1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Drake the real deal?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by JJ_79, Dec 12, 2017.

1. JJ_79

JJ_79 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Germany
    I start to really like the kid, at first I was concerned about the fumbles and durability but he really impressed in the last 2 games. Was thinking about taking a RB in Rd1 but this doesn't seem necessary anymore, I just hope he holds up...

eltos_lightfoot, dolphin25 and KeyFin like this.
  2. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    I think they should still pick up a RB in the draft or FA, but Drake is the real deal. His fumbling "problem" has been over exaggerated.

He's better than Ajayi and there really is no question...

3. dirtylandry

dirtylandry Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2015
    imagine him paired with Bell? Build on strengths

Rickysabeast likes this.
  4. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Drake is the more complete back!I don't remember having any success with ajay split out wide.

5. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    He's been great, but we need another all-arounder.

6. dirtylandry

dirtylandry Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Gase is looking like a genius I have to admit. Wish he could have benched him instead and forget the 4th, but whetever

7. JJ_79

JJ_79 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Germany
    Yeah but now it doesn't seem like a big need anymore... :)

8. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    danmarino likes this.
  9. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    It's starting to look like he's quite capable of being a feature back. Ball security has been an issue early on, but so far it appears he's cleaned that up. He's improved quite a bit in his short time here. Sometimes when it comes to durability, and ability, some of these kids just need some time in the system, and in particular the strength and conditioning programs. It can go a long way in helping them grow during an offseason. He's clearly benefited from that IMO.

From an ability stand point, the kid has skill. He's running hard, he's not afraid to lower the shoulder and take guys on, he's got some slick moves which help him make guys miss, and he's taking advantage of that skill set, and he's got some speed. Right now, he's doing a good job of seeing something, and hitting that hole aggressively. He's making things happen, when nothing is there.

10. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    That long run last night was insane....and it sucks he didn't score (he deserved a TD after that insane move). It was obvious Gruden was rooting for the Pats but he talked about that play at least a half dozen times.

11. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Drake is realizing his full potential... Elite. I compare him to Bell, D.Cook, only derailed by random injuries & hidden behind Lacy,Henry.

That said, Even if Drake rips off 3 more 100 yard games I'm still not sold on his durability for an entire season,250-300 touches.

UFA D.Williams will be looking for $. Upwards of 2.5m. Gase loves him, but knows he's not a pure runner to lean on.

Back by committee approach isn't successful in the league, and an offense can only survive that way with elite Qb play.

IMO After winning two in a row, with Drake totaling about 300 yards... we just dropped out of the Barkely/Guice/Love sweepstakes, which is actually good. But we're going to target a guy to compete with Drake. Mando thinks it's Dion Lewis, but if Denver drops CJ he'll be right over and be given the chance to leapfrog Drake, I'm sure of It!

number21 likes this.
  12. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    One play that caught my eye (and caught Gruden's as well) was his blitz pickup on the missed bomb to Grant later in the game. If he can continue in that aspect as well, its going to be hard to take him off the field.

13. tirty8

tirty8 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2016
    I think you asked the wrong question. I think this topic should be, "Who is Kenyan Drake?"

Drake is a big play waiting to happen. He has elite speed. He is decisive, picks a hole and goes. This is what the staff was saying with Ajayi trying to make every run a big run. Drake does not hesitate to take smaller chunks. He is a great pass catcher out of the backfield.

Who Kenyan Drake is not.

He is not a power back. It drives me crazy when Gase sends him out in short yardage situations. That is not his forte. He is not the type of back that will break tackles either.

So in a sense, he is the real, but I do think it would be wise to draft a complementary back. We need a bruiser that can pick up short yardage. I do think that Williams would fit this mold, but I know he wanted out of town last season and was mad that he was tendered. I wouldn't give him a big contract either. I don't think it would be difficult to replace him.

number21 and Colmax like this.
  14. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    He had AT LEAST four beautiful blocks like that that I saw....I've been trying to watch him a lot more on passing plays because of prior arguments here over Ajayi/Williams/Drake pass blocking. I didn't see him miss a blitz a single time last night. That doesn't mean he didn't....I just didn't see it.

15. LI phinfan

LI phinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Awfully quiet around here, especially from a distinct few that killed Gase about getting rid of Ajayi. Seems to be working out O.K huh? All of a sudden, Gase does not seem to be such an ego driven clueless coach who should be fired. Who would have thought that?

16. shamegame13

shamegame13 Madison & Surtain

Dec 15, 2014
    Need to see more reps... too small of a sample size so far, however, he does look great.

dolphin25 likes this.
  17. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    Drake is leading the league in yards after contact. He's not going to move the pile, but he's hard to take down.

rafael, eltos_lightfoot and number21 like this.
  18. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    I like the fact he came from big school and did not play much in college. He looks more powerful this year then last.

19. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    It works well for Atlanta and Carolina.

danmarino likes this.
  20. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    I think he will be fine as a "power" back, but i did love the handoff to the FB last night. Tony used to do that all the time and the FB got like 10 first downs in a row. Very effective play

tirty8, KeyFin and danmarino like this.
  21. number21

number21 Active Member

Sep 1, 2015
    North Miami
    I think he's more talented than Ajayi.

22. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    I don't think we bring anyone in to compete. I think we bring someone in to compliment. I believe Gase would love two backs just like Drake.

23. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Agreed. Not only more powerful, but quicker as well.

It's a hard comparison to me. They're different style backs. Ajayi is more your bull in a china shop type RB who's biggest strength is... strength. Drake is a more complete RB IMO. He can run with speed, power, he's got moves ,he's a better route runner and receiver. Easy to say he's more talented, and I'd likely agree, because Drake does more things, provides you with more options from the position than Ajayi does. Could we have ever lined up Ajayi wide and throw him a deep ball downfield like we did with Drake last night? Never. No chance. The beauty of that play now being on tape, is that it's proven to be effective. He's not out there as a decoy, he can be a threat to a D when they see that formation. Nice to see us really exploit some mismatches. However, that's not to take anything away from Ajayi, because he's obviously still a talented, gifted runner. He's just going to fill a different role for you, it depends what you're looking for from the position.

number21, dolphin25, Fin D and 2 others like this.
  24. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I'm honestly not trying to break your balls or anything, but WADR, you say it is a hard comparison but then go on to lay out a pretty solid argument for Drake being vastly superior to Ajayi (which I believe).

It is just funny (not in a douche way) to me that you're reluctant to say the words even though you clearly believe them.

25. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    I think that was what Gase was really wanting all along. That single back that could do all those things instead of having a back to run the ball and a back to catch the ball. Much easier to make a defense think when one guy can do it all.

danmarino likes this.
  26. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    This is exactly the case.

That's why i don't think Gase wants a power back. If anything he'd want one guy who could be Drake AND a power back.

eltos_lightfoot and LI phinfan like this.
  27. LI phinfan

LI phinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Doug Martin or CJ Anderson come to mind if we decide on a veteran next season....Just thinking Lamar Miller could be pretty good option also

danmarino and Fin D like this.
  28. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    I think he's saying Ajayi would be better in a different system, a system that highlights his strengths, than Drake would. But that is sort of an obvious statement.

I, personally, think that would be a power-running scheme but apparently Ajayi preferred the outside zone while he was here. Drake works for Gase's system, much more multi-dimensional. I'd be interested to see who would be better with a fullback. My guess would be Ajayi. Then again, would he see the field if he's being selfish towards his teammates and coaches?

Fin D likes this.
  29. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Yeah, if Anderson finally breaks free, count on him being a Dolphin and us being set at RB, IMO.

danmarino and LI phinfan like this.
  30. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I'm sure you're right about what Brandon meant, like I said it was just humorous (again not in a bad way) to me.

invid likes this.
  31. Mike8272

Mike8272 Active Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Drake performed very well last night. His spin move was a thing of beauty and so was that catch on the seam route. Even if he isn't used as a feature back when Williams returns and/or when we head into next season, his skill set and play making ability should ensure him of at least being the two in a one-two punch, but as things stand I could see him being the one in a one-two punch. Drake has a bright future as long as he can stay healthy and productive.

dolphin25, KeyFin, danmarino and 2 others like this.
  32. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Those two plays were what really stood out to me. Gruden even called that route as they lined up - total mismatch, we went right for it, and the kid made a play.

The spin move was brutal. That should have been a 3-4 yard loss, instead it was almost a touchdown. Those plays are the type of thing we see the best backs do and what separates them from the herd.

It will be interesting to see them @Buff depending on weather. If it's anything like this past weekend, running game will be crucial.

Unless he gets hurt or regresses severely in these last 3 weeks, I think we need to pencil him at RB1 and focus on getting him a sidekick to replace Williams who is likely gone in the offseason.

33. tirty8

tirty8 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2016
    I'd love to pair him with Blount.

danmarino likes this.
  34. Rickysabeast

Rickysabeast Royale With Cheese

Jul 26, 2016
    I think we need a longer campaign to deem real deal-ness or not. So far, he's looking good!

shamegame13 likes this.
  35. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    As impressive as those plays were it was the pass protection and blitz pick ups that really stood out to me. He flat STONED some guys that would have killed Cutler with Ajayi in there. One of the keys to the game I think

36. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Well, he's out-performed Ajayi every week so far (when you add runs/catches), and we were all sold that Ajayi was the real deal. That's as real of a deal as I need heading into Buffalo.

37. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    I have to admit I saw him running down field with that 32 on this back and I thought of all the great running backs that wore that number.

KeyFin likes this.
  38. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    The spin move breaking Chung's ankles made me giggle.

eltos_lightfoot and KeyFin like this.
  39. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I think he wants one of everything to exploit whatever mismatch he sees. I freaking LOVED the fullback runs last night because it was the right call for the right time.

40. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I disagree, i think he wants one player to be able to be versatile to exploit whatever mismatch he sees...mostly in RB and TE. I don't think he likes to change the play call package based on who is in.