1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Peyton Manning done?

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by Clark Kent, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    The spinal fusion surgery has eliminated the majority of his arm strength. All the talk about his brain, people forgot he was as physically talented as anyone. Maybe not elite physical talent across the board, but certainly above average in every area. Jack of all trades. He can't throw intermediate passes with any consistency or accuracy anymore. Sad to see him in this state. He'll probably play another year but it's not going to matter. If today was his last game, the torch has been passed to his successor, Andrew Luck.

DPlus47 and shamegame13 like this.
  2. shamegame13

shamegame13 Madison & Surtain

Dec 15, 2014
    Stick a fork in him. Hes cooked. I dont think this weak arm is a short term problem that can be fixed. It was a problem created by the spinal neck fusion surgery and I dont think his arm will ever be what it used to be if I can speak freely. Feels good to say I rather have our QB then PEYTON MANNING LOL When did Phin fans think we would have finally been able to say that...

Clark Kent likes this.
  3. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    There are some things he can do in the offseason to improve his strength but he is done as far as being a Top 5 quarterback goes.. He will likely play 3 more seasons because he is still going to get 20 mill per.

Clark Kent likes this.
  4. DPlus47

DPlus47 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 14, 2008
    I know pride keeps a lot of these guys going, but I think pride could also force him to retire as a shell of his former self before it gets worse. He looked like Marino looked when he had the bone spur happening. Elway convinced him to come to Denver. IMO, Marino should call him and convince him to retire.

Clark Kent and shamegame13 like this.
  5. dont fumble

dont fumble Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Germany
    I think he is done and I think he knows it. He probably had his last great game against us. We should feel honored...

DPlus47, shamegame13 and Clark Kent like this.
  6. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Something definitely changed midway November though, because Peyton was on fire this season and then bam, his shoulder/rotator cuff went out on him. And they had to settle for Fox Ball to finish the season.

39 TD's 101 Rating, 4700 yards this season... they have to figure out the injury... He can still be a very good quarterback, a top quarterback, but they need to figure out the severity of this injury that slowed him down in the end.

DPlus47 and Clark Kent like this.
  7. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    I think he calls it quits after next season. Their window of opportunity is closing fast. And as good as Monte Ball is, I think they miss Moreno more than they care to admit. Hell we did too.

DPlus47 likes this.
  8. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    LOL we are in agreement that I think his regular seasons always meant more to him then his postseasons. You would see him go on 5-8 game streaks of just killer football where he is thrashing teams/running up the score/stats, but as soon as postseason hits, its like he relies on his running game or defense to win the games all of the sudden.

10. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    I think he has a farewell tour in 2015, been fun watching him play.

11. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    there were throws today that he missed that even 3 years ago he makes in his sleep. i think he will retire and call it a career and maybe begins to think about getting into coaching, with his brain i think he would make a great OC in the very least.

12. DPlus47

DPlus47 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 14, 2008
  13. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    There's good news for us as Miami Fans too if he retires. Obviously, Denver is gonna take a hit overall as Osweiler has to develop still which opens up a potential playoff spot for Miami to take! Go Phins!

DPlus47 likes this.
  14. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Nationwide is on your side.

15. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    I really hope he comes back for one more year. He's this generation's Dan Marino and I'd like to see him get one more ring.

16. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    He's finished. Hopefully he goes out now before it gets too ugly.

17. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    He should keep playing until no one is willing to pay him $10m+ per year.

18. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    My all time favorite non-Fin. First player jersey I ever owned (and still own) was a Tennessee #16 while I was in college there and he was the star of college football.

That being said, I think that its best that he hangs em up and calls it a career. His play at times this season has reminded me of Marino's last season when he'd clearly lost something.

19. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    "Broncos QB Peyton Manning played Sunday’s Divisional Playoff loss and the past month of the season with a torn right quad, per two sources." - Adam Schefter

Interesting... We'll see how this story develops.

20. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    From what I saw yesterday, I have to believe that Manning needs to hang it up and call it a career. His passes had no zip on them and he obviously doesn't have the arm strenght he had just a few years ago.

If he comes back next year, it will only be for the money IMO. I just don't see him having the capability of winning another Super Bowl at this stage of his career and that was the only reason the Broncos signed him in the first place.

Every great player eventually has to come to the realization that the end has come. Hopefully Mannng will come to this conclusion over the coming weeks. I have no doubt one or more of the sports networks already have a seat warmed for him once he does call it quits.

21. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    If its just a right quad then he can recover from it just fine...

But the problem then shifts to the Broncos' salary cap.

Wes Welker and Demarius Thomas both need extensions and will command big money. There are other key players that I cant think on the top of my head that also need extensions. And theyre in cap hell, they cant sign them, they mortgaged their future with their spending spree last offseason.

So will Peyton want to play for a team that may not have Thomas and Welker back? They already lost Decker. I dont think he will.

22. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    It's like you said, since mid November, Peyton suddenly started to suck. He was playing great prior to that KC chiefs game. From what Schefter is reporting, the injury was pretty bad. Which explains why he looked so un Peyton like. Hopefully he heals and comes back.

As for Denver, they'll be fine. They've got an estimated $33 million dollars in cap room if $141 million holds true (it will be higher most likely) before they even make any roster moves. They can sign Julius Thomas pretty easily. Then they can either sign or franchise Thomas for 12.8m. As far as Welker is concerned, they'll let him walk. He's damaged goods at this stage of his career. He was practically non existent all year. Who knows, maybe they'll bring in Reggie Wayne cheap and let him play in the slot.

I'm not too concerned about Denver outside of Peyton. If yesterday was a product of injury and he comes back healthy in 2015, they'll be fighting for the 1 seed again.

23. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    CJ Anderson + Peyton they'll be fine.

24. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Pretty sure that no way no how Manning goes out with his former team and the QB tney dumped him for beating him like a drum in his own backyard.

25. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    Pretty sexy for the media to call for a player to retire. They were essentially doing it to Brady after the KC game. now they are on his **** again. Now they do it to Peyton. Who was clearly not the same after the quad injury. This knee jerk conjecture is highly annoying.

26. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    They're just pining for Farve. He was good for two or three retirement stories a year.

Clark Kent likes this.