1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Homosexuality a Choice?

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by The_Dark_Knight, Oct 21, 2012.

1. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    For those who are interested in having an objective discussion, this is an intriguing article.

2. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    Does it matter?

CaribPhin, Daben, ToddPhin and 6 others like this.
  3. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Regardless of it being a choice or not, you're a terrible human being if you choose to make life harder for these people because you don't like what or who they do.

4. Soundwave

Soundwave Phins Sympathizer..

Apr 15, 2008
    i think folks on your side of the fence should take that to heart.

having said that, being gay is not a choice

5. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    What are you suggesting? That people should be nicer to the anti-homosexuality crowd?

Pointing out just how objectionable certain elements of society have been in pretty important in affecting social change in these kinds of situations. Making sure that the anti-homosexuality crowd knows how much an increasing percentage of society thinks that they are horrifying *******s is pretty effective(and just). Out and out racists don't like being called racist for the most part.

unifiedtheory and Bumrush like this.
  6. OkiePhin

OkiePhin Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Being attracted to a certain lifestyle is not a choice. Indulging in that lifestyle is a choice.

7. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I never once sat on my bed and said "hmm ok I think I will like women"

I just am attracted to them. I didn't choose to be straight I don't think gays chose to be that way.

I had a gay second aunt. Tried marrying a man. Never worked. Had been beaten multiple times outside of gay clubs etc. she told me one time "Chris, why would I choose to be abused and looked down on this way? I tried to be 'normal' it just never works that way"

I believe her.

8. Jimmy James

Jimmy James Ron Swanson

Dec 11, 2007
    Being predisposed to death if you don't consume water is not a choice. Drinking water is a choice.

I put it that way to both agree with you and to suggest that it is unnatural to expect large groups of people to refrain from expressing their inborn sexual identity.

I think it's fair to say it's a failing of our understanding and our language to say it's either a choice or an inborn trait. I think it's both and it's neither. It's difficult to express what it is beyond that.

unifiedtheory and Celtkin like this.
  9. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    And the objectivity immediately went right out the window, completely ignoring the science all together int he article...just as I knew it would.

:pity:

10. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    Does anyone realistically expect gay people to choose to live a life of total celibacy in order to conform? Because that's what it amounts to if they're not attracted to the opposite sex.

11. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    That's not really science IMO.

12. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    That worked out real well for the Catholic Church, didn't it??? :glare:

ToddPhin likes this.
  13. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    There is no objectivity when it comes to human rights.

Gays should not be discriminated against or judged for any reason. Whether they choose to be gay or are born gay, it is none of our business to tell him how to act, or why they act. We should embrace diversity as a society. Isn't that what America is about?

I've also had the opportunity to be around a large gay population since I grew up in Miami Beach. Most of the openly gay people I met NEVER dated the opposite sex and recall being gay from early childhood. I think many of the people that harbor illwill towards homesexuals are either homosexual themselves and can't cope with their feelings, or have never been exposed to openly gay people.

ToddPhin, Vinny Fins, Mainge and 3 others like this.
  14. GreenMonster

GreenMonster New Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Atlanta
    It's why I am so for Polygamy, it's the next logical step.

I do believe you are born gay, but I also believe some is just lifestyle choice. I wouldn't think any women or man that has had sexual relations with someone of the same sex automatically gay. Obviously in 2012 this is accepted only with women.

I once read a great piece on the recidivism rates on a study of lesbians relationships.

15. jupiterfin

jupiterfin Mild Irritant

Nov 29, 2007
    Jupiter Florida
    The author stated that because smokers can quit smoking by not smoking anymore, homosexuals can learn to stop being gay, if they stop engaging in homosexual acts. I think that is rubbish. And I think it being a choice is rubbish. You don't just wake up one morning and say "I want to put a **** in my mouth". It doesn't happen like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SICK likes this.
  16. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    if we are in fact looking at this scientifically, then it being a choice would mean it is some sort of chemical reaction that takes place in the body. In other words it is always physiological.
    Modifying behavior if it is genetic is not as simple as turning on or off a gene as multiple genes can be responsible for the behavior.

17. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    ho·mo·sex·u·al·i·ty: noun
    sexual desire or behavior directed toward a person or persons of one's own sex.

People need to understand that sexual desire for one's own sex makes you a homosexual, regardless if you act on it or not. Anyone can choose to not have sex of any kind. If I was celibate, I'd still be straight, just a celibate homosexual is still homosexual.

Sexual desire for a male or female is not a choice. I never chose to be straight, I just am. If you argue that sexual desire is a choice, then you must also explain at what point you chose to not be gay...because if it is a choice at some point you were attracted to both males and females then chose to be straight.

SICK, ToddPhin, Mainge and 3 others like this.
  18. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    After my "shotgun blast" it seems some of you are making intelligent arguments however, the overall gist of the article seems to be overlooked in the process of making your arguments. The question posed was is homosexuality a choice?

I highlighted certain aspects of the article which supports and also defuses the thought process that homosexuals are born to be homosexuals by uillustrating genetics in other behaviors of human beings.

Science has identified a gene that predisposes to people to alcoholism. Does this mean that just because one possesses this gene they are doomed to be alcoholics?

Science has identified a gene that predisposes people to hostility. Does this mean that just because someone possesses this gene they are doom to be psychopaths?

Sciene has progressed to the point that many traits of people can be predicted based on genetics and it's often celebrated, or used as a crutch to condone behavior,rationalizing it's not someone's fault due to their genetic makeup but it also seems to me that when political issues arise, genetics is rationalized to suit one's own personal point of view, regardless of the science involved. This has already been seen thus far in this thread.

Is homosexuality a choice? I have my own opinions but then again, I'm not a geneticist who can say for certainty one way or the other. I am a believer howver that environment has more to do with a person, the choices they make and the lives they live more than anything

19. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Again the article and many others are not understanding the distinction of what constitutes homosexuality.

Just being attracted to someone of the same sex whether they act on it or not, makes someone a homosexual. That is not a choice.

ToddPhin and Stitches like this.
  20. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I beg to differ...

I know of a few females back in college before I enlisted in the army who were sadly and tragically molested and/or raped by either by their father or another male family member who CHOSE homosexuality as their lifestyle as the thought of a man touching them was repulsive to them.

That was a conscious CHOICE on their part.

21. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohhhhhhhhhh ok, because a couple of women you know did that, then homosexuality is a choice.

Fine. When did you decide you were no longer attracted to men?

ToddPhin likes this.
  22. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    That doesn't sound like a choice at all. That sounds like a need if I ever heard of one. A need to adapt and live the only way they can.

Needs and desires aren't choices. The actions we take are always choices. Every time we engage in any activity, its a choice. What feels right to us is not. A man having sex with a man, or a monkey eating a banana. Desire-choice.

On another note, not related to you personally TDK, This whole notion of homosexuality and choice is barbaric. God used to tell us that only white folk were his real children too. There is nothing like the eternal embarrassment of being on the wrong side of history.

SICK, ToddPhin, Mainge and 3 others like this.
  23. jupiterfin

jupiterfin Mild Irritant

Nov 29, 2007
    Jupiter Florida

So, basically, if you had been adopted at a young age by 2 homosexual men, you would be enjoying male sodomy today? You're such a bear!

SICK likes this.
  24. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    It cant be a choice, cant be....

I got a buddy who came out of the closet a few months backl at the age of 41.....Dude is a radical conservative like Fin-D is to liberals, religious (not southern religious aka lunatic), etc etc....When he came out and told us about how bad he hates himself and his life because of it, it was pretty telling, and here is a dude who tried for years to be hetero, banged a bunch of chicks actually but in the end he was tired of hiding it....

I think there are instances where it is learned behavior/choice like chicks in prison for instance.....but no overall it isnt a choice...

SICK, ToddPhin and Mainge like this.
  25. Jimmy James

Jimmy James Ron Swanson

Dec 11, 2007
    I think some people have sexual rigidity inbuilt while others have sexual flexibility inbuilt. I think there are some people I could never imagine having sex with a man or with a woman, knowing them well. There are other people I know who could very easily pull off the bi thing. I think that's part of what creates some confusion here.

Pandarilla likes this.
  26. Do people choose to believe in God or is faith something that you can not control whether or not you have it. You can control the behavior of worsphipping a diety but you cant control what you believe. IMO being gay is similiar, you can control how you have sex but you can not control who you are attracted to.

Pandarilla likes this.
  27. cdz12250

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    Dude, don't trouble yourself with this kind of conundrum. If you want to take it up the bunghole, it's because you're gay. Otherwise it would never occur to you.

28. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    That article was so terribly written my eyes started bleeding.

Mainge and finyank13 like this.
  29. Vinny Fins

Vinny Fins Feisty Brooklyn dolfan ️‍

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    I didnt choose to be gay. The implication is insulting.

But hey, if it's a choice it lets people **** on our rights conscience free.

unifiedtheory, SICK, Sleepy and 3 others like this.
  30. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    F*** science on this topic.... F*** it in the *ss.
    It doesn't take a Harvard grad using millions of grant dollars mapping genes and so forth to know we're born attracted to whomever the hell we're attracted to, be it man or woman.

I'm gonna take a blind dart throw here that these studies & "posed life questions" are conducted by straight people who have never met a real-life homosexual. LOL.

Pandarilla likes this.
  31. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I despise when obtuse-minded individuals ignorantly & arrogantly try to explain away what others feel when the subject is as foreign to them as ancient Mayan astrology. (That's not directed toward TDK by the way)

32. Yellow Snowman

Yellow Snowman New Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Some are born that way, some are conditioned/become that way. In the end it doesnt matter. Enjoy and live your life.

SICK, Sleepy and Mainge like this.
  33. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Good points to build on. Another point of confusion would be whether or not one believes in reincarnation. If so, while the body and mind may have strong tendencies towards homosexuality, it's likely the residue from past life experience has firmly entrenched (I know, lol) you in a body that favors sense experience.

Whatever happened to just being really bored?

The more intriguing question is whether or not the military is in possession of the "Gay" bomb. Bisphenol-A is already effeminizing the West, but rumors of the gay bomb is something else entirely.

Ahhh sensuality, the yellow brick road that leads to Homosexual Oz.

BTW- if I'm ever born female, best believe I'd be lesbian. Not a butch one, just a friendly playful thing between us girls. I don't even know where lesbians get off being counted as gay. It only distorts your metaphysical essence when you take it up the A.

Me, personally, if I could just please have my orgasm without all this fuss, it would suit me just fine... Without the use of electricity or clamps either, you jarheads.

Sleepy and ToddPhin like this.
  34. Celtkin

Celtkin <B>Webmaster</b> Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    The short answer is that there is a wealth of biological evidence that dispute that sexuality is a "choice".

SICK and Fin D like this.
  35. cdz12250

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    Acting out homosexuality in public is the only component of it that is really a choice, as a public display of affection between a man and a woman is a choice. To what extent and at what point we can ask each to get a room is the only issue left for debate after we've considered both the science and common sense.

Seriously, who would choose to be gay? The societal downside at present is too great. But if you are gay, to what extent should society be able to demand that you either stay celibate or keep it in the closet?

36. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    It's in the grey. There are those that are more attracted to more men, others less. Some become gay by their circumstances (all those ancient history Greek/young boys things), others are naturally attracted at a young age.

37. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Hey guys I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today and I like dudes!

SICK, Celtkin, Stitches and 1 other person like this.
  38. Thats cool.... Send me your women, I practice crop rotation and they're due

Stitches and Frumundah Finnatic like this.