1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Henne What's Wrong With Our Recievers? (LONG)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Shamboubou, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Shamboubou

Shamboubou Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Well we all know what opinions are like, but lets see what everybody thinks. I dont want this thread to be they suck or this and that. I want to explore why our WR position has looked so bad.

I have my own personal theory that ties in with what other people think. I'll first start out by saying that I dont think we really have the most talent at the position, but how are we really using the talent that we have?

I'm not going to turn this into a Henne bashing either, but I think Henne might have something to do with why our WR's really have looked bad. I do take into account that it was Henne's first year as a starter, I think he really made some good plays, but also showed where he needs to improve. Anybody that watched the games this year knows that Henne needs to improve his touch pass.

Then there is the other problem that I found with Henne. I'm not going to blame this as much on him as I'm going to blame the coaching staff. I think the problem with our WR's this year is that Henne is getting rid of the ball way to quickly. I know in training camp this year they were using the buzzer for Henne to make him get rid of the ball in 3 seconds, but I think this really hurts our team. I understand that we dont want him hanging onto the ball all day taking sack, but I also dont think we need to get rid of the ball in 3 seconds when they are rushing 3 people and there is good pass protection infront of him. Something that really would help this offseason is for Henne to really work on reading the defense and knowing when he's got that extra second and half and when he really does need to get rid of the ball quickly.

The next problem that I really see is that it seems like the routes our recievers run are either 10 or less or 30 or more. It doesn't seem like we have very many routes that get our reciever 15-20 yards down field. I dont know if that is because we started with Pennington this year or what, I just feel like this route has been missing from our team for a long time.

Finally its easy to say that we struggle because we dont have talent. Like I said before I dont think we have the most talented WR's in the NFL, but I do think that we have talent. I really think we have more talent than most people realize. I just think we need to learn how to make the most of the talent we have.

So lets hear your thoughts and ideas. Just been something I've been thinking all year about. Because I really think that one day we are going to do something like let Ginn go and he's going to put another jersey on and just completely kill it.

Steve-Mo and jdang307 like this.
  2. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Sorry you spent so much time writing this thread but I'll chime in with a one word answer.

NO

3. dolphan117

dolphan117 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Honestly no, I dont think so.

Lets keep in mind these receivers looked even worse with Pennington under center and it wasnt until later in the year with Henne that they started to play their best football. Still not great as a unit but Bess finished strong, Greg made more plays, and Hartline started to show that he could be a good number 2 in this league.

4. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I wouldn't say Henne is what's wrong with our receivers. He's certainly part of the problems that we had this year with that group though. It's easy to see with Bess and Ginn's drops the first few weeks that he played that they weren't used to him. I'm not really sure about the quick release thing, I never payed much attention to that. Henne seemed to hit the intermediate routes a bit more than Pennington though so I'm not sure that's a problem. Next year they will all have a lot more chemistry with each other, and hopefully we can get a TE who is a threat in the seam to open things up even more. Pennington really benefited from having Martin do that, hopefully we can get the same thing for Henne.

5. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I don't believe so.

6. dolphan117

dolphan117 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    While I think its certainly true that with Henne's arm he throws with a lot more velocity then Pennington, which makes it a little harder to catch and leads to some drops thats just something you live with and demand your receivers get used to.

7. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    I don't think it's crazy to say that at times Henne hurt our receivers just like at times our receivers hurt Henne. His passes weren't always the most accurate, which makes things harder for our receivers.

Stringer Bell likes this.
  8. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    No.

9. shaunm000

shaunm000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Oviedo
    Henne is the best QB weve had in 10 years. I really dont think hes the problem.

However, he does throw lasers and sometimes i think these WRs we have arent ready to catch a ball thats coming at them that fast.

10. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Henne is a 1st year starter and a second year pro. I think its still too early to start faulting him as to whats wrong with the Dolphins receivers or offense. The Dolphin receiver position is still unsettled with young guys still learning the game as a Pro and there is no veteran receiver presence to anchor the receiver position and to be a positive influence over the young receivers. But thats JMO.

hugoguzman likes this.
  11. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't think Henne is the problem, but I also don't think he's at the point where he helps the WRs either. As the game slows down he won't gun it in there when he doesn't need to and he'll learn more about throwing the WRs open. He'll also just develop better timing with the WRs (and they with him).

So I could see how he could appear to be part of the problem compared to CP, who really made things easy for the WRs. But I don't see Henne as the problem compared to most QBs. And I think he'll become more WR friendly with time.

12. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    NO.

Only Fault Henne has is the laser ball from 10 feet away.

needs to "regulate" his arm.

He is gonna be good. Gonna need some skill guys to be great.

13. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I would say Chad Pennington in 2008 was much much better than Chad Henne in 2009.

Dol-Fan Dupree and Agua like this.
  14. bluehaze

bluehaze New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Damn, that's a long post. Now put down the bottle and get some rest! :lol:

TheAnswer385 likes this.
  15. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod Season Ticket Holder

Nov 23, 2007
    Gainesville Florida
    He is not near as accurate as Pennington is.

A better QB could place the ball better. It's simple to understand.

Give him a year or so.

He did not make our WRs worse, he simply traded us a stronger arm for a less accurate one.

NorFlaFin likes this.
  16. shaunm000

shaunm000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Oviedo
    I would say Ronnie Brown in 2008 was better than Ronnie Brown in 2009 too.
    Will Allen in 2008 was better than Will Allen in 2009
    Matt Roth in 2008 was better than Matt Roth in 2009

I see where you are coming from, but Chad Pennington in 2009 was 0-3. So this argument could go either way.

17. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    He just said that Henne was the best QB on this team in ten years, and I don't think thats true.

18. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Friend Shamboubou : courageous thread
    & a thread that needed to be posted
    having said that
    I think ChadHenne is the right guy
    however
    I would like to see Pennington return
    to compete for the start
    & continue mentoring Henne
    helping out w/ the offense
    (as a PlayerCoach he would be invaluable)
    & he could conceivably win the start

competition is the elixir of success :yes: there can be no entitlements

19. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Go through all 32 teams, and count how many have 2 WRs better than anyone we have... and tell me how many you come up with.

I'll save you the time... theres 20 of them. 20!!!

20. felly smarts

felly smarts New Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Sorry, but no. We just don't have the big threat. We are fortunate to have a WR in Bess that could turn into a Welkerish type WR. Who knows the potential Hartline coud have. And we have a good TJ Whosyourmamma type in Camarillo. But no number 1. Sure Henne had his hick ups, but is he our problem? NO. I think coaching is a big issue on the WR side and TE side. We have all seen the potential but nobody has the consistancy. Fazano went from good to mediocre, Ginn never got it together this year at all, Camarillo had a bad start but came on in the end, Hartline really was a nice breath of fresh air in the end there and Bess...I gotta' say that I really like his go after the ball attitude. 1 big playmaker, 1 more season with Henne and a WR coach away from making this an elite core.

21. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Henne will settle down and start making more happen he already improved as the season played out.

22. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    i do believe without question that there was a 'transition' period of a couple weeks for the WRs to get used to catching a rocket .... as far as touch goes .... i agree henne needs to get better in that aspect - but really, just how many touch passes did Dan throw ...... Henne will continue to learn and get better - but he will also take some chances ... its all situational -- and each one presents its own lesson.

with Henne at the helm, we definately need WRs with 'soft' hands ... if you can't catch a rocket - you can't be a WR here ......

23. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

As I said in another thread part of Henne's problem is that he has an astigmatism in his right eye and has had it since the 3rd grade and he doesn't wear corrective glasses. So, yes Henne is part of the problem.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...010/01/miami-dolphins-quarterback-update.html

As one who has this problem and is also a shooter I would be willing to bet the livestock that his accuracy or lack there of stems from this issue. I will also state that it never gets anything but worse over time. While I'm sure that those of you who don't see this as a problem will point out this game or that stat to backup your claim I will state again I think you are wrong and the funny thing is, if this is his problem, it's so easy to correct and if hes not willing to do whatever is necessary to solve his problem then he's not the guy I thought he was.

Now having said that I also feel that we need an upgrade in our WR group, too.:wink2:

Agua likes this.
  24. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I think the decision was made before the ball was snapped way too many times this year. Now, I have no idea if that's the coaches making that decision, or Henne. But ball snap, henne looks at his route, and lets it go. No development at all sometimes of routes etc. Again, I do not know if that was Henne, or Henning, making that call.

Infuriates me everytime I see it because, well with such a play, it's like an 8 yard out. All the time. Gets kind of annoying when we want chunk yardage but we get dunk yardage.

I like Henne though, and want to see a little more accuracy on the short routes, and for our frigging coaching staff who call play action pass on 4th and long at the end of games, to let him loose once in a while. We have the fastest guy in the league and we take 4 shots down the field all year? IT's maddening.

25. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    gafinfan, from your link:

He probably read the PFF numbers too ...

26. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    but 0-3 in 2009 has nothing to do with what CP did in 2008 and that was much better what henne did in 2009

27. tx-fin

tx-fin Keeping the faith

Sep 11, 2010
    See name
    Yes, I think he has a lot to do with it. Not sure what some people consider "open" for a reciever, but Chad seems to be waiting for a five yard gap before he will throw it. Seeing how inaccurate he is though, that might be why. A good QB will be able to place the ball where only the receiver can get it, even when a defender is very close, but he does not have that type of accuracy. No doubt he has a strong arm, and can deliver the ball with speed, but he also needs a greater margin for error because of this. No sin on his part; there have been very few strong arm QBs that are also very accurate. Point is though, that at this level, a receiver getting a foot of separation at times is all that should be needed, and a QB at this level should be able to deliver. If they want to maximize his ability, they should send Marshall long a few more times, and MAKE Henne throw it out there, even if he is covered. Allow Marshall the chance to fight for the ball, because the odds are definitely in his favor, and Henne will not have to worry as much about accuracy.

m ino and mi2cents like this.
  28. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    i need to save time, so heres my answer.....

no.

29. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Unless you are live, its hard to see the receivers getting separation down field, so until we have a post with someone at the game live, i will assume no one is open and Henne is trying to play mistake free.

30. Da-PhinZ

Da-PhinZ New Member

May 9, 2010
    Menifee
    Seriously why is this thread back. To me its not relevant. I don't see anything wrong w/ our receivers at this time.

Does Henne need to improve, yes.
    Is it Obvious, yes.:smackhead:
    Is he getting better, yes.

So just give him a break.

GMJohnson and SeanP like this.
  31. NYFinFan

NYFinFan Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Long Island, New York
    I think he's been groomed and coached to not make mistakes and make the safe throws. Dierdorf even mentioned it a few different times in the game yesterday. Once everyone, including him, become comfortable with what Henne CAN do then the offense will open up. They need to remove the kiddy gloves from him though.

32. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Does anyone think that the coaches don't recognize the howitzer that's attached to Henne's right shoulder..

There is something going on..were in the process of changing the game...

quote from ricky william's.." you have no idea who the miami dolphin are this year."

33. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    ricky better shut up and play, he is looking slow out there

34. Shamboubou

Shamboubou Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Well I guess since this was my thread that I started in January I will reply to my own thread with my update of Henne this year.

To start with I think we have really seen a lot of progression from Henne, I'm not even sure how this thread has risen from the ash's of january. I think we have seen him develop some touch on the ball this year and his is making good decisions out there.

He also is still a very young and inexperienced QB. He has missed some throws, missed some open recievers, and been late on some throws that needed to be seen earlier.

I do like that he is letting the plays progress a lot more, I seen a thread about him hanging onto the ball too long and blah blah, I'm fine with taking a couple sacks to give the WR's a chance to get open downfield for a 20+ yard gain.

Overall some improvement in my opinion, I think our playcalling has been terrible, has hindered Henne's progression this year more than anything, but that is a whole nother thread.

35. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Until we actually decide to throw it, how the hell will we actually know? Its only week two, and there is still a lot of football to be played, but we really need to figure out if he is the guy this year or not. If not, we need to do what we need to do to get one.

Personally, I think he is, and I would like to see him get the chance. As well as the Jests play the run, and as pitiful as NE's pass defense is, I expect and hope to see a lot more passing these next two games.

36. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    How do you know we haven't decided to throw it?

So far the passing game just isn't working. Miami called passing plays, however Henne didn't make the most of them.

37. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

I disagree with any thread that is bumped unless it is one of mine. :shifty:

I am fine with holding things back and only showing enough to win games. The less our competitors have on tape, the better in my opinion. I expect some new wrinkle with the Wildcat this week against the Jets and I expect us to challenge the Jets dinged up and thinning defensive backfield with a few passes downfield.

Remember, we play within the trenches more often than not. We will go down the field a few times a game to keep defenses honest and make them think twice about dropping the safety down into the box.

Henne will be fine...or he won't be...I plan on forming my opinion after more evidence is compiled and I can make a safe assumption. :lol:

djphinfan likes this.
  38. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Chad Penny in his 9th year better than Chad Henne in his first year, got it. Excellent analysis there slick. Any more nuggets of wisdom for us?

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  39. cobrajet

cobrajet Mr. Ross - sell the team!

Jan 12, 2010
    Lets not panic, everything will be alright.

It takes a long time to build synergy between the WR's and the QB in the passing game. I think that Henne will settle down and the situation will improve, but you can tell that they are telling Henne not to make mistakes because he looks awfully stiff; almost like he's a little afraid of the game.

In a few weeks everything will find its groove and we'll see more points on the board. There are a lot of new faces and WR's that need to settle in, and they will. Everyone needs to exhale and just enjoy the win. The players are focusing on winning one play at a time and the fans should be focused on the same. By week 8 this team will really be lighting up the field.

40. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Context would be prudent: