even brought up for discussion. For cryin out loud he was an honorable mention Freshman All-American receiver and ran a 4.65 despite coming off a foot injury. He has enough mobility & athleticism to make things happen with his feet.

Running QBs hike up their chance of injury, see RG3 this year, Mike Vick (missed 14 games the past 3 years), and Randall Cunningham (missed 39 games in 5 years in Philly after previously taking the league by storm).

BTW, a sprained knee tends to affect a player's ability to run.

GMJohnson and Bpk like this.
  13. Laces Out

Laces Out Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    Look no farther than Chip Kelly. The things his O does are insane. Not only do they rely on speed, they change WHO they run the ZR off of. One play may be the end, next is the tackle, and the next is the MLB. That's the next evolution of the ZR in the NFL IMO.

Now, can Tannehill do that and stay alive? I think so on a limited basis.

14. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    and before that you had Randall Cunningham. The Michael Vick of my youth. exciting as hell to watch, but when he went up against great defenses, he usually lost.

15. Ophinerated

Ophinerated Preposterous!

Apr 1, 2008
    I agree and I would love to see Tannehill progress into that.

16. Nice try but if your 41 you should remember fran tarnkenton and steve young :tongue2:

Ducken and Ophinerated like this.
  17. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Completely wrong assertion imo. Both Wilson and Kaepernick are better passers than Tannehill and run better too. If you really believe this statement go take a look at Kaepernick's throws over the last two games...UNBELIEVABLE!!! Throws 25 yards down the field that are absolute bullets where the WR doesn't have to change direction at all. Perfect leads. If Tannehill ever gets to that level Miami has found their franchise QB.

shouright and Ophinerated like this.
  18. AdamC13

May 3, 2010
    I have never seen so many reaches in such a short post. Rodgers passing, Kap's running and best and most dynamic WR on team...really? All of this is supported by?

Anonymous and shouright like this.
  19. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    More than your well documented and unfounded Tannehill hate is supported by.

20. AdamC13

May 3, 2010
    In other words you have NOTHING.

I don't hate Tannehill. I just think he needs to prove he is a quality QB on the field. So far, he hasn't done anything more special than most of the 15 starters Miami has had since Marino.

Since you bash the supporting cast does that mean you "hate" all the other Dolphins?

shouright likes this.
  21. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I've got plenty. Its all been said a 100 times. And of those 100 times, you've plugged your ears and screamed, "Lalalala" all 100. There's no point rehashing it with you, the 101st time. I'm far from the only person that has said it, and I won't be the last. You, however, are one of the few haters. So keep the hate alive and hate on, hater.

Canad-phin and ToddPhin like this.
  22. AdamC13

May 3, 2010
    The red herring continues.

I admit I missed the all 100 times the evidence supporting RT passes like Rodgers, runs like Kap and is the most dynamic and best WR on the team.

So how are my posts indicating RT needs to step up big time and hasn't proved it on the field of play make me a hater, but your posts continually bashing the supporting cast, even creating formulas to try and prove it, don't make you a hater? Kettle meet pot...

shouright likes this.
  23. I agree that RT still has lots to prove

24. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

College offenses work for college because of young bodies, and three or four years max you need them to play.

Having your franchise QB, with far more mileage on him, try to sustain a ten plus year career taking NFL hits... You will need a good pocket passer as his backup, because that back up will play almost as often as your 'starter'.

That or replace your starting QB with a new college guy every three years.

Berezo and shouright like this.
  25. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I love the offense, I debated many folks about its evolution, I love the qbs that are running them, the offense is why i had so much interest in Cap, RG, and Wilson, and confident they would become elite players, I also put a high priority on playmaking ability when protection breaks down, the more and more I watched qbs win games with their ability to scramble, reset, shuffle, deek, the more I wanted one who could do it with speed and precision..I'm not sure Tannehill has the level of specific athleticism or quickness to be effective running to the perimeter following blockers or running an option play like those guys, but maybe I'm underestimating his athleticism, for some reason the athleticism he used to play receiver does not show up when I see him trying to escape the pocket..on the other hand, I feel like if you protect this guy, he has great arm talent and might just make up that difference with his arm and accuracy.

shouright likes this.
  26. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Then it's clear why you rail so strongly against data that suggest anything to the contrary. That's an awfully big bubble to have burst regarding Tannehill, and I imagine there's a correspondingly big one regarding your belief in the accuracy of your own judgment, despite that there is likely very little basis for it.

Anonymous likes this.
  27. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    I don't see anywhere near the suddenness from him in that regard. It's about like the difference between Percy Harvin and Brian Hartline. JMO.

Regardless, IMO it'll take but one more major injury along the lines of RGIII for NFL teams to seriously reconsider their use of it. The game just rides too much on the QB.

Berezo and djphinfan like this.
  28. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    It would be irresponsible to not have that as a concern. Brady & Manning are still at the top of their game and performing at a HOF level at 35 & 36 years old. At what age does a read option QB hit the decline? Do you then try to make him a pocket passer, or do you instead draft another QB? Personally, I'd rather have someone of the Rodgers mold who has enough mobility to pick up yards with his feet when he needs to, in calculated fashion.

Hiruma78 and Eop05 like this.
  29. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    As far as the original OP is concerned... Cam Newon ran a 4.59 and Ckap ran a 4.53. Tannehill ran a 4.65. Tebow ran a 4.7 something. I think he's well within range to be able to run the spread option/pistol. You remember that big *** run he had late in the season (the one where he fumbled in the endzone, but it wasn't called?)? I think that demonstrates his ability to move well enough. He also did some SO in college. I think he's a pretty balanced player.

Agreed. Cam had a really ****ty start, no denying that. but he came on the last half of the season. 13 TD and 4 INT (1 multi game Int) passing. And added 4 more TD's on the ground. While I was shaky on his ability when he started off this year, I think he fully answered his critics. With some talent on that offense, the sky is the limit. I'd still take him over the young guns RG3 (healthy), Wilson, Luck, Tanny, and CKap, and Dalton.

I agree that passing from behind the LOS is important for all these young guys. But I can't agree with the assertion that mobile QB's are always going to get killed. Certain kinds are, certainly. The Cunningham's, Vicks, and RG3's of the world are simply not big enough. They don't have a lot of bulk on their bodies to sustain the impact like Running back's can. However, I think CKap, Cam, and to a degree, Tebow (if he could throw...) are different breeds. These guys are built large... Larger than everyone on offense besides their offensive line. I think these guys can sustain the hits as well as any RB. They're also smart enough to slide/get down when confronted with hitters and no where to go.

Not to mention HGH... Healing time is diminished too. Let's not pretend every NFL athlete is not on it. Or every athlete in every sport for that matter. The NFL is the perfect sport for that ****. Surprised no one is talking about Adrian Peterson and what he may or may not be on. What's more likely? God like healing ability or a little HGH juice? With the **** so prevalent, I'm not as worried about injuries and running QB's.

30. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Cause you play to win now, in the way you most believe can get you there, you match vision/design scheme with the highest level of talent to execute all parts of it, and to me that requires certain athletic ability to maximize the design of the offense, while adding the extra dimension of individual playmaking ability and how that relates to picking up first downs, scoring tds, and winning games..To me that prototype for today's NFL has changed..Kaepernick/luck/Wilson/Rodgers/Roth are the new prototypes..

Your points about injury does give me concern, but not enough to change my philosophy on winning.

Stringer Bell likes this.
  31. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Steve Young was approximately the same era, but Tarkenton is for the 50 year olds. I'm an old man, but not quite AARP yet.

shula_guy likes this.
  32. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Actually, what's clear is your bias built all around you defending Ireland. I've come to my conclusions based on numerous things, while you came to your conclusion and tried to find numerous things you could base on.

33. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You should only use the phrase, "red herring" when the person you're talking to has nothing. I don't bluff nor do I say things just for ****s and giggles. I am honest. If i say something, its because I actually think it and have reason to. If I have no reason to, then I will specify.

Now, again, I'm not going through a whole song a dance for you and your obvious bull**** hate, but I will throw you a bone. Here's Rodgers and Tannehill's college totals, you can figure out which is which.

[table="width: 700, class: grid"]
    [tr]
    [td]Comp[/td]
    [td]Att[/td]
    [td]Pct[/td]
    [td]Yds[/td]
    [td]TD[/td]
    [td]Int[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]424[/td]
    [td]665[/td]
    [td]63.8[/td]
    [td]5469[/td]
    [td]43[/td]
    [td]13[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]484[/td]
    [td]774[/td]
    [td]62.53[/td]
    [td]5450[/td]
    [td]42[/td]
    [td]21[/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]

There are other similarities, but you can start here, since your Tannehill hate was from when he was in college, its safe to assume you probably felt the same way about Rodgers. If not, then your bias is even more evident.

34. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Pocket passers typically stay healthier. An injured/sidelined RGIII isn't useful. Take your chances running the ball with a QB, but limit those chances so you don't ruin the most important guy on the field.

35. I cant say I am a fan of the new prototypical QB. I am not a fan of aggressive running by a player that you expect to be on the field for every play. Injuries are a definite concern but there is also mental concerns and fatigue to consider as well. I perfer a calm, cool, collected QB under center. Also you need to always have a well practiced B/U QB ready to go and I am not sure there is enough practice time available each week or enough quality QBs around to have a safe B/U to turn to in a game time situtation.

36. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I'm confused, Deej. You argued against my post (which stated "I'd rather have someone of the Rodgers mold who has enough mobility to pick up yards with his feet when he needs to, in calculated fashion.") but then you listed Rodgers as one of the "new prototypes", the type you prefer.

I personally don't think you can accurately call Kaep or any read-option QB the "new prototype" until they prove some sustainability as defenses make adjustments for it.

Are you insinuating guys like Brady & Manning will no longer stand a chance to win?
    There's a difference between a read-option QB and an athletic pocket QB who can run, at least in my eyes there is, so I wouldn't put Kaepernick and Rodgers in the same mold, nor would I put Kaep & Luck in the same mold, not at this current moment anyway.

37. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL

We should get Pat White back, he's more like the new prototype mold.

gilv13 likes this.
  38. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    I like a mobile QB and using him to make plays with his feet. I agree that Tannehill doesn't look nearly as quick or sudden as RG3 or Wilson when he starts to move in the pocket, but he is deceptively fast when he gets going and was able to split some defenders downfield when he did take off running. I'm not sure if he looks less quick at the start because he just lacks the explosiveness or if it is because he is still more prone to look for something downfield than to tuck it and run or scramble. I suspect it may be a little of both. But on designed run plays, I think he can be very effective, especially because he has a pretty decent play fake. While he's not quite as fast or explosive as Kaepernick, most of the long runs that I have seen Kaepernick make have been through giant holes that Tannehill is perfectly capable of running through too.

39. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Steve Young rushed a few times himself.

40. Berezo

Berezo Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    You cannot sustain a healthy QB in this kind of offense. None of these running quaterbacks will keep their rushing totals where they are now over a 12-15 year career. So they are being used up for the short term and will be burnt out after 5-6 years. Better hope you have elite talent that comes out every 5-6 years for your offense, and you are in a position to draft them that way.