1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Gibril Wilson miscast in the Dolphins defense?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Dec 23, 2009.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Is Gibril Wilson miscast in the Dolphins defense?
    http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thed...ibril-wilson-miscast-in-the-dolphins-defense/

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  2. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    The Gerbil is miscast as a pro football player.

Puka-head, Crappy Tipper and SICK like this.
  3. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I think it's pretty apparent this role isn't the best for him.

I'd be surprised if we have the same starting duo next season.

jetssuck and Stitches like this.
  4. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    He is no better than Renaldo Hill...and thats not good. Not sure of the cap ramafications for cutting him, but dont hink he should be starting.

5. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Depending on how our playoff chances look after Sunday, I think we see a lot of Clemons against Pitt.

6. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    hes worse than renaldo hill. our db's last year were horrible the first few weeks (cardinals game anyone) and once hill came in and replaced crocker.....the communications were solid and they picked up their play. wilson is a joke

add him to the list of wilford, eric green imo

Thunderbolt89 and Fin-Omenal like this.
  7. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    As well as a lot of Clemons next year :up:

anlgp likes this.
  8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Renaldo Hill was pretty good IMO. He was just an awful open field tackler from everything I remember. However, he was disciplined in coverage IIRC.

9. krypto

krypto Banned

Sep 22, 2009
    I dont know how Gibril Wilson can walk into the Fins locker room knowing every game, he's the reason for the big play. As a man, that embarrassment should motivate him enough.

10. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Wilson is doing exactly what he was brought in to do; play at the LOS. He wasn't brought in to be a ballhawk or play centerfield. They wanted two SS's.

11. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Did we go with TWO SS because of Quarters??

12. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I think we went with two SS because they don't want teams to run on us, and ideally our CBs will be able to hold up in man coverage without much help. It hasnt worked this season, mainly because our CBs are both rookies. But considering that we are in man coverage almost exclusively, and the fact that Wilson has never been a good coverage guy, I'm led to believe thats the system they want in place.

eric likes this.
  13. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    gerbil wilson is gene atkins all over again

14. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    No, no they did not. I have mentioned this here already...........

Everyone wondered about the signings of Wilson and Bell to 4 and 5 year contracts in the offseason. I didn't pay much attention to it in the offseason. I assumed Wilson was going to play FS. I had never payed much attention to the play of Gibril Wilson. So I didn't too much care about the signing. That is until I saw the product on the field this year. Not just the product of Gibril Wilson but the product of the secondary.

Something didn't make sense to me. This front office had made too many wise decisions for this bumbling crew to be the plan. So I went looking for contracts. My thinking was that if you sniff out a contract, you usually get an accurate picture of what's going on. We all knew that Bell and Wilson signed contracts this offseason and what I was really wondering was how much cap room it was going to cost to get out of one of those contracts - namely Gibril Wilson's contract.

Then I found something. It may not be anything that amounts to a hill of beans - but I found something.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11479997

THIS IS ALL OPINION:

When I saw that article the picture got a little clearer. They signed Gibril Wilson in February to be the longer term strong safety. Yeremiah Bell was still shopping the free agent market when Wilson signed his deal. They liked Wilson more than Bell. Bell could not find the deal that he wanted. He was worth 6 million to the Dolphins FOR A YEAR. Bell is the odd man out in the future. Still stuck without a free safety, the Phins continued shopping and settled on Chris Clemons in the draft. Still not satisfied, they release Crocker and sign Culver. They see something they do not like. They just have not had the time to fill all the holes.

15. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IMO the FO made a mistake by going with the two SS model. I know how much they value players that are interchangeable, so I see why they did it. But in this league, one of the biggest impact positions it the ball hawking S. They are game changers.

S used to be an after-thought position but as the rules are being enforced they have become what shut-down CBs used to be.

adamprez2003, jetssuck and dolphan117 like this.
  16. mracer

mracer New Member

Dec 13, 2009

Nice find. That makes a lot of sense, although I think Bell might still be a better SS than Wilson. I just hope Clemens can develop into our starting FS.

17. eric

eric New Member

Oct 11, 2009
    i doubt they brought wilson in to replace bell. and if that was the original plan, i cant imagine it remaining.

i remember many more bad plays from wilson then i do from bell.
    and i remember many more good plays from bell then i do from wilson.

18. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Depressed is more like it.

SICK and dolphan117 like this.
  19. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Gibril is at the wrong spot he is a SS not a FS

20. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    1) things change
    2) wilson & bell are very good @ ss
    3) clemons w/ a find. he can & will compete for a start
    4) our secondary is developing nicely across the board
    5) there is no one reason for us losing a game. we are in the second year of reconstruction
    6) bell & wilson are improving w/ the rest of the secondary & are a potentially devastating combination

21. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Nice find Zod. I remember being a little puzzled as to why they resigned Yeremiah to that deal at 31 years old - just didn't seem to fit the MO of this front office. That $14 roster bonus is a nice little caveat for renegotiation in there. I think Wilson would do fine as a SS; just needs to sure up his tackling a bit.

22. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Then you definitely have selective memory IMO. It might be a little more in favor of one or the other overall, but not "many more" in both directions in favor of Bell.

Stringer Bell likes this.
  23. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    bell & wilson & clemons
    will play according to defensive needs
    & the defense will vary
    too much negative banter about bell
    (could say the same about henne too & it would be just as unfair)
    every unit moves like a clock
    it has to be in gear & synchronized
    we've gotten a tremendous year
    out of a secondary
    that has not not been set properly
    got to tinker w/ this thing, set the time
    this is Year-Two of the Rebuilding

24. phineas64

phineas64 Season Ticket Holder

Pretty much the polar opposite of Wilson. Decent (not great) tackler, horrible in coverage.

25. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    Someone should tell him he is a free safety

and to think we could have signed Darren Sharper
    and his 8 interceptions as a stop gap till Clemons came around...BUT NO

8 interceptions added to our secondary could of had us already in the playoffs

26. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Didn't you say that we weren't playing man to man on the outside the other day in the chat?

Are you messing with us foreigners again? :tongue2:

27. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    So, we've now done this with our ILB's and S's. Interesting........that spells a pattern or belief system. I also wonder what that hold for Will Allen?

28. bluehaze

bluehaze New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Judging from the contracts it seems like they are planning on keeping Wilson and getting rid of Bell (At least that's what I take from Zod's post?). I always liked Bell and im pretty sure he's a fan favorite so the FO must know something we don't but I really don't see them paying Bell 14 million or whatever it is to stay here next year. I think we're stuck with Wilson wether it be for good or bad, maybe he lights it up with a real FS back there and himself playing SS.

29. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Just because Sharper is doing that in NO, doesn't mean he'd be doing it here. Gregg Williams is a great D coordinator, 11 players on that team have INTs. If Sharper were here we have no clue that we would be playing any different a defense from what we are now. And if that were the case, Sharper would be lucky to have like 3 picks.

30. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Will Allen at FS? :shifty:

31. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I don't remember saying that:dunno:

I think we've played man to man on the outside on every big play we've given up

32. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    clemmons wasnt playing a little bit on defense in the begining.....i havent seen him as much now. did he do bad? or are they letting him take it in and learn? or is it just culvers play has been real good and he leaped him on the depth chart?

33. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    exactly. they rolled the dice, which I dont fault them for but it didnt work out. They need the traditional FS player back there which hopefully Clemons becomes but Wilson will probably have to be let go because I dont see Wilson backing up Bell or vice versa

34. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    AFAIK Culver has always been ahead of Clemons on the depth chart. Even the game where Clemons started I was pretty sure Culver started as well. At the very least Culver has always been "ahead" on the depth chart save for the one Jets game where Clemons started.

SICK likes this.
  35. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    They resign Allen and then draft two rookies behind him, interesting is all I'm saying.

You know Allen at FS may not be all that bad, although is he really all that good a tackler? Then again, is he worse than Wilson?

36. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    actually not a bad idea as a backup plan to Clemons not developing. Unless we draft one of course

37. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    So you think Bell is worth that $14 mil roster bonus he is due next year, on top of the accelerated bonus money it would cost to cut Wilson? As opposed to having Wilson slide over to SS and getting a different FS, while releasing Bell.

Frankly I think you could swap Bell and Wilson right now, and I am pretty sure Wilson would be doing as well as Bell has at SS, but I don't know that Bell would be doing as well (or as bad, depending on how you see the glass) as Wilson has at FS. So take that fwiw.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  38. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Re: Allen @ FS

It would essentially be Renaldo Hill part 2. Hill was also a CB when he came into this league, but I don't know who has worse ball skills. I just know that it is not uncommon for savvy veteran CBs to move back to FS once they start to lose a step (Troy Vincent I believe did it, and I know Rod Woodson did). And seeing as how Allen will be coming off an ACL injury, I would wager he will have lost a step.

39. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    there you go throwing in contracts and money and stuff :lol: well no way is bell worth that money so unless he's willing to a new contract then we would have to ditch him and go with Wilson. I think Bell is better but its not a grand canyon that seperates them. contract differential might play a huge role in who we keep and let go

40. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I think we should keep Wilson and Bell just to make the games more exciting, plays longer than 30yds are fun!!!

Who really wants to see a Safety make a tackle or an interception, the real game is failing to do either whilst the superstar Wr looks damn pretty.

adamprez2003 likes this.