1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it really this quiet before training camp?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Lee2000, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    Other than bone head decisions by players and departing CEOs, kind of quiet. I guess the contract situation is pretty much done other than Jordan and the possibility of signing a fullback.

2. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    It was quiet till you started yapping.

Paul 13, xphinfanx, Lee2000 and 2 others like this.
  3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Pretty soon we're going to run up against the deadline for Dion Jordan to sign before camp and then there's going to be some more chatter.

Dion is represented by Octagon. Octagon represented Whitney Mercilus (#26 overall) and Brandon Weeden (#22 overall) a year ago. Mercilus signed insanely early and it seemed like a player directive because he didn't want to worry about anything other than football. He signed before the Texans could even sign their 3rd round picks which is totally backward. Weeden though had been through this before and he let his agents do what they do, and they put the screws to the Browns and got the best they could from them on the offset issue. The player picked immediately before Weeden got half of his fourth year guaranteed (which means partial offset language in fourth year) and the player picked immediately after Weeden got none of it guaranteed (which means full offset language in fourth year), and Octagon held out until they could get Weeden's fourth year partially guaranteed (partial offset, fourth year). At the time Weeden signed, he and Kendall Wright were the only players picked outside the top 12 that had yet to sign their contracts. So Octagon seemed pretty willing to dig in on the issue.

Now the Dolphins have a #3 overall pick where a year ago no player in the top 7 had to accept offset language in any part of his deal. The Eagles are digging in for a fight with Lane Johnson on this issue, and the Browns are potentially digging in for a fight with Barkevious Mingo on it.

I think this could go on for a while.

4. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Yeah. Shut up already.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  5. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    The Dion Jordan saga will be interesting for sure. You know with this team nothing can ever be just "quiet."

6. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Yeah pretty soon we're going to hear about Reshad Jones a t-shirt that says "Osama bin Laden wasn't really that bad, if you think about it..."

7. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    The offset language issue is the absolute dumbest thing to hold up a contract about. Only NFL GMs who think they are too smart for school could take a system designed to be completely idiot proof and make it complicated.

I think it was Jason Cole who reported that these teams are concerned about on average $600,000 on the SLIGHT chance you cut your first round pick before the end of his rookie contract.

8. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, the other reason is no real longshots stood out in mini camp, so we pretty much know who will play were.

There were no DBess's this year, the only guys who mildly surprised were Lee Robinson and Derrick Shelby.

And I don't think Robinson even has a youtube highlight clip.

Usually there is a long shot player who catches fire in mini camp giving gist for the forum..not this year.

9. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    Kovacs got some love for some of his play in camp. I hope when pads go on the real guys show up and the imposters move on. We can get a much better assessment of the linemen in particular.

10. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    All I know is I don't like the hard stance by our front office, the impact of the missing time for a hi profile rookie outweighs the six figures your gonna save..to dig your feet in the sand and say your gonna re'enter the draft doesn't jive with how I view the topic, if I'm Gm, I picked the prospect, I'm not gonna hold him hostage if I ****ed up on my eval.

DOLPHAN1 and ckparrothead like this.
  11. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Exactly, and leaves us with nothing really to post threads about.

Even then in TC I give it a couple of days as some guys shine at first then wear down.

12. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Free OBL!

ckparrothead likes this.
  13. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Actually, as Philbin himself has said (and as is the case on every team, every year), you never know about a player for certain until they get the pads on. So, we really don't know for certain about the players (even though there are clear favorites).

14. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    There's been no (real) off-field issues as far as players are concerned. No one drove a truck into a police officer. No one slipped on a McDonald's bag and stabbed themselves. No one head-butted a VH1 reality show star. Jarrell Root isn't coming to camp this year.

As padre said, if you haven't been living under a rock, you've got a pretty good idea of who is going to play where and what the (few) spots are that are up for a re-shuffling are (RB, maybe OL, CB).

The only real drama at this point is whether or not we sign a (damn good) FB, and whether or not Dion Jordan gets in camp on time; but that story was already played out last year with Tannehill. Apparently Miami is not signing Vonta Leach...

Basically, the Dolphins are boring (sacrasm).

P h i N s A N i T y and FinsUp like this.
  15. FinsUp

FinsUp New Member

Apr 5, 2013
    New York, NY
    :lol:

16. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    I don't mind boring offseasons when it comes to drama and team members.

17. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    [​IMG]

18. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Potato famines aren't exciting.

19. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Schmoo, your hate of Irish is showing again.....think Vernon gholston and vy....it can happen... Look, I want our fo looking out for not just this year, but the next and the next.... It's the only real negotiating there is... It really makes no never mind to me, as a fan, but it must mean something important enough for them to pay attn to it... The thing is, Jordan likely wont end up a starter this year anyway...so holding their ground just might make some sense after all.

toto likes this.
  20. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    A new word. I love it... Holy Sarcasm, Batman!!!

I hope that the choices of who to cut this year are no where near as obvious as they have been in years past. For a change, I would love to have some second stringers who could start for other teams than have starters who would be second-string on other teams.