1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ireland's words weigh heavy in Kansas City

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Apr 18, 2008.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    I don't know if Miami's Jeff Ireland slipped or intentionally led listeners astray when he said the Dolphins would take someone with their first pick who could make an immediate impact on defense.

But I do remember what a general manager told me a long time ago: Rely more on what you hear a month before the draft instead of what you hear a week before. And what I heard three weeks ago was how hot and bothered the Dolphins were over Virginia defensive end Chris Long.

Frankly, that leads me to believe Ireland pulled a Ricky Williams and dropped the ball, and if I'm right -- if he fumbled and Miami is leaning toward Long -- it has repercussions for the top end of the draft board.

And the greatest impact might be felt by Kansas City.

At this juncture, the Chiefs are hoping Michigan tackle Jake Long gets to them, but that's not likely. If Miami doesn't draft him, St. Louis could. The Rams are hung up between Jake Long and LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey, but it would be hard to pass up a chance to shore up one of the league's worst offensive lines.

Let's say that happens and the Rams tap Jake Long. That would leave Atlanta with the choice of Dorsey or Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan at the third position. I'm already on record as saying the Falcons should take Ryan, but that was before I thought Dorsey could slip to them.

The Falcons need a new face for their franchise, and the squeaky-clean Ryan is the perfect guy. But how can you pass on Dorsey? He might be the best player in the draft, and general managers and scouts tell me they aren't concerned about his medical history.

Besides, Atlanta's new head coach is a former defensive coordinator, and one thing about new head coaches is they like to lean to their side of the ball when it comes to the draft.

Let's pencil in Dorsey to the Falcons. That would leave Oakland to choose among Arkansas running back Darren McFadden, Ohio State defensive end Vernon Gholston and Ryan. We know the Raiders aren't interested in Ryan, and we also know McFadden is a higher-rated player than Gholston -- provided, of course, you can live with the baggage.

Somehow, I think the Raiders can. They are the original Pride and Poison gang, interested only in what you can do for them on the football field -- and, in McFadden's case, it could be considerable.
    Let's put him there.

LINK to rest of story
    http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10786557

sports24/7 and Larryfinfan like this.