1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Miami really a sports town?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bumrush, Mar 25, 2013.

1. MAFishFan

MAFishFan Team Tannehill

Sep 20, 2011
    Massachusetts
    I don't live in Florida, so I can only relate it to where I live, but Boston is the same way. When a team is down, so is attendance. When the Patriots sucked, I used to walk up, day of game for my Dolphins tickets and sit where ever I wanted. When the Celtics were going through their decade of futility same deal. And don't let dumbass Red Sox fans fool you. No one gave a crap until Nomar came up. The only team up here with consistent, die hard fans is the Bruins. Those people are nuts. And I think it's probably like that everywhere. A crappy product, regardless of the real die hard fans, will always draw less. I go to Foxboro every year, pay a lot of money for my tickets to watch the Dolphins get crushed. Die hards are a rare breed today, especially with the time and money you have to invest in a team. But I can say this without a doubt, if I lived down there, I'd be at that stadium every chance I got. That's just how I am with the Dolphins. It doesn't make me a better or worse fan, I just love this team. No matter what.

Coral Reefer, Finrunner and shula_guy like this.
  2. gamblerx

gamblerx New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Homestead, FL
    I live in the area. No.

3. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Says the guy that hates every Miami Sports team except the Dolphins. Predictable.

4. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    So what is wrong with that? A guy from somewhere else who loves the Dolphins. That should be okay or is it self inclusive to love all the teams down there to be a Dolphins fan.
    That makes no sense.
    Predictable really?

5. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    The thread is about if Miami is a Sports Town, in case you missed it. A guy that hates every single team down here except one, chiming in with the opinion he had, is PREDICTABLE.

6. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    That is his only post in this thread. That wasn't fair. He can root for whoever he wants to. :lol:
    I can't stand the Heat or the Canes. So I'm predictable and not able to comprehend either?

7. gamblerx

gamblerx New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Homestead, FL
    I like the Heat. Attended many games before and after Wade. Especially that 07=08 season where I got a lot of free tickets. I like the Panthers and even the Miami Fusion(RIP). Don't really care for the Marlins. So, I don't really "hate" all Miami sport teams.

But you have to admit, Miami is not a sports town. It's more of a winning city with this "I WAS THERE!!" mentality. You can ask any Miami radio guys like Zaslow and LeBatard, they'll tell you the same thing I said. Heck, just go on the Metro Rail and ask any random dude. Same answer.

8. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    He has a knack for it.

9. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Zaslow is a homer goof. LeBatard is a self hating Miami fan.

10. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I love LeBatard. But anybody that goes on the air and does an hour about "Do we deserve this?" is not the greatest example of an authority on Miami Fandom.

Another rule I use..whoever gets FREE tickets can't talk either. (Zaslow sits in row 1 for his job)

Ozzy likes this.
  11. gamblerx

gamblerx New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Homestead, FL
    The difference between the two places is the attendance. In Boston, once a team is doing good, the arena/stadium starts rocking from start and end, regular season to playoffs. Here, other than the Dolphins, people only show up during the playoffs.

12. LMAO at anyone who thinks Miami is not a sports town. The university of Miami has a huge sports budget. Then the city is the home to teams in the NBA, MBL, and the NFL. Im guessing the PBA circuit is there too. With the sizeable Latino community it would not surprise me to learn there is semi-pro soccer there too. Boxing, Tennis, power boats, sailing, fishing, volleyball all are popular sports in that city. By my estimation Miami is one of the biggest sports towns there is. I really can not think of any citys more invested in sports.

13. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    So the Heat's 102% attendance? $450 nose bleeds for regular season games don't exist? A waiting list several thousand deep for season tickets doesn't exist?

I rest my case.

See what I mean WhiteIbanez?

Quick question...Who has had better attendance the last 15 years? Knicks, Celtics, Heat?

Ozzy likes this.
  14. MAFishFan

MAFishFan Team Tannehill

Sep 20, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Definitely not the Celtics. From Pitino until the Big 3 (minus a brief playoff run) that building was EMPTY. But as gamblerx said, when the teams are winning it's packed. The Pats are the prime example. And I think it goes further than Tuna and Bledsoe. I bet half of those knucklehead fans showed up with Brady. They might be the dumbest fans in football. No sense of history or what happened prior to 2001. Hell, I bet I know more about that crap franchise than 1/2 the fan base. I'm just glad they sucked when I was growing up. I got the Dolphins on TV every Sunday!

Ozzy and Section126 like this.
  15. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

No you don't. You live in Homestead where most of the imigrated population is.

16. Ozzy

Not when the teams suck for a period of time.

17. gamblerx

gamblerx New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Homestead, FL
    Yet you don't think most of Miami-Dade is immigrated...

It's not hard to get around the dump that's called Miami.

18. gamblerx

gamblerx New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Homestead, FL
    Rest your case. LOL. Explain to me why the AAA is so quiet and half-empty in most home games. Season tickets? LOL. People here don't show up until the playoffs.

QA : In playoffs, Miami, of course. Like I said, that's the only time when fans really show up. But really, Knicks and Celtics will tend to have more consistence attendance than Miami.

19. BigNastyDB13

BigNastyDB13 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Miami a sports town? Not even close. I've been to a handful of dolphin road games and I've been to 1 home game and the local Dolphins fans couldn't be more passive, less loud if they tried. Throw in the fact the fans are fickle and don't show up for football or baseball and you'd be hard pressed to come up with a worse sports town. I think a major problem is a lot of diehard fans don't live in Miami or even Florida for that matter. Too many transplants and immigrants and not enough true dolphins fans.

20. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009

Than again, anything to get out of the ****ing cold.

21. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    All that says to me is that Miami is a big market, has a name D1 university, and is attractive in the winter.

Yet when I tune in, I'm looking at lots of empty seats between the Dolphins and Marlins. The Heat are killing it, doing great.

Sure, Miami is better than Las Vegas and Portland. It's a middle of the road sports town, not upper tier. Not yet.

22. Ozzy

You do not have a clue as to what you're talking about.

23. Ozzy

Once again.....not a clue as to what you're talking about.

102 percent attendance is fans thru the gates

Section126 likes this.
  24. Ozzy

Its like ALMOST every NFL town. Win and the fans become rabid.

25. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    This....

There are very few markets where people will attend games en mass regardless of what the product on the field is producing.
    Those markets that have what you'd call large masses of "super fans", if some would take notice, are in markets that are much more blue collar dominated and entertainment options are quite a bit lower than in a place like S. FL. What some people are hoping Miami fans to be is actually as mythical a creature as a unicorn. :lol:

steveincolorado and Ozzy like this.
  26. Draconis1410

Draconis1410 New Member

Mar 14, 2013
    New York City
    This is quite true. Also I have to say a lot of the 'die hard' fans up north have teams that were from the beginning and have decades and generations to develop their "love" for their teams. Dolphins have only been around for less than 50 years. Other teams are still young in that barely any of the original fans have had their own kids to pass the "fandom" to.

Fans up north have really nothing else to do but watch football and sports. Witness a winter storm and everyone is just huddled up next to a TV/Radio to watch their local sports teams.

Miami is a decent sports town that has a lot of knowledgeable fans so it's getting there in terms of crazy sports town status, but with the amount of other distractions and the whole running on cuban time and walking like molasses, i doubt Miami will ever become super crazy to show up every game, every day.

Yankees fans can get to their games cause they have a storied franchise...look at the Mets, they suck. They're attendance is not that good either compared to the Yankees.

So in terms Miami being a super city for fans to show up to support, its not there. But in terms of Miami being a prime spot for sports to happen. Now that is what makes Miami a sports town. Would you rather be anywhere else to watch a sports event? Especially during the winter?

27. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    Most of those rapid sports towns are horrible places to live 6 months out of the year. There is nothing else to do but obsess and debate. Would you really trade Miami for Green Bay?

Maybe being an upper tier sports town is not what Miami should aspire to. Maybe being a good enough town (from a financial point of view) is sufficient as long as you have beaches, sunshine, boobs and bars.

If the Dolphins get good, really good, that stadium will pack and get loud. We've seen it with the Buccaneers years ago and again with the Saints.

Coral Reefer likes this.
  28. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    I'm sorry but all I retained out of that post was "Boobs".
    Is that wrong?

29. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    This. Being a football town isn't necessarily a great thing. There are a lot of things I'd rather my city be.

30. I would be interested in knowing the per capita stat on money spent compared to other cities

31. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Well.... from an outsiders perspective, and ONLY pertaining to football, I see this.

I live in Dallas. The weather is VERY comparable to Miami. So much so, its disturbing.
    Although the Cowboys were good more recently than the Phins, it has still been quite a while.
    Jerra did indeed build a huge albatross to make money, but even before that, in that wretched stadium, there were never any empty seats.

In STOCK comparison, I see lots and lots of empty seats when I watch the Dolphins. Hell, it's a running joke with our main adversaries.

I would say, compared to Dallas, which is very very comparable in every aspect, Miami does not fill up seats to NFL games like Dallas does...Actually, that goes for baseball as well.

32. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I really can't help it if you are gonna just make stuff up.

I am glad that i got you to show your agenda though.

See whiteibanez?

Anyway....no. For the last 15 years (this year makes 16) the Miami Heat jas had better attendance than the knicks or celtics, and trail only Chicago, Portland and los angeles in total % attendance.

Ozzy likes this.
  33. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009

I offer:

1. The massive hype surrounding the Cowboys every season.

2. Jeffry Loria.

34. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    The cowboy fan would give up their new stadium in a heart beat for ole Texas stadium, I've done the research, once again, ole stadium the fans were so close to the action, new stadium, the opposite..

35. please just stop with your utter nonsense

36. Ozzy

I agree but we have seen it in Miami already. Long before the Bucs or Saints. Too bad the product has drove many of us away lately.

37. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    The owner is making an offer to the community that they shouldn't refuse...if they fu&$ this up, then I would not trust this fanbase and community.

38. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Since Ross owns this stadium, then he should pay for the upgrades himself. Not someone that's not getting anything back.

39. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    The city has gotten a lot from the dolphins, it could get a lot more if they had half a brain, he said he would put it in writing that every penny will get paid back..I mean wtf..

Let me ask you this, if they decline his offer, and he decides not to fund the the other 43 %, and the city of Miami loses out on a couple superbowls, and the other events that a renovation can bring, your ok with Miami not being part of that prestigious hosting tradition ?

I think folks need to put their marlin pitchforks down and think this thru..

Do you not think the city has any obligation to help support a franchise that has brought so much to the region, especially if in the long run, it's not gonna cost them a penny.?

40. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

Much wisdom Dj.

Once again, with.the Cowboys "Deathstar" lots of extra revenue is already rolling in. In fact, it was just announced that when the NCAA goes the playoff route in 2014, Dallas gets the championship game.
    There are huge things going on in that building all the time.

I personally DESPISE Jerra Jones, but I respect him as a businessman.

djphinfan likes this.