1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ireland: Vernon is going to get much, much better

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by slickj101, Feb 10, 2013.

1. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    - http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...es-coley-on-ums-offense-dolphins-marlins.html

Gotta love having Wake there to teach him and take his game to another level. He already looks like he spends the most time in the gym out of our rookies. I'm sure DJ will attest.

Also:

Bingo.

PhinsRock, CWBIII, DHPVW and 2 others like this.
  2. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    If Bush really wants to come back to Miami that badly I would hope they could find a place for him on the team and come to an agreement on a reasonable deal. The impact he can have on games can't be denied.

3. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    1) It would be great if Vernon stepped his game up. The Phins need another guy who can add pressure from the outside.

2) It's obvious that the Phins interest to bring back Bush is tepid, at best. I think he's gone. I think a good spot for him to land is Detroit, although I know nothing of their cap situation.

4. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Not holding my breath. Would love to see them move him inside on pass rush downs a la Wallace Gilberry.

5. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I wouldn't be very confident going into the season with Miller and Thomas as our backs.
    Miller is still mostly a mystery and Thomas is trash.

6. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Maybe Ireland's got wood for Mike Goodson.....one can hope ;p Either that or he is looking for a tough between the tackles runner to replace Thomas/Compliment Miller with.

That should say it all about any rumors coming out on our own FA's.

7. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    We really should retain Reggie B

And I like Baby Squid's game, once again more than most do.

8. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't understand why Vernon has been so largely written off. He was pretty widely understood to be raw in terms of pass-rushing moves coming out, and his performance in that area this year really shouldn't be such that they cast doubts on his career.

He pretty clearly bit as a rookie, though. He might be more Anthony Spencer than Demarcus Ware, but that's ok.

I also think there's a pretty good chance that Derrick Shelby is a pretty good football player. He seemed to slump at the end of the year, but the guy seemed like he was close to the quarterback a lot early on relative to his snap count.

9. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Derrick Shelby could be a pretty good football player. He and Olivier Vernon are similar with the primary difference between the two being that the coaches already have very little expectations of Shelby in pass rush whereas with Vernon that's probably going to be a process before they figure it out.

10. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    I think it's probably time to check yourself if you're subtly bragging about waiting for professional NFL coaches to catch on to something you decided was true what, like September of last year?

11. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Has nothing to do with bragging. It's just reality. They still believe in Olivier Vernon's ability to be a good pass rusher from an end position. I don't, and I think I'm going to end up right.

Hey if you think we should all bow and scrape to NFL coaches and evaluators and take their word on everything, never disagree with them and swallow whatever they think whole, that's your prerogative.

12. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I hope Vernon is being groomed as Misi's replacement so we can spend Koa's future contract elsewhere. Vernon seems a tad more athletic and with better pass rush potential, not by much, but better is still better. My 2 cents.

Da 'Fins and mroz like this.
  13. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    It's been said before by a couple of folks including myself, this kid is very very strong..when you see him in person you notice the thickness of his joints, and the width of his shoulders, hips and thighs..if he does this right this offseason, with wake all day teaching him how to work out, pass rush moves, that's exciting to me..I also said this in camp, this is a tough sob..he really wants to be a good football player.

DHPVW, gafinfan and mroz like this.
  14. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Completely agree. He seems like he has really good work ethic which can make up for a lot in this league.

15. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Vernon to improve. This is a guy with not a lot of games under his belt even at the college level. He also began his career under a Randy Shannon coaching staff which means he wasn't getting the coaching he needed as a young player. One would hope being coached by one of the best line coaches in the NFL in Kacy Rodgers and getting to pick the brain of one of the best defensive players in the NFL will get the most out of him.

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  16. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I think what could help Vernon is the fact Coyle likes to mix up the way he brings pressure, including frequently rushing extra defenders. I'm not certain he'll become a great pass rusher, but I could see him being more effective in Coyle's scheme than in a 4 man front constantly lined up at 7 or 9 technique. Perhaps lining him up inside like you said.

17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I think you will end up being wrong on Vernon, when I see OV I see great ankle flexion and decent speed/power/speed

The one caveat is they will be very tempted to use him at Lb instead of De which means less pass rushing chances.

18. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    He should definitely improve. That's not in question. But even improving, I doubt he'll ever be a good pass rusher from end.

19. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Did that article just say Lamar Miller is more talented than Reggie Bush? lulz. Maybe one day... But that day isn't today.

20. Sounds like Ireland is getting ready to cut him.

21. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Slow feet.
    Wishful thinking GM.

Same old **** sure to come out of Ireland's draft anus this April the way it's sounding.

Yep, no worries folks. We have Olivier Vernon at rush end for the next ten years. No need to prioritize a DE.

In other news, Odrick is the prototypical DE apparently.

(Misuse = abuse. Our posters are better assessors of our resources and draft picks than our own team)

Aquafin and unifiedtheory like this.
  22. Bpk

You may safely substitute the word 'know' for doubt.

23. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Vernon can play, imo he's already shown more raw athleticism than Koa Misi

But overall..spot on, most fans were rose colored glasses when it comes to what the team puts out vis a vis players

We know better.

24. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    It's not the idea that NFL coaches and evaluators are in infallible, because they clearly aren't. It's not really even so much your relative lack of qualifications, either. It's that you've set the Dolphins coaches up as straw men for what you seem to believe will be your own self-aggrandizement. You have no idea what the Dolphins coaches actually think about Olivier Vernon, but you've got no problems assigning them a convenient position. The Dolphins coaches will believe Olivier Vernon(Who like any draft pick is more likely than not to fail), and you're brave and smart enough to claim otherwise based on...?

GMJohnson and Triggercut like this.
  25. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I do expect Vernon to improve significantly, but doubt he'll ever be considered a great pass rusher. I don't think he has that killer first step and I don't see any other area where he'll be so superlative that he could compensate as a pass rusher. I think his strength will allow him to excel at setting the edge, but I don't see the ability to use that leverage to get past the blocker. I do think he can become decent at coverage in the short zones and very good against the run. I think we need another quick twitch rusher opposite Wake and I hope that we won't expect Vernon to fill that role.

mbsinmisc and Bpk like this.
  26. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I guess it depends on your interpretation of good, but I think he can be a good enough pass rusher where he can be a solid to good starting/rotational DE that can be moved around.

27. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    What I see in his game is the Wakelike rubber ankles, and a good, not great, speed/power combination.

His problem looks like once he ets his hands into the tackle's chest, he does not then have a nature "shed" move, he sort of looks like "okay got the chest, he is off balance, now what"?

28. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    [​IMG]

GMJohnson, Bpk and Anonymous like this.
  29. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Easy to expect progress from 2nd year players. Vernon has the athleticism and strength to make a drastic jump forward IMO...

Trace Armstrong was one of the few exceptions I can remember who actually grew into a good pass rusher. Usually you can tell right away.

Bpk likes this.
  30. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    This is really just a whole lot of hogwash and projection based on not a lot. The Dolphins still like Olivier Vernon and think he can develop as a pass rusher. Given the things they have said about him, the fact that they drafted him in the 3rd round, and the way they used him all through the year from start to finish, acting like I'm making some huge assumption that they still like him to develop as a pass rusher is disingenuous at best. Your entire line of argument and discussion is totally off topic and just a reach for a personal attack.

31. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    "Cameron Wake said he will spend time this offseason teaching Vernon more pass-rush moves."

In my opinion this mean absolutely nothing. Yes, it says a lot about Cam Wake but who is questioning the guys work ethic or his "team" ideal? I'm not. The guy is a machine who got everything he has through hard *** work. It also says something about Vernon wanting to get better.

That said, is Cam Wake going to teach Vernon his quick twitch, out of this World athleticism and the ability to do things that very few people can? No. Cam Wake does not have "moves" he can transfer through teaching and tips. He has moves because he is a ridiculous athlete and does things maybe a half dozen guys in the league can do.

I don't have high hopes for Vernon. He looked like "just a guy" to me. I hope I'm wrong. I also hope that Ireland is not banking on him breaking out and ignoring our need for another edge pass rusher, that would be a disaster.

Bpk likes this.
  32. Bpk

Carve this into a granite tablet and set it atop Dolphins HQ for all to see please, because this is deeply true on all counts. I could not have said it better myself.

Long term, it would be great to see Vernon moved to SOLB behind Misi, with a true DE opposite Wake.

rafael likes this.
  33. Bpk

Prepare to practice how you cope with disappointment.

34. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area

Pretty much agree, I just dont see OV as a passrusher… it just is not his game. Having said that, I love the kid. I think he is just one of those guys that comes up with a big play just when you need him to.

Bpk and ckparrothead like this.
  35. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    He showed a little bit of that last year, coming up with the right play in the right moment.

mroz likes this.
  36. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    good thing it is early February and we are not playing football. In the long run I think Miller is going to turn out to be a great NFL RB… Leaps and bounds ahead of Bush..

MAFishFan likes this.
  37. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Oh I do, keep in mind even Matt Roth developed into a passrusher and OV has more raw athleticism to work with imo

Roth was surprisingly athletic, but not on OV's level

38. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I just dont see the quickness needed BUT hey, I could be wrong. Everyone knows he was raw coming out. He was productive to a certain degree even though he was raw. I see him getting better and being a key member of this team going forward. If it is at DE (which I dont see) or OLB which I totally see.

Bpk likes this.
  39. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I think what will happen with him is "Vernon moving to SOLB"

Which on paper will limit his passrushing chances

Bpk likes this.
  40. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    What I like about this, is that the Dolphins' tradition continues when you have Trace Armstrong teaching JT who then teaches Wake and so on.

Bpk likes this.