1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is E.A. Wallis Budge a Thief?

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by alen1, Sep 24, 2009.

1. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    As the title asks, is EA Wallis Budge a thief? According to Egyptians, he is one because he stole Egyptian artifacts. However, he purchased it on the black market in Egypt and preserved the artifacts, which is something the Egyptians failed to do. What do you guys think about him? Do you find him to be a thief or a great historian?

2. USArmyFinFan

USArmyFinFan Maximum Effort

Mar 23, 2008
    Houston Texas
    I think we need more of the story, like what are his intentions with the artifacts? If he hordes them away, thief, if they go in a museum, historian.

gafinfan likes this.
  3. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Details??????

gafinfan likes this.
  4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Basically what he did was purchase Egygptian artifacts from a black market in Egypt. The Egyptian museums did not preserve the artifacts and didn't take care of them, so he purchased the items, deciphered the hieroglyphics and wrote a translation book of the Book of the Dead, which is the most famous scroll in Egypt. Many Egyptians have said that he's a thief because the government stated that the artifacts were not to be sold but he found them and purchased them. He didn't sell them as profit, instead preserved them as stated and wanted to find out about Egyptian history.

The way I look at it is, he did purchase them illegally but they were out there and he took a chance on it. He also took care of it and helped Egyptians learn about their culture in the early years. He published a translation of the Book of the Dead in 1890 I think and the Book of the Dead also has helped shape the Bible.

gafinfan likes this.
  5. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

This quote comes to mind "What man is a man who does not make the world a better place." - Kingdom of Heaven. Or even better "We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst." C.S.L.

While I'm sure he had many reasons to do what he did he also did a good thing which the Egyptians did not.:wink2:

alen1 likes this.
  6. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    To live in the world without becoming aware of the meaning of the world is like wandering about in a great library without touching the books.
    —The Secret Teachings of All Ages

http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/sta/

alen1 and gafinfan like this.
  7. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Double WOW, Thank you 1000 times over! As long as I can read and learn I'm willing to stay around.:up:

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  8. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Its a very, very, well detailed account of so many interesting Physical science and metaphysical science areas that I too am fascinated.

Lots to digest, and read and re-read to fully comprehend. Glad you get a chance to enjoy it too.:hi5:

gafinfan likes this.
  9. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Actions are about intent.

He had good intent IMO

he gets a :up: from me

On an aside the book of the dead is interesting if anyone wants a PDF copy I'm sure I can dig it up. edit: http://www.sacred-texts.com has it and http://www.sacred-texts.com/egy/ebod/index.htm there it is.

ps

you posted something that wasn't about sports :omg: :lol:

gafinfan and alen1 like this.