1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Long best suited on left or right side?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Jul 1, 2008.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/.../sfl-flspdolphinlong01sbjul01,0,7701431.story

Crunkcore likes this.
  2. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Left side...let him earn all that money. Carey will be great on the right side IMO.

3. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Let him develop on the left side and let Carey be the All-Pro right tackle he is capable of being. Carey deserves it as he has been a team player, never being a distraction but always doing everything asked of him. Maybe this is the start of a great Miami Dolphin offensive line, something the Dolphins have missed for a long, long time.

gafinfan, cnc66 and HULKFish like this.
  4. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

He was drafted to play LT, he is making LT money, he will play LT per the HC, so where's the controversy? Sounds like a media-hyped problem to me.

5. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    dont they get tired of writing about the same crap. Long was an elite LT in college giving up only 2 sacks his entire college career... these writers need to get over it

6. Crunkcore

Crunkcore The Crunk One

Jun 17, 2008
    On the left side. They said he was a LT, so let him prove it on the field.

7. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

The pundents (and I was one of them) have said all along that the question is whether he is best suited on the right or left....Only tine on the left side will tell us for sure. One thing pretty much all the draftniks and so-called experts seem to agree on is that he'll be a great RT and they aren't all in agree-ance as to how good he'll be on the left....Again, time will tell us...

8. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    And that was with helping a statue QB like Henne. At least we don't have a immobile QB on our roster, oh wait...

9. Whitedolphin54

Whitedolphin54 From the land of legends Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    Somerset UK
    We pay all that money, he has to start at LT. It isn't like we have a line to die for. He should be our corner stone for years to come

10. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    Vernon Carey seems better suited to right than left so even if Long is better suited to the Right it will make us stronger overall to have him on the Left.

11. Marino1983

Marino1983 Junior Member

Mar 23, 2008
    It is interesting in that this question was circulating feverishly as to the reason that the phins should draft Jake Long...

I myself wanted C Long but feel that Jake will be an anchor for this team a very substantial time..

I some how believe that the Tuna will do everything possible to make this guy a LT even if it turns out to be like tring to insert a square peg into a round hole...:lol:

Marino1983

12. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    L.T. next question!

13. inFINSible

inFINSible Bad ministrator

Nov 26, 2007
    I think we should take the LT we drafted number 1 overall and play him at LT and then have everyone yell, "Ta-Daaa!" every time he lines up. Like it's a magic trick.

14. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    For the longest time I thought he would be better suited on the Right side, but sometimes you just have to look down and look at the stats such as the fact that nobody, aside from Vernon Gholston, sacked the Quarterback in 2007 when they went against Jake Long. He was taken with the 1st overall pick for a reason, because Parcells and others in the organization believe he is there Ogden, Pace, Thomas, whomever you want to use.

Right now, I think Long is a Left Tackle and thats that. In the future, if he struggles, he could become a very good run blocking Right Tackle, but for some reason I'm back to believing he could be a dominant LT.

inFINSible likes this.
  15. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Whoooooooa. lol Im sure thats a mindblowing idea for a lot of people, unfortunately.

16. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

He'd be a phenomenal right tackle, but it would also be a waste of Left Tackle talent.

Besides, there are guys who play Center AND Guard, Guard AND tackle... and people are gabbing about the difference between playing Right or Left tackle??? Jesus, you'd think we'd asked an Olympic fencer to learn to play shortstop for the Yankees.

Just last year Vernon went from RT to LT on our team alone. And I'll wager it happened elsewhere in the league. OT spots may not be identical, but the players CAN play more than one spot along the line. Actually, many many O-linemen can play more than one spot on the line. It's kinda expected for you to be able to do so.

He will be a great left tackle, but not in his first year. There will still be a learning curve, of course.

Bpk

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
    alen1 likes this.