1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it a pyramid or is it a mountain/hill?

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by alen1, May 30, 2008.

1. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    There has been a lot of talk lately about the pyramid dug up in my home country of Bosnia. A bosnian explorer named Semir Osmanagic believes he has dug up Europe's first pyramids. He says that they are over 12,000 years old. Critics say that it is not a pyramid because the found walls and balconies are not a signs of a pyramid.

Here is a link to the questioning of the pyramid: http://www.bosnian-pyramid.net/Is-t...-no-evidence-of-pyramid-under-hill-in-Bosnia/

Those critics believe that there isn't a pyramid but there was a thermal satellite analysis done and it indicated a bosnian pyramid.

[​IMG]

Here is a link to Osmanagic's quotes regarding his discovery: http://www.bosnian-pyramid.com/pyramid1.php

Now I ask you, what do you believe of this?

This is the latest photo of the discovery : [​IMG]

Regan21286 and unluckyluciano like this.
  2. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    looks like a dang pyramid to me

azfinfanmang, gafinfan and alen1 like this.
  3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    That's what I am thinking, I discussed it with my dad and he said the same. I don't understand what the critics are seeing. They are superior in knowledge to me of course but if it looks like a pyramid, I would have to say theres a good chance it is one.

4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    The Egyptian geologist stated that it was man-made but a British archaeologist stated that it was " a natural strange formation".

Is it even possible to have something like this form naturally?

5. cnc66

Nov 23, 2007
    They could have used an existing feature and excavated a structure. Kind of resembled an Aztec/Inca stepped pyramid to me.. the early Egyptian efforts were step pyramids too.

6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    True. Would it still be considered an original man-made pyramid or would it change its outlook because they built up the structure on top of land that was already formed? Also, would it still be considered a pyramid overall ? It seems like this discovery will need some more time to develop new theories and information because it seems to early to conclude anything.

7. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    It's alien. :whistling:

alen1 likes this.
  8. cnc66

Nov 23, 2007
    no, he's alen

azfinfanmang and alen1 like this.
  9. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Reminds me of something we were told before the ship left for the SCS. Anything you see out there that looks like a straight line is man made. Those sure look like straight lines to me.

Celtkin likes this.
  10. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    Heh, if it was built from the ground up it's a pyramid.

11. cnc66

Nov 23, 2007
    so in your mind, from the ground down won't qualify?

opfinistic and gafinfan like this.
  12. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Pyramids are found in many ancient cultures because they are the simplest and most logical way to build a high man made structure.We are talling about people who only had basic natural materials to work with .They did not have the benefit of steel reinforcement so they could not build skyscraper type of structures to achieve heigth

They were usually built to glorify the gods or house the priests or nobility or those of high stature in their respective societies.

The theory was that the higher you built a structure the closer you would be to the gods . Consequently the higher you lived in a structure the more important you would be in that society.

In addition a high structure provides a better defense against enemies.

Having said that I think that this particular pyramid is natural .If there was an advanced culture in that region there would be more pyramids and more evidence of its existence .

Its not unusual to have straight lines and geometric shapes found in nature .

alen1 likes this.
  13. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Maybe both? :wink2:

14. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    the 'Bosnian Pyramid of the Sun' foundation, whatever that is, said the geologist said that. As far as I can tell, there is no direct quote from any geologist save..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosnian_pyramids

There are no absolute dates at all, let alone any that would pin it between 12,000 and 500 BC. If I had to guess, I would say there's a later site on the top and sides. It's not uncommon for big hilltops to see fortifications during time of large-scale warfare, complete with wall, terraces, wells etc.

This guy is tunneling through the stuff, potentially wrecking Bosnian heritage, try desperately to find something that would suggest an Atlantis connection.

Last edited: May 30, 2008
    gafinfan, CrunchTime and alen1 like this.
  15. pocoloco

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    If this is 'definitely' a pyramid, then Vermont and New Hampshire were the centers of the universe

[​IMG]

16. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I am not a history major or anything, however I do remember from my history class that there are a few advanced cultures that would not have any evidence if it wasn't for the fact that the Egyptians kept really good records.

alen1 likes this.
  17. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    There is no evidence that the ability to build pyramids was something one culture borrowed from another .

That was Erick Von Daniken theory in his book The Chariots of the Gods.He theorized that the Mayan pyramids were somehow related to the egyptian pyramids and that both cultures were taught how to make pyramids by extraterrestial beings :shifty:.

Pyramids were common to American indians in the mississippi basin,to the Mayans in Central America and the Incas in South America.The pyramids were used for completely different purposes.No relation.

There were pyramids in Mesopotania ,southeast asia again used for different purposes .

The conclusion many experts have made is that if an ancient culture wanted to build a high structure for any reason it would have to be a pyramid .:yes:

18. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    That was prior to it being uncovered from my understanding.

19. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't understand, than how did they come up with it being over 12,000 years old?

http://www.bosnian-pyramid.com/pyramid1.php

20. pocoloco

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    No idea, at least according to Wiki he claimed to have been misquoted, actually saying construction began sometime between 12,000 and 500 BC. There's no evidence to support that claim that I've found, so I suppose it is his hunch

The problem I have with the 'excavations' is not that they're done by an amateur. Bosnia, after all, has no formal archaeology office or programs. The issue is that he already has his mind made up, and if he finds some late period artifacts, chances are they'll get swept under the rug. The man, after all, has sunk 20 grand of his own money into this thing.

The very worst archaeology projects are ones where the researchers' minds are already made up. He's decided this is a pyramid, perhaps the oldest in the world, and he's out to prove it by selectively inviting geologists and lifting quotes from them. The man's excavation notes are a nightmare. He's after architecture, not artifacts, meaning that a whole class of data (if it even exists) is getting thrown over his shoulder

This is good for some tourism, but on the whole, really really bad for understanding Bosnian prehistory or history. Epically bad if it is a pyramid

Celtkin, gafinfan and alen1 like this.
  21. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    Carbon dating probably from old vegetation or rubble from previous human habitation

alen1 likes this.
  22. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Ooo, makes sense.

23. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Damn, and I got all happy lol.

24. pocoloco

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    if you want to compare this to a bona-fide case of someone finding a gigantic and early pyramid, google El Mirador in lowland Guatemala. It was probably a preClassic Maya 'city' with a pyramid rivaling any of the Old World ones (though pyramids in the Americas came in all shapes and sizes and generally functioned much much differently).

25. pocoloco

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    they haven't got anything to carbon date. For those who don't know how it works, you can only carbon date stuff that was once alive, and then only if there is enough carbon (though you don't need much) and if it hasn't been contaminated

also from Wiki

Celtkin likes this.
  26. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Wiki is not that reliable though but it all does make sense.

If they haven't found anything then how the hell are they getting these dates? Seems all made up from one big *** hill if you ask me.

27. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I found this, pretty lengthy.

http://www.bosnian-pyramid.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=822

If you go to the link, theres more information on the bottom. There is detailed pictures of the area surrounding the pyramid.

28. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    This stood out from the information I posted above.

29. ToMaHaWk

ToMaHaWk New Member

May 18, 2008
    Countdown County
    I'm kind of confused about the picture you provided alen. The pictures I see are just of, what appears to me, as a pyramidal-shaped hill, while the one you had in your first post actually seems to be a structure of some sort (which to me does have signs of being an actual pyramids).

Because this picture (which is just a smaller/different angled viersion of the one on the Bosnian Pyramid website)...

[​IMG]

...differs greatly from the picture in your first post.

I have to agree that the picture you provided does look a bit like the Mayan/Aztec/Incan style but I have a question...are those actually pyramids that they built? I mean I only know specifically about the Ancient Egyptian pyramids, but I'm sure you can get really technical and specific with the classifications. For example, would you consider the Ancient Sumerian ziggurats (which were religious temples, similar in some ways to Ancient Egyptian pyramids) a pyramid?

Sorry about going on my philosophical/speculative tangent of actually coming up with a definition of a pyramid. I find it's actually really helpful...or entertaining to say the least.

30. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I know what your saying and I'm confused as well. I really don't know what to believe anymore considering the information that pocoloco provided was very insightful. The image you provided failed to show up for some reason but I did get a look at it because of the link. The image I found was the "pyramid" uncovered or "cleaned up". The one you provided I believe was a picture of the hill, mountain or whichever they wish to call it when it was first looked at as a possible ancient structure.

As for the pyramids being actually built, I don't believe we know that yet. It may have been built on top of a structure that was already there like cnc stated but it may have been formed from nature.

The ancient Sumerian ziggurats seem to look like pyramids to me. They also seem to be more advanced pyramids than others.

No problem with the lesson bro, I don't mind. I don't mind learning about history at all. If you were talking about Chemistry, that would be a completely different story lol.

31. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Forgot to add something.

The pyramids are said to be built over 12,000 years ago according to Osmanagic, the man who discovered this structure. But we do not have any information from where he got that, seems like an educated guess by Osmanagic.

32. pocoloco

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    on the subject of pyramids, they really do differ quite greatly. Crunch, I think, is spot on to say they're a common solution to a common problem.
    The Incas, as far as I know, never constructed pyramids of their own. They build impressive walls, roads and re-sculpted hills, but the South American versions belong largely to the Moche (in fact, these are the biggest in the Americas I think) and at least one example at the site of Tiwanaku, both previous to the Incas. The Incas co-opted large mounds at the oracle site of Pachacamac near Lima, Peru, but weren't responsible for the construction.

alen1 likes this.
  33. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah they do. I was looking at the Ancient Sumerian ziggurats that Tomahawk mentioned and they seemed to be more advanced or larger to say the least. The thing I noticed was that they had a long entrance to the pyramid. I am not sure why they have that long entrance because that would put them in greater harms way, wouldn't it?

34. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    The Incas conquered another native tribe in the mountains of Peru who had a pyramid cult .All the major families had their own pyramids and they would live in them in platforms built on top of their pyramids.

It was only recently discovered.Until that time they thought the pyramids were natural because the area is surrounded by mountains.

When I get time I will try to find a reference to it.

alen1 likes this.
  35. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Do you think that could be the case with this or is this just a very steep hill/mountain?

36. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    alen1 likes this.
  37. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    Its possible but improbable.Only an excavation would confirm that although I suppose a ground and density device could be used too

alen1 likes this.
  38. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Interesting. Hopefully they get to the bottom of this sooner or later so we know something of this. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions bro :up:.

Also, thanks for the links. I started reading and I noticed that Peru's pyramids have flat tops like Mexico's, also mentioned in the article. It seems like all or most Latin American pyramids were structured with flat tops. The interesting thing I find about the flat top pyramids is that despite it being a religious center, it is created to come closer to the god and for the tribes to feel like they have an advantage over other tribes by being "closer" to god, yet they have a flat top.

CrunchTime likes this.
  39. pocoloco

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    All those are earlier than the Inca, who didn't get rolling until after 1400 till the Spanish. A lot of the sites that reference cosmic energy, Atlantis and so forth typically confuse and blur together most prehistoric traditions in the Americas. For example, I googled Inca pyramid and got a picture of Chichen Itza (Mexico, 1200-1400 AD), Huaca del Sol (Peru 200-800 AD) and various Lima Peru ones, every single one built earlier. The Inca were largely highlanders and didn't deal well with the coastal folk, engaging in a very long and costly war with the Chimu just prior to Spanish arrival.

All the biggest pyramids are on the north coast of Peru, and like most other places in the world, some of the very biggest monuments are the earliest in the area's sequence. The Initial Period (1800-200 BC) monuments are some of the absolute largest in the world but aren't pyramids in the classic sense, they are U-shaped and aren't beside sizeable habitations. Caral is a version of this and a currently researched site to look up if you guys are interested. El Paraiso, I think, is the biggest. Cerro Sechin and Sechin Alto are the coolest.

CrunchTime and alen1 like this.
  40. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    [​IMG]???