1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Pat White's performance better than Henne's?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Aug 9, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, the first week of Traning Camp is in the books, we've lost 3 players so far, Bronson, Rogers and Kilmer, and have had no injuries so far.

That said Pat White has also put in his first full week at Qb in the NFL process and I'm curious what my fellow phinfans think of Pat White so far?

Has he practiced well enough to allow anyone to see Henne being inactive on Gameday?

Sun Sentinnel kept some stats on the scrimmage:

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...i-dolphins-more-numbers-on-the-receivers.html

To me, White is a shotgun Qb, that is his element, so if White is active and Penny goes down, we will see the shotgun offense, if Henne is active and White is not, we could run the base offense.

The reason that is important is White's WC value may not be enough to keep him active on Gameday over Henne.

What say you?

dolfan7171 likes this.
  2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I say we've had an injury so far.

3. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    Like you said the shotgun is White's element, he's just trying to learn how to be a " real " QB now.

Come week one he'll be back in the shotgun and in his comfort zone.

I don't see Henne being active very much this year, i mean this is things they would of talked about before even drafting White.

Anyways i have not read anything from anyone saying that White has had a better camp so far.I did read one day he played better then the Chad's but that's it.

I think the real story so far is that Henne isn't pushing Pennington at all.

4. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    True, Roth, that wasn't really a camp injury though, and for me it is more of an opportunity for JT and Wake and Friends to show what they can do.

5. ascii

ascii People Watcher

Nov 27, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    Good Point.

I was hoping for the push by Henne as well, but I'll be more the satisfied with another year of Penny at the helm.

Dolfan984, Themole and funkdat like this.
  6. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    te david martin is also injured. smith had the injury scare as well but yea overall we've been lucky as all kinds of guys are going down around the league and it's only been a week.

djphinfan likes this.
  7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    If Penny does even better at Qb this year, it will be a tough call whether to resign him or not, I'd like to see him stay in Miami, but if he leaves it's the Chad Henne/Pat White show...

I'm not sure if that would be a good or bad thing.

funkdat likes this.
  8. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

i'm not talking about roth i'm talking about brennan marion

padre31 likes this.
  9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Yep, my bad.

that is 3 roster spots that I'm surprised Ireland has not filled as of yet.

10. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Well, i guess the fact that we're not hearing anything bad about any of them is good.

11. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    If White is outperforming Henne our future does not look good

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Not really. Pat White is not as bad as you make it seem.

13. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

You are stating that if Penny does better than last year, he might not get an extension?
    I think there is zero chance of that happening.
    Without Penny last year, we are maybe a .500 team, and there isn't another player that I could say that about on our roster.

Penny played at an All-Pro level last year and got screwed out of it. If he stays healthy and actually improves, I don't know how they can't add years to his contract

JMHO

DOLFANMIKE and Stringer Bell like this.
  14. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Henne can match or even outdo Penny on the athletic side of things. He may be just as smart as Penny, but he hasn't developed the savvy and leadership that Penny has yet. I don't think the camp is being set up for Henne to even try to push Penny and that doesn't bother me at all. Pretty much everything I read this week had White struggling a bit, compared to Henne or Penny. We haven;t and likely won't see much of the Pat package of the WC yet so to comment on it is useless right now. When the time comes, they'll unveil the revamped WC with White and we'll see how it goes then...but until then, all we're going to hear about White is how he is progressing as our #3 QB...he's not pushing Henne at all in that respect. The WC question just is nothing we're going to hear about until the season starts....

dolfan7171 and HULKFish like this.
  15. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    I read Armando's blog this morning, and he was discussing the QB situation in depth. And, from what he wrote it doesn't sound as though Henne needs to be worried about losing his position as #2 QB on the depth chart. Not anytime soon anyway. Sounds like White is pretty raw and will need time to develop (physically and mentally). I don't see Henne being inactive on game days. He has too much value as a back up IMO.

Complete article:
    http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/

Rocky Raccoon and Kanye West like this.
  16. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    apples & oranges
    coventional QB & wild cat QB

17. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Even if Henne is inactive on gamedays it doesnt mean he can't play. I dont see why everyone is so against this.

All it would mean is that Chad-P couldnt come back into the game, which is expected. Also White couldnt play, but there is NOTHING wrong with handing the WC back over to Ronnie for the remainder of one game. If Pennington COULD come back into the game surely Pat could hold down the offense for a small period of time. Its really a no lose situation.

18. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I don't expect White to shine until the doors close on practice.

PhinsRock, DOLFANMIKE and cnc66 like this.
  19. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Or you can do this. Pennington is listed as number 1 QB, Henne as number 2 and you list pat white as a receiver/running back. Then when Pat goes in for his "package" nobody is registered and inactive, because he's not the third quarterback.

20. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

JMO guys but in just one week of TC, they didn't do this early on as I recall, White has had his gloves removed and both his footwork and throwing motion changed. I see no reason to believe that these things just happened overnight, they were planned, so of course he is struggling at this point in the process because he was removed from his comfort zone. ITs up to him to make it work and I'm betting that he will (read Dave Hydes remarks on this very matter). He was a very accurate thrower in college and will be again once he's comfortable doing as he is asked to do or he won't be with us for long. :lol::up:

Here is the link:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...lphins-patwhite080709sbaug07,0,2289346.column

As for Henne not trying to be the best he can be I truly hope that is NOT the case because he should be doing everything possible to look as good as he can. Beating Penny or not if Henne isn't giving it 110 % then I want someone else in the game, not saying its true but still.....!!:no:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  21. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    You do not have to do this. All Miami has to do is not use the reserve 3rd QB designation on Pat White. He can be listed as a 3rd QB and active.

22. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

From everything I've read, Henne has been as effective passing the ball as Pennington - albeit with mostly the second team. What Henne needs to develop is leadership at this level - which I don't think will be a problem once the opportunity arises. As far as White being up there with Henne: I have yet to read anything anywhere that would indicate that. But Pennington is our starter and I think he'll have any even better season. I do, however, look forward to seeing Henne in the preseason games to see what our future might hold. And it's a sure bet that we will see no wild cat plays in preseason.

23. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Yes really! Pat White is not a full time QB in the NFL. He will fail as an NFL QB

felly smarts likes this.
  24. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    You're right. People seem to be over thinking this situation.

25. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    No offense intended to padre, but how could anyone possibly answer this question without it being 100% speculation and imagination. We have no clue how much of the offense White knows, or how well he can execute it. The same goes for Henne. We can assume that Henne is further along since Sparano has expressed confidence in him in the past. But neither QB has been in a pressure situation, or even close to it. So how could anyone even pretend to know which's "performance" is better? The only people who can answer this question are Tony Sparano, David Lee, and Dan Henning. Maybe Parcells and Ireland, but I doubt even they could evaluate a "performance" of either one at this point. It is the firm philosophical belief of this regime that you don't know what you have in a player until he performs in a pressure situation. So until that happens, all we have is a couple QBs who are learning, in preparation for a future performance. Grading the learning process can only be done by the coaches. Just as grading of students can only be done by teachers.

gafinfan likes this.
  26. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I'm so glad you are smarter than all those guys that are getting paid millions to make such decisions :sad:

27. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    And Steve Smith is a punt returner.

28. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

... And so far have made some pretty good decisions ... White is and will continue to be an ongoing developmental player , not unlike most QB's taken in any draft. The difference is , IMO , he will provide big play ability in this offense, quick strike , big chunks of yardage , and this will be fairly immediate once the regular season begins. I see that Miami wanted to identify how they could dramatically improve their big play ability and to find the best player to do that right now. I see their answer to that quest in Pat White.

He will continue to learn , grow and progress as standard QB , with the proviso that he will contribute signifigantly early on and , hopefully often. He will make Miami more dangerous and productive from the get go , again imo.

29. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Well, that's your opinion. We'll just have to wait and see.

30. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Skeet, all that matters is, will he be sucssfull in his roles in the evolution of the wildcat offense...Thats it, thats why he was drafted...their teaching him the position from a fundamental standpoint cause hes gonna be our third stringer and so that he can at least be funtional, and to grow him into the position so that the hybrid can become diverse and unpredictable when hes in the game.

If he ever does get in the hunt to take over a team, it will be because that team wants to committ 100 percent to the wildcat spread.

The hybrid is a much more dangerous offense. his roles will have no impact on the future of henne, completely seperate visions imo.

31. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    You said you haven't read anything about Henne not playing so well..........here ya go.

"""It generally was a bad day for the offense. But Henne set the tone.

Expected to be the QB of the future, Henne continues to struggle during camp running the two-minute offense. In fact, Henne rarely drives the team into reasonable scoring position.""" http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thed...ne-struggles-during-evening-practice-session/

Like i said he's not pushing CP at all, but he could just be a gamer, cuzzz he's look good in all the games so far.

padre31 likes this.
  32. felly smarts

felly smarts New Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Thank you. I have been biting my tounge on this subject for a long time. I was shocked and stunned to see that we wasted a pick on him.

33. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Can we at least let him play before we come to the conclusion that we wasted a pick on him?

34. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    still don't get it?:deadhorse:
    Pat the WildCat: SingleWing/Spread offense
    Henne is a conventional QB & heir apparent to Pennington
    GoFish!:up:

35. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    no disrespect Felly, but do you not get or see what the hybrid is all about. one doesnt effect the other..Pat white does not need to be a conventional qb to be sucessful in our version of offensive theory, he needs to only be himself.

the 23rd likes this.
  36. Disnardo

Disnardo Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    Not like to hear about Henne after 2 Off-Seasons...

and we are still in need of him showing some leadership with the 2nd stringers... come on, NO leadership around the 2nd stringers???

I don't have anything against Henne... but he did not wow anything last year, and Sporano said he has improved in his mechanics...

Now in comes White with very little QB knowledge coming out of college. Was he ever coached into being a under center QB? Probably not, mostly coaches used his legs (his main talent) but that does not mean he won't learn or he cannot learn...He was mostly used as a first read (Spread Offense) and go QB...

Just means he will have a longer learning curve...than a college pocket QB

One thing that many still don't see. He performed very well in his last game last year. Running a pro-style Offense... They gave him a week to prepare for it and guess what? He performed well enough to win the game...

As stated many times before... White was the best throwing QB at the combine this year...

Better than all the other pocket passers in this year's draft. I know people will say that he was not under any pressure nor had to make a reads, but niether were the other QBs...still White out performed them...

in the end... why would anyone not be worried that Henne cannot lead the team to a score in the Red Zone? I guess we all have different requirements for a franchise QB...

We better pray for Penny...

37. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

And you feel more qualified than Bill Parcells, Jeff Ireland, Tony Sparano, Dan Henning and David Lee to make that statement? (all 5 of which were probably involved in this draft decision)

I am tremendously impressed, please detail your credentials, this I gotta hear! :yes:

38. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    They didn't pick him as a full time starter either. Neither did 32 other teams. If they did pick him as a full time starter, doesn't that mean they messed up on Henne, which further disqualifies their opinion? Pat White was not brought in to be our full time starter.

IMHO.

djphinfan likes this.
  39. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    still don't get it?
    somebody help me out here